Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » E-mail "Flix@film-tech.com" working?

Author Topic: E-mail "Flix@film-tech.com" working?
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 02:00 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Brad; Does this e-mail address still work? I tried to send some pictures, but the message bounces back...

Returned message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Flix@film-tech.com

Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;mail.hotmail.com
Arrival-Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 12:33:50 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;Flix@film-tech.com
Action: failed

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2000 02:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mail works, however there is a hard wall on attached file sizes currently. I'll email you with a way around it, which works for now.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else having this problem? It appears that the problem here is with Hotmail's DNS servers (which translate hostnames to IP addresses). Since you aren't having trouble getting to the web site, it's not a DNS issue with film-tech.com's nameservers (which I set up a while ago and seem to be working fine). I'd say that this is probably an artifact of Microsoft's (second) attempt at moving Hotmail from BSD and Solaris to Win2k and MS Exchange and the mess which is probably resulting from this (just a guess). Are you having difficulty in sending mail to other sites besides film-tech?

The MX record for film-tech.com "should" resolve to 24.218.153.173 at the moment. If anyone else is having trouble, _please_ let me know. If the issue relates only to Hotmail, then I'd suggest sending mail to postmaster@hotmail.com

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 02:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there's a high-ish size limit on incoming messages, but that's there mostly to keep the poor little mail server from crashing and burning. The bounce message would be different, though, if that were the problem here.

The incoming mail limit is pretty high, though (I forget what it is, but it's pretty generous). In general, email is just about the most inefficient possible way to transfer files, since it increases the file size by about 25% (due to uuencoding or MIME-encoding) and since it copies the file several times on several different hosts, which uses up disk space. Large files are best transferred via other means (ftp, etc.). (sorry, end of rant...)

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 02:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, crap. File size limit was 100k. I just increased it to 1 meg. Anything larger will bounce. Apologies to anyone who tried to send long emails or file attachments to Brad and got the bounce message...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does RFC822 define? Is it about MIME-encoding?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 04:11 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent stuff .. it works OK, now. Thanks Scott!

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 05:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RFC822 defines the standards for Internet mail. Stuff like valid address syntax, header formats, etc. The error was complaining that the domain name didn't resolve to an IP address. Oh, one other possibility, too, is that the mail server either doesn't understand or doesn't properly deal with MX records, but I'd say that any mail server in the year 2000 that doesn't properly handle MX records is horribly broken.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: