Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A prediction - Cheap projection equipment!

Author Topic: A prediction - Cheap projection equipment!
David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2000 02:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is probably stating the obvious, but we are about to see a big change in the availability and cost of quality used projection equipment.

For at least 10 years, most of the world has seen big growth in cinema screens, this growth is slowing. In addition many US screens will close as the industry rationalises itself in a shakeout that is a few years over due.

The combination of these two happenings means a large quantity of quality used projection equipment will come onto the market. Chritie's, Simplex and Century will be available used at lower prices than today as will Dolby, Speco, etc.

Whilst major circuits will still buy new, the second rung operators will have a viable option to new gear. It has been almost impossible in the past to build a 10-plex or larger with high end uniform used equipment - it just was not available (unless you wanted CP50, no turrets and ORC platters).

Make no mistake, the large chains will sell equipment from a closed venue fast, as keeping it without immediate redeployment plans costs even more money. Is this trend apparent yet?

David

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-06-2000 11:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I don't think real cheap would be the right term. In fact a number of the large chains here are re-using the equipment at different locations. Some are also obligated to still go in and build at certain sites. Regal did this in Portland. The place was put together all form pulled equipment. Yes, There will be some used stuff out there but as a dealer I'm not going to be the one to give it away.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: