Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'Clicking' in Left Surround in several auditoriums at 16-plex

Author Topic: 'Clicking' in Left Surround in several auditoriums at 16-plex
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 02:35 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I work at has CNA-100 automation systems in all auditoriums, and has CP-500 sound units in most of them and CP-65's with DTS in others. They also have Smart "Afterburner" (dynamic range limiter) units hooked up. I have noticed in at least 5 of these now that there is a random click coming from the Left Surround channel during the show, whether it is playing in digital or analog format. I think it only happens while the projector is running though, since I have never heard it during non-sync music though I haven't spent much time listening to that. At the end of shows there is a loud click, also from the left surrounds, when the projector shuts off after the tail end has run through though. The theater I worked at before had similar clicking noises, but only when the projector was being started or stopped. These are happening randomly while the show is running, with no cues or anything, and in every one I've noticed this it's always through the left surround channel, even if the film soundtrack is only analog.
Can anyone help me figure out what is causing this? I previously fixed a constant buzzing from the left surrounds in one theater that turned out to be a loose connection on the Afterburner, could that be causing this too?

|  IP: Logged

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 07:30 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My initial reation is that the afterburner is the culprit. No offense to Oscar, but I've never been a fan of these. If volume is a problem, turn the fader down. You said that you have CP500's. It is very easy to have preset fader levels (i.e. formats 1,4,5,60 and 61 set at 7.0 and formats 10 and 11 set to say 6.5).
Anyway. . .
Assuming that the corporate people will not let you and/or your tech eliminate the afterburners, try switching the unit from the house that is experienceing the problem with a house that is working fine. If the problem follows the unit, than the unit is at fault, if the problem dissapears, loose wiring was the problem. But before you go switching anything, check all of the wireing first. Make sure that none of the wires are loose and that there are no wires shorting (touching each other).
Have fun!
Jonathan

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2000 01:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The afterburner is probably not at fault as the control is common to all channels.
Also the problem is probably related to bad grounding.
If it occurs with the starting and stopping of the projector it is probably a unsuppressed relay contact.
Afterburners are very usefull at eliminateing overly loud portions. If the fader was just turned down in most cases the dialogue is driven into the ground

Roger Frazee
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 03:21 PM      Profile for Roger Frazee   Email Roger Frazee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem could be arcing in the platter micro-switches. Occasionally the sparking in the micro switches will create pops in the sound.

If this is the problem, a possible cure would be to place a .01mfd / 600 - volt capacitor across the switch. Putting a cap between hot and ground on the platter receptacle sometimes works as well.

Give me a call at the office if you like and we'll see if we can't come up with a solution.

------------------

Tim Killen
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 07:54 PM      Profile for Tim Killen   Email Tim Killen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a similiar problem with clicking on both surround channels, and it seems to be one of those bugs in the CP500 that happens from time to time, and I have had it occur at a few sites. What we did to fix the problem was to take it off the format screen and for some reason the clicking stopped, once the session had finished we would reboot the CP500. The clicking then woundn't occur for months on end. I know it seems strange, but it's one of those things. Dolby once explained it as certain resistors not coping with high humidity, which we didn't have, but that was there explaination, anyway give it a try when it next happens, and ley me know how you go.

Tim

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 08:20 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your clicking sounds come from CP500 houses only, check out field bulletin 200. If you have a CP500 house that is not exhibiting this clicking, try swapping the Cat 681 card with that house. Remember though, that the non sync levels are on that card and may need to be tweaked if you swap them.

ken

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2000 02:10 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, it sounds like the platters may possibly be the culprit (they are all Strongs). I will have to wait until next time nobody shows up for a movie, then go into the theater and stand up in the back row so I can watch the platter and listen to the surround speakers at the same time!
And yes, it is doing this on CP65s as well as CP500's, I'm not even positive that it isn't doing this on all of them. I will print this out and bring it over and see what we can do....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-13-2000 03:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Better idea...make yourself a giant loop of a trailer and go listen without the platter running. If the clicking is still there, it's not the platter.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2000 10:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, the problem is probably not the platters.

I know the guy that did the installation there. He said that several of the racks came in from Strong and were not wired right. IE missing components like monitors and afterburners. So check and double check the wiring in the racks.

There is something else you should check. Check the impedance rating of your surrounds. It should be between 4 and 8 ohms unloaded. The tech had a hard time doing that at my theatre when he did the install there. He set the surrounds for .8 ohms in the first two auditoriums. All of them in parallel. A quick way would be to look at the amps in these auditoriums. If the clip indicator is lighting up during the show, then you are overdriving your amps and that is causing the clicking noise.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The clicks are there even during silent parts, so that's probably not it. We have a few shows this week that get out early so I'll have time to test things though.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 03:38 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I ran some trailers after hours and watched the platter through the window (isn't stadium seating wonderful?) and the clicking DOES seem to be caused by it; every time I heard a click was when the feed arm swung either all the way forward or back. So now what?

Roger Frazee
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 05:43 AM      Profile for Roger Frazee   Email Roger Frazee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse:

This should not be happening under normal circumstances. I believe you have a shielding problem in the sound rack wiring.

First, disconnect the input and output cables from the Afterburner and plug the ends of the two cables into each other. If the clicking stops then the problem is in the Afterburner. If it continues, it is elsewhere.

As a temporary fix, you can install .01 caps across the platter micro-switch terminals and across the terminals of the receptacle that the platter plugs into. This will usually suppress the noise, but this only treats the symptom, not the disease.

I will notify your tech, Frank, of the problem and will ask him to check out the problem right away.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-2000 09:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also probable that there is also a main grounding problem
I have seen the potts micro switchs also make the hl dimmer blink It was usually a grounding problem in the platter with the motor induceing the spike onto the mains
There are devices called MOV and Amptraps that can be added to the platter powersupply to suppress spikes

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 09:02 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my old 3 screen with the Potts Alpha platter we had this same problem in one of the houses. I always thought that it was because the platter and sound box thing were wired into the same ac line. I loved and miss the alpha platter they are so much better than the AW3, The theatre I worked at was really crappy thats why the platter and sound were on the same circuit. Its a long shot but try plugging the platter into another outlet it may work. Oh well gotta go eat more turkey!

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2000 10:39 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this exact problem before tried a lot of things, but finally I bypassed the afterburner(by plugging the cords on back end to end)and that fixes the problem.

This was going on in several auditoriums.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: