Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-55 start-up format

Author Topic: CP-55 start-up format
William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our CP-55's when first turned on in the morning go to Dolby A format. Is there a way to get them to have non-sync as the default setting? It switches just fine all other times. It's not a huge deal but some managers forget to switch them to non-sync so no Rugrats In Paris soundtrack for the guests in the auditorium. If we have to hear it in the lobby, they should have to suffer in the auditoriums.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you may certainly switch the CP-55's wake-up format!

It is located on the Cat. 243 format card. If you have a 2nd generation or later Cat. 243 you will find a white jumper wire soldered in place in the lower left corner (with the writing on the card reading correctly and looking at the component side). The solder holes are labled with which format you want (format 60, in your case). Yes you will need a soldering iron/pencil to do this).

If you have the first generation Cat. 243s you won't find the above mentioned white wire. Instead, you will find a small blue wire soldered to one end of a row of resistors (not a column of them but a row). If this is the style of card you have, let me know and I will look up which resistor you will need to move the blue wire to.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2000 02:19 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a logical reason for it to wake up in dolby A. If you set the wake-up to non-sync and have to go to bypass, as soon as you switch out of bypass it will go to non-sync and not optical. So if you have a quick power failure all your cinemas will switch to non-sync and you may be in a spot of bother. Best to set a wake-up program in the automation if you have any.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2000 06:43 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Frank. Certain types of automation may not shut down on a quick break in power, but your CP55 will switch back to non sync and your projector will still be running. Had this happen several times at a theatre before I got smart and set the processor to wake up in A/SR. I know it's a hassle on opening to manually switch the units, but it's even harder to run around with customers in the building trying to get the sound back on in a 14 plex!

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night had a couple of quick power drops and I am very thankful that I left the wake up formats where they were. I now believe no one should set the wake up to non sync. Thanks for saving me from a huge headache due to customer complaints last night.

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2000 09:27 PM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons that I like the Cp500's so much is it allows you to customise its operation in heaps of different ways.

One of the great features it has is in the wake-up format selection, which allows you to select 'Last Format'. This gives you the best of both worlds. Given that the last format at night is Non-sync, then it wakes up in Non-sync...but should you have a power outage mid session, it wakes up in SR, Digital, or wherever you where last.

Very cool Mr Dolby.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-02-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the "last format" wake-up mode isn't exactly a new thing. With a CP-50 and the manual switch card, it always wakes up into the last format (unless you change the mechanical push buttons while it's turned off).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: