Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » vertical jumping of image on screen

Author Topic: vertical jumping of image on screen
William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2000 11:03 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I replaced the framing cam springs on one of our Simplex 35's and now the image bounces like crazy. There is no noticable shake in the intermittent. It might be as simple as tension straps but what else could it possibly be? Are there other possibilities?
p.s. thanks for the info Ian

|  IP: Logged

Richard Tuller
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 12:30 AM      Profile for Richard Tuller   Email Richard Tuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is your Film Gate and Trap is your tension OK

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 06:51 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, If the projector was fine before you replaced the springs (you did replace both of them?) and started shaking afterwards, then you did not reassemble something correctly. Perhaps the framing cam springs you replaced are in backwards, or you do not have the cam and framing shaft lined up correctly.
I would double check everything that you did very carefully.
Jonathan

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now notice a slight clicking sound coming from the intermittent. The seal between the intermittent bracket and the rest if the intermittent assembley is kind of worn but not destroyed. It doesn't click when I run it without the intermittent bracket on. I think the four-pointed star gear on the intermittent shaft might be damaged. Any other things it could be?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-24-2000 01:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That clicking just sounds like the intermittent shoe (or the sprocket itself) is out of alignment with each other. It isn't damage to the intermittent itself since you said it doesn't make the clicking sound with the shoe open.

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2000 12:57 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I make sure to get the shoe in allignment? The shaking seems to correspond with the clicking but it's hard to tell. Is there anything else to check? I'm getting ready to throw the projector through the port glass and into the theater but I'm not sure if that will fix it?

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William;
What made you replace those framing cam springs in the first place? Did you remove the intermittent for any reason when doing so?

Be sure the intermittent is fully seated in the rotating framing cam and that it's indexed in the cam properly. If it's not that could be an alignment problem.

Pat

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 11-25-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you having problems with film shed? That is how I would guess your shoe pad is out of alignment.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-26-2000 08:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you remove the intermittent or the intermittent sprocket, you'll have to realign it.

I do it like it says in the manual. I use a steel straight-edge ruler and line the intermittent sprocket up with the projector's holdback sprocket. (Inboard to outboard) Then I line everything else up with that. There's not much else to align, so it's mostly a double-check.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: