Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ashcraft Super Core-Lite on Ebay

Author Topic: Ashcraft Super Core-Lite on Ebay
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this today on Ebay... it's described as a "great home theatre display"
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=509859816

It looks to be in decent shape, but could you imagine a 300 pound "home theatre display trinket"??

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-01-2000 03:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it _does_ look pretty cool, if you have the space for it. And, at $20.50, it's a bargain compared with the Goldberg 2000' house reels which sell for $50+ on Ebay, and for about $10 apiece in Big Reel (and about $80 brand-new from Goldberg). (Which prices are totally insane, of course. Pretty much anyone who actually _needs_ 2000' house reels already has a ton of them. Only the 1/2"-shaft ones and the 6000' sizes actually seem to be worth real money.)

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2000 04:38 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the Super Corelight or Cinex with the split douser? I remember the 1st time ( or two ) I broke the Positive carbons on either the zipper plate or the shutter! Another lesson in look before you do. The picture on e- bay reminded me that I did not always think carbon arcs were all that great. They are a better memory than actually working with them day in and day out in my opinion. Boy I am glad Xenons took over!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-01-2000 05:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I mourn the dimise of carbon arcs
at least every trim was brand new and the light was consistant compared to over run lamps

Peter Dougherty
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2000 07:36 PM      Profile for Peter Dougherty   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Dougherty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gord,

Figured I'd see you here as well <grin>. I, too, miss carbons dearly. Great light, to be sure, but they added one thing that xenons helped eliminate--the need for a trained projectionist in the booth.

I always got a great deal of satisfaction when going in, especially as a relief projectionist, into a carbon house and burning the 5" leftovers right down to stubs--making the changeover with less than 2 minutes light left on the positive or negative carbon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: