Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Chat tonight 12/2/00 9:45pm EST

Author Topic: Film Chat tonight 12/2/00 9:45pm EST
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-02-2000 03:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The topic sez it all. Hopefully my antiquated little computer system here will let me attend as well!

See ya all tonight.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-02-2000 03:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'll be there

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2000 04:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6:45 pm PST what will I be doing?

I know! I'll be setting up an unknown video projector with an unknown VCR in order to show the Lesbian Film Festival. Oh Joy!

Sorry fellows, I think I may be otherwise occupied.

I like lesbians; We have a lot of common interests.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I think we all want to know what kind of experience you had on Saturday and what you thought of the "SHOW".

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my partner made the deal about 6-months ago when the theatre wasn't doing much business, so the deal was for a Saturday night and $300. But now we are brutally busy and it turned into a bit of a distraction.

On Tuesday before the event the coordinator called and said that 4 out of the 5 shorts were going to be on video. We told her to go rent the appropriate equipment.

Saturday morning we juggled the schedule so films would work. We were really busy.

All week we had lesbians calling and asking for advanced tickets, which we did not have. So we knew it would be popular.

Saturday night she showed up with a Sharp 3500U video projector and a Sharp VHS VCR. The video projector is very good on screens between 6' and 8' wide. I wouldn't recommend you go larger. So we focused the image on our 30' wide screen and winced. The lady accepted it and on we went.

We had 256 women and one man attend. Never before have I been un-stimulated by such a large group of women. Being a lesbian means never having to watch your weight. Being a lesbian means never worrying about unsightly facial hair. One lady? Had a full mustache and goatee for Christ sake. These aren't the lesbians you see in Hollywood films like Basic Instinct or Better than Chocolate.

Every few minutes someone would come out and tell us to focus the image. It was so dark you could barely discern color. The fourth clip had subtitles, which were about 2 pixels high on screen. What is that, a four-bit digital image?

The last clip was 35mm film. When that hit the screen my partner said there was a collective "Ahhh!" from the audience.

The downside is that we canceled a film we could have made $500 from in order to play a special event that was difficult and earned us $300. We made $1800 from the event but we had to give her $1500.

The upside is that we made $300 plus whatever concessions there was and we spread goodwill through yet another disenfranchised group who will support our theatre no matter what, because we have the guts to show Lesbian films.

New rules.
1. No special events on Saturday night! Wednesdays and Thursdays are good.
2. See if you can get a piece of the action over a certain amount.
3. Friends don't let friends use VHS in movie theatres.
4. We need a decent video rig that won't bankrupt the theatre.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 12-04-2000 04:21 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additional Rules for Filmmakers:

1. If you must distribute your short or film on video - please - do your art a favor - put it on Beta SP.

2. Good lighting helps tell any story - even if its dark or at night - better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: