Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Those Brenkert gears

Author Topic: Those Brenkert gears
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 08:58 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking with Ken Layton the other day he mentioned that there might be a need for gears for the Brenkert. I'd like to get an example of one each to see if I could make them
Ken describes them...
"The gears in question are small bevel types. The original Brenkert part
numbers were X-1404 and X-1405 which drove the internal and external shafts for the counter-rotating shutters."
If you've got either of these, dead or alive, maybe you'd loan them to me to see if I can do it. Thanks

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 01:47 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 4 Brenkert BX-60's - two that work - and the other two for parts. All of my machines are complete and intact. How hard is it to remove the gears in question from the machine?

On another note:
Since I replaced the main shaft "shear pin" about a month ago, that machine is a little harder to turn over by hand. I tightened the set-screw that holds the shaft in place to keep the drive shaft from working it's way out of the projector. Could I have gotten that screw too tight?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2000 02:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it was posted here or at one of the film-collector web sites, but I'm pretty sure that (as of a year or two ago) there's a guy in the US who is selling new-old-stock RCA/Brenkert parts. I'll try to dig up his contact information, but I can't guarantee that I have it anywhere.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 08:26 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some parts for my Brenkert's from "Sonic Sales & Service" several months back. I was told by the folks at Ed Wolk in Chicago, that they sold there entire Brenkert parts inventory to "Sonic Sales & Service".
The parts I recieved were NOT N.O.S., but scavenged.
You can contact them at the address below.

Sonic Equipment Company
P.O. Box 381
210 N. Washington Street
Iola, Kansas 66749

Phone: (316) 365-5701
Fax: (316) 365-2753

Hope this helps

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gears in question are for the BX-80 model (with the two counter-rotating shutter blades). They have been unavailable for a long time.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 12:21 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These gears fit the BX-40, 42, 80, 82, and
RCA 100 (the 100 uses the coarse gear) The BX-60 does NOT employ these type of shutter drive gears. I still have several in stock. NEW email me!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: