Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Becoming a "REAL" projectionist

Author Topic: Becoming a "REAL" projectionist
Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all:
Been a while since I have posted. A lot has gone on. I decided after more than a decade to throw in the towel at my Theater. Man, I'll miss that building... not the mentally challenged (P.C. enough?) people running the company, but the building.. how funny is that. I think about it every day. An old circa 1925 Vaudeville Theater converted into a 4 screen Theater. Man the things I had to do as a Manager/Operator to keep that place going... but when years of jumping through hoops for a company produces not even one thank you... EVER. It starts to grate at the nerves a bit. Case in point two years ago after busting our arses over the Holiday seasons we were given a $250.00 gift certificate as a Christmas Bonus.. HOLY CRAP... Heaven, I'm in Heaven... only to be given an amended W-2 form and being taxed on it. LOL it was all a big write off, kind of cheapened it... that was until last year when they gave us all those $10.00 folding chairs. We actually had to have the kids sign for them before giving them to them. LOL Oh well...onward and upward.
Let me tell you, I have seen the light... and I don't mean Xenon. I have been picking up shifts through my local Union, and have learned more about the trade in these last 3 weeks than I did in 12 plus years before hand. My basic knowledge was good, but man there is some neat equipment out there. In the course of a week I work on everything from near antique Cinemacannica's to the newest CineTEC. What we do is an ART!! DAMN anyone that doesn't think so. I have so much more respect for what I do now than I did before. I don't miss the management end at all. In one of these Theaters, I worked "BLACK FRIDAY" 13,656 people went through that Theater that day... and I didn't have to interact with one...YIIIIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!
At one of these Theaters is an Old-Timer a great old guy named George. He is a TRUE PROJECTIONIST. He has been through everything from Hand-Cranks to Change-overs to what he has now, 6 35/70 Century's and all Christie Platters. I loved the 2 days I trained with him... man what great stories he has about the early days of the business. It was he that made me feel the best about my new duties. My first solo day at his Theater covering for him we had a rectifier go out... I had seen the emergency rectifier and given it the once over, but only knew how to use one because of this site. I hooked it up, fired it up and ran the day. No-one downstairs even knew there was a problem. He called me at home the next day to tell me, "I knew you were different when you came in with your own tool case, and you weren't afraid to ask questions. Nver did I think you would be able to handle a down situation involving a rectifier. I guess I have a "REAL" projectionist on my hands." I couldn't have been prouder. So, thanks for all your help guys. And "LONG LIVE THE CLAN"

Doug Fields

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2000 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you Doug,
I have worked for the same cinema for 10 years and after asking about a squillion times for them to show me how to change a xenon they still haven't.
I have learnt far more from doing relief shifts at a couple of other cinemas and talking to projectionists in general. I try to visit as many cinemas as I possibly can. And of course film-tech is the greatest source of information anywhere.
As an aside, what in general do other people take with them when they do a relief shift? Screwdrivers, spanners, tape, splicer, torch, rag?

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 02:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have seen the light. It is much better just being in the booth.

I too was on the floor staff and management end of the business. You could not pay me enough to do that again. I also got work from the Union. At first it was a few relief shifts here and there. After awhile, through people retiring and or leaving the local. I finally got my own booth. I was not there for long until I got bumped. But that was OK. Then a better job opened. Then I got bumped. Then a great job opened. Can you guess what happened then? I got bumped. Through all of this I kept going back to the theatre that I am at now. I probably never should have left.

Through all of that I learned an amazing amount of things. I went from "The Kid", to "The Smart Ass Kid", to actually being respected by even some of the old timers in the local. There are some great operators in my local that have taught me alot. A couple of the operators were technicians as well. Hanging out with them was the best thing for me to do. If there is anyone in your local that does sound work. Ask them everything you can think of. If not, when your sound tech comes in, learn anything he will teach you.

Paul,
When I was relief, I carried: a flashlight, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, a multi-meter (pesky diodes), nut drivers and a good assortment of wrenches.

My booth has all that stuff.

When I go on a call now I carry all of the stuff above plus: oscilliscope, RTA, EPRAD SA10, test film (pink, dolby, buzz, etc), CAT 85C, and the Ultra pinky. People swear that I am moving in. I got a tool case in one hand and a huge duffel bag in the other. I always tell the manager that I keep the heads of managers that I don't like in the bag as a momento.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 05:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I know you a bit put out about being taxed on your $250 X-mas bonus. However that's the way it works at any place I've been employed. If the company gives an employee anything of value, it is viewed as income by the tax man. Thus to keep their own butt out of hot water they must report it to the feds. as income.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: