Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony/Loews closing 112 sites? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony/Loews closing 112 sites?
Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 02:18 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the rumor I just heard.....anyone know anything?

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Loews is going to close the Cheri theatre in boston. This is a 4 screen classic movie theatre complete with a chandilier and everything. This theatre used to be operated by Sack Cinemas until Loews bough them out. It is a shame that they are going to close this location I alays liked it.

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-23-2001 03:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that _anyone_ would think that the Cheri was decent. Admittedly, the "big" house (#1) has something like 700 seats and is the place to go for "big" movies on opening night which must be seen with a large crowd. Otherwise, that theatre was kind of a dump. Even the big house had a smallish screen and no curtains and the interior didn't seem to get the maintenance that it should have...

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 03:32 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
Maybe I mispoke, I like the Cheri and I think that a lot could be done with it. My current boss is a former manager of that location and he told me that Loews told him not to fix anything unless it had to be fixed and that they didnt care. Maybe it will be a good thing if Loews closes the Cheri then maybe someone else will buy it and put some $$$ and work into it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-23-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Cheri. It was where I used to go in my college days. That's the one that has the "wing" on the right hand side of the auditorium, right? I thought that was cool. We used to sneak in beers and stuff and go hide back there.

I could imagine that somebody else might take over the place but you gotta' remember there's a big indoor mall pretty much right across the street from there. There's another theatre in there. They might figure there's too much competition. I dunno...

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 06:38 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. They are closing 112 sites/675 screens..23% of screen count.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, anyone know where all of the equipment goes when a chain closes a lot of theaters all at one time like this. It seems like a good time for great deals on equipment for parts and home theater.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 07:52 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid it is true! I got closure notice on all 20 screens in Boise ID, (3 6-plexes, 1, twin-that closed three weeks ago) Most of the older CO (Cineplex Odeon) theatres have equipment that was financed and is still collateral to CCFC (Coca Cola Finance Co.)Thus most equipment and other FF&Es that CCFC financed will stay at this time. I do not know what will happen after these sites are vacated, I would suppose in some markets,
theatres will be available for lease. However, at this point, I can say that with the loss of these screens in my area, the year 2001 is going to be a little more depressing! I feel bad for the many fine employees that will be on the streets soon!
According to the Sacramento Bee in Cal. today, this size-down is tho attempt to prevent bankruptcy by Loews/Cineplex.

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-23-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on a lot of things...

Some companies I know often "reabsorb" old equipment by taking old, junky equipment out and replacing it with the stuff from the shut-down theatre. Other times it's either junked or sold off to someone who's willing to pay for it and cart it away.

Depends on who you know, the people involved in the company, what mood they are in and why they are closing the place down.

ie: If they are closing down but don't want competition, they might junk everything. (As we have seen before.)

Essentially, you gotta' know who to know and when to ask. Mostly a luck thing...

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2001 09:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On local tv channel 7 today on the 5 oclock news they said that any Cineplex theater older than 15 years would be closed.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2001 07:01 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of our Canadian members know what C/O is doing up here with closings?

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-24-2001 08:13 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean--I agree that the Cheri has "potential." I just think that in its current form the physical building has suffered from lack of maintenance. There's a card in the lobby somewhere that explains where the lobby chandelier came from (some Loews theatre in New York, I think). I do like the marquee at the Cheri, although there are often lots of burned-out lightbulbs on it.

Most of the theatres in the Boston area are pretty lousy. The one with the most potential to be made into something nice is probably the LCE Harvard Square theatre (aka University Theatre). Since the #1 (original) screen is still intact, the balcony (since made into two screens) could be restored to its original form pretty easily and the two "backstage" shoebox screens could be restored to storage closets.

Not like this will ever happen, though...the thought of converting a 5-screen theatre back into a single is probably enough to send chills up the spine of the accountant types. (Not that there's anything wrong with accountants, but they often seem to fail to recognize actions which will increase profitability over the long term in favor of short-term growth.)

The LCE Copley Square theatre (across from the Cheri) is a _real_ dump...it's more like a collection of screening rooms than a theatre...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the canadian closeing are older obsolete complexes which makes sense you can't in this day and age expect a older slopped floor theatre to be competative against a more efficient large plex

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2001 05:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed: http://biz.yahoo.com/apf/010123/united_art.html

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-24-2001 05:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also confirmed by today's Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37542-2001Jan23.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: