Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2-way Radio Question

Author Topic: 2-way Radio Question
Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 03:45 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre uses a bunch of Motorola SP-50 2 channel radios for contact between the box office, usher, projection, and management. But we never seem to have enough on a given shift, and the ones in use die easily after repeated use. Is there a possible way to make a stand alone unit for the box office or manager's office that picks up the frequency, but is hard wired, like an intercom? I'm pretty sure we run on a VHF frequency and I thought it might be possible to get the parts from Radio Shack for this. Additional radios cost about $300+ each and our 15 year olds don't treat them well.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas on this? Thanks!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 04:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened our theatre last year. We knew that since it is a small plex and that we were going to out-source our show times messaging line, that we didn't need a very complex phone system.

We just went down to Office Depot and bought the Siemans 2.4GH two-line phone system and 6 cordless handsets. The handsets can page other handsets. So we don't need walki-talkies. We only had two problems with the system. The handsets were more fragile than we had hoped and reception suffered back by theatre #4.

The concept was good, but he execution was bad. So we have wasted $1,000. So this year we bought the same kind of phone system from Panasonic with a 4 line base station. The handsets are more rugged and we can get reception at the far corners of the building.

It's not a bad way to go.

The box office/concession stand has a handset. The manager/projectionist has a handset. And Ky has a handset. I just get the base station.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 11:22 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the antenna on your Motorola radio is about 7/16" diameter, then you have a VHF frequency. If it's much skinnier, then you transmit on UHF. Likely you are on VHF and probably on one of three "colored dot" frequencies issued for "intinerent use". Look on the bottom of the radio and on the push-to-talk buttom for either a red, green, or blue solid circle of paint. If you have any one of those colored dots then this is what frequency you transmit on:
151.6250 Red Dot
154.5700 Blue Dot
154.6000 Green Dot

All radios of this type can be received quite easily on any police scanner radio like Radio Shack sells. Radio Shack has scanners on sale every month and you could get a nice base station style scanner for less than $100. that would have plenty of sensitivity to pick up your radios from anywhere in the building.

I have all the colored dot frequencies programmed into all 4 of my scanner radios because those freqs are very popular (especially at drive thru restaurants!).

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-03-2001 12:06 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
When I bought radios, I got a bunch of Motorola Talkabouts from Sam's Warehouse. They have several frequencies and codes and operate on a public frequency, so anyone with a radio on the same frequency and code can listen in (this happened to us once, but in five minutes, I had all 8 radios re-freq'ed).

They worked great -- I could be anywhere in the mall and (if the battery was fully charged) all the way out to the marquee. And at the drive-in, I could be anywhere on the lot or next door at the walk-in.

I think they were about $90 apiece or something like that.

Oh, the only drawback is that they run on 4 alkaline batteries, so have a stockpile available as they need to be changed almost daily with heavy use.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-03-2001 12:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remeber right those radios are FM. You ought to have a scanner that can receive FM to do it right.

You can use an AM radio to pick up an FM signal, using "slope detection" but it'll be only for short distances and even then it'll be "iffy" at best.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

All scanners made in the last 15 years pickup these FM transmissions properly.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 03:24 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this isn't what you need but at my small theater I went out and bought a 3-way intercom system from radio shack. One in the booth, box, and concession. Works really well and wasn't very much money!!!

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2001 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your SP-50 batteries are probably near the end of their useful life. They normally last about a year if treated properly. For radios there is nothing better than Motorola with the exception of the Talkabouts. Thay are really garbage. As one of the largest Motorola dealers in the mountain states we actually stopped selling talkabouts cause they all eventually were returned by disssatisfied customers. They are also unreliable.
However, the SP-50 is an extremely well built radio and many large chains such as UA, Mann, and others have used them for years. We do all the repairs for all the large circuits including National Cinema Supply.
If you have any Motorola questions don't hesitate to call our radio techs, Jeff, or Stewart. They'll be glad to answer any questions or provide you with any help, or service you'd need. Also check out our web site for special deals on MT-1000 Motorola two-way radios. We purchased 1300 of these from customs a couple of months ago.These radios have a list 1200.00, and the deal we have going on these can't be beat, brand new in the box! This is the radio used by many governments and armed forces, and corporations.
Mark Gulbrandsen
Motion PIcture Sales Manager
General Theatrical Supply
2153 South 700 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
801-485-5012
stew@getgts.com www.getgts.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-03-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>3-way intercom system from radio shack. One in the booth, box, and concession. Works really well and wasn't very much money!!!<<

Those Radio Shack wireless intercom systems may transmit through some sound systems.(I have had it happen a few times) Beware.

Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-04-2001 12:25 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just goes to show you how long it's been since I had a scanner! The last one I had was a "Regency" 10-channel. You know, the one with the flashing red lights. I've always been meaning to get one but I've never gotten around to it.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 02:10 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My three-way intercom works fine at my theater.....guess I'm just lucky

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-27-2016 07:46 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 5594 days since the last post.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2016 07:46 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the original question, Yes you can have a radio for the box office and the manager office. These are called mobile radio. But there is a radio out there that is only cost 20.00 per radio. They are uhf/vhf. This is a basic two way radio and it has a light on it. You can charge them every night. I own two of them and they last up to a week off the charger depending on how much you use them. But I am assuming that based on your theater you would only be able to use them for 2 days without a charge. You can get digital radio or just basic ones. The both have a flash light on them. Might want to look on ebay for the brand name of baeofeng

click here for 4 radio for $56.00
or
One for $30 digital

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2016 11:54 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These appear to be amateur radio transceivers. If so, an amateur radio license would be required to operate them, and they could not be used for commercial purposes.

The FCC has the Multi Use Radio Service (MURS) available for short range unlicensed voice communications. See http://mai.hallikainen.org/org/FCC/FccRules/2016/95/ . The available frequencies are listed at http://mai.hallikainen.org/org/FCC/FccRules/2016/95/632/ . The radio needs to be certificated as a MURS radio. You cannot legally use an amateur transceiver on a MURS frequency.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: