Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Product: The Align-O-Tron (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Product: The Align-O-Tron
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 09:22 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in time for ShoWest! A new product to make techs' lives easier. It's a laser alingment tool for installing lamphouses in their proper postion. Scott Hicks at American Cinema Equipment, will have them at ShoWest. You can read all about it at... http://www.muellersatomics.com/alignotron.htm

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Greg! I have a similar device to do critical alignment of my photo enlarger. Its made by some company in Denver....can't remember who off the top of my head but it works very well.
Mark @ GTS

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 10:33 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clever. Any ideas on making a similar product for precisely focusing lamp mirrors and bulbs while the lamps are cold? I could see a lens spreading the laser beam, so that the reflector would put a bright dot on the tip of the anode.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Greg! Does it fit into the lensholder? It looks a lot simpler than the one ORC made years ago! I'll check it out!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,
I forgot to ask, Whats the list price and do we order from you or form ACE?
Mark @ GTS

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 02:47 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've arranged for Scott Hicks to distribute these gizmos. It was a down to the wire rush to get these out in time for them to get to ShoWest, so I'm not sure what the retail will be, but I'm sure he knows It was a bit nuts around here for the last week or so.
I thought about having the laser pivot so it could hit the reflector to aid in aiming it, but the workings started getting a bit complex (and therefore expensive) and my aim was to make a device that was simple and relatively inexpensive. It doesn't do much good to make a tool that no one can/will afford.
Yes it does fit in the lens holder.
You can also shoot it at the screen to get a rough idea of where the picture will fall.

------------------
Greg Mueller

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2001 02:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,
I was talking with GOrd tonight and he told me about the alignment setup stuff that IMAX uses. And while I believe that your alignment gizmo is on the right track it fails to take into account the center position of either the rear or the front of the mirror. Apparently that was the only absolute way to get the lamphouse into perfect alignment. Just curious if you had thought about the mirror aspect of the whole thing. What he said was that you may get the front and rear of the lamp into alignment, but if the mirror is still off then you've only got part of it right. While I certainly intend to latch onto one of these I may go further and make plastic plugs with pinholes in them for the more common mirrors that I work with.
Mark @ GTS

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 08:57 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, to do the job right the bulb must be removed and the lamphouse adjusted so that the mirror is centered as well as the axis of the bulb. I didn't put in a picture of the lamphouse with the bulb out. Guess I should have. This idea of using the laser is also used in astronomy, where a laser is used to align the mirrors of you telescope. It's very helpfull to use a 3X5 card or a business card to see where the laser is in relation to the center of the mirror. Just hold a card over the hole in the mirror and see how close to center the laser strikes. To find the center of the mirror in a telescope. strings are used, stretched tight over the mirror at 90° to each other, forming an "+". You could do this as well with a reflector in a lamphouse. Since the reflector is so deep it would be a good indicator of where the front is, again using the 3X5 card to see where the laser strikes.
So to get good "aim", line up the front of the bulb, the hole in the reflector and the front of the reflector where the strings cross.

------------------
Greg Mueller

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 10:40 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was talking to Scott Hicks in his booth at ShoWest and I had been there about twenty minutes. Suddenly I looked up and started to wonder, "What is that laser doing in your booth, Scott?"

"I,m glad you asked." and he gave me the full talk. It looks like a great tool.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 11:46 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, and much better than the one I made a few years ago, when laser pointers came up.
Theese things are really neccessairy to correctly align a lamp, and don't forget to complement with a PSA 200 tool.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one from Scott today at Showest. He thought I was kidding till I wipped out my VISA card. Looks great,nice fit and finish too. The string idea is also good, but it wouldn't be too hard to machine acrylic plugs for the rear of some of the more common mirrors used.
Mark @ GTS

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-07-2001 08:25 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what are one of these guys listing for???

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-08-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what kind of eye protection are you talking about?

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the exact list price, you'd have to ask Scott about that. Its well under $200.00 though. Its very well made, and the time it will save will offset its cost the first time you use it. You don't have to wear welding goggles, but as with any laser, be very careful with it. Don't look into it under any circumstance and be careful of reflections off of chromed or highly polished parts. Carrying a can of spray smoke will also aid in using it quicker. We stock smoke in a can if anyone needs some.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have been doing a lot of playing with mine and I have to say this is a winner. The only thing I would like to see is a smaller beam.
Aslo the picture on the website shows putting a flat mirror across the hole of the mirror and focusing it back on the laser. It works better if you leave the plug in the mirror vortex and put the flat mirror on the back of it so when you make adjustments you keep the back focal point in line
I typically got between 5-10% more light afterwards

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: