Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Stuper" Platters

Author Topic: "Stuper" Platters
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 10:05 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to laugh when I read Brads' review of the ORC Super platter. The theatre that I work for uses one of these, and to make the situation better it's a 5 deck The brains were modified though to be the same type found on Potts platters but they still use the microswitch. I came from a theatre that used Aw 3's and AW 35's and can imagine what a shock it would be for an operator who had never used a microswitch type of platter, luckily I learned on Potts platters so I was not tottally lost. I have not had any problems threading this machine though, the fact that the rollers have no "keepers" is annoying but I can live with it. What is annoying though is that if the film drops on projector #1 before it drops on #3 it will cause the running film to fall off the rollers. Therefore someone has to be there to "Catch" the tail by spinnig the takeup deck by hand at the moment it drops. the one thing I do like about this platter is the sturdiness of the decks. On an AW3 the deck will start to wobble if people throw prints onto it or bang a splicer on it these decks though are very very strong. But it is a horrible orange!!!

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-12-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, can you be more specific about the film dropping in No.1 and then No.3? I must be missing what you are trying to say. For some reason, I have the impression you are running the same print in two houses. But something still does not register correctly in my memory bank.

Yes, the older Potts and some of the CFS platters didn't have any keepers, and it is a pain. I outfitted all of mine with keepers. If you have the parts, it is easy to do.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scarry I remember Al Boudoris of Epard standing on the yellow moster caliming how strong the decks were

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-12-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the (mis)fortune to work with the Orange Super Platters, hell I didn;t even know they carried the ORC name! Only ORC platter I have ever seen is the one with the really thick tree and the brains that plug-in with the 1/4" phone jacks.

I have seen the blue Super platters both with and without the 'keeper' rollers and the newest generation of the Super Platter the NSP-series had nice black rollers with bearings and keepers. The only problems with the NSP was the real CHEAP needle bearing that they used for the deck hub... and that was an improvement over the NYLON BUSHING(!!!) they used previously... I had to replace all three decks on the two NSP3's we have because they would just sieze right up from the nylon bushing swelling up with the slightest bit of friction. My only other beef with the Supers is the cheap under-rated microswitches they used. I have changed many of them to a higher rated switch that has lasted far longer, but the switches have now become harder to locate. I do have a manufacturing order with Cherry Electronics pending to make a HUGE amount of 10A/250V (the stock CFS switch is 4A) micros that will fit right into a Super. I just haven't been given authorization to commit to it.

Aaron

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 11:26 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I used to work at the theater that Sean is now at, maybe I can help clarify what he meant by "catching" the tail.

At his theater they have two movies running off a 5 deck at the same time (which is cinema 1 and cinema 3). If the movie in cinema 3 ends before the movie in cinema 1 the tail of the movie falls off the rollers (since there are no keepers) and sometimes hits the film in cinema 1 causing the movie to stop. Therefore when the movie in cinema 3 ends first the projectionist has to "catch" the tail by spinning the platter so it takes up the tail.

Hmmmmm....thats my late night, beginning of my weekend explanation...if you still don't understand let me know and I'll try again

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-12-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rachel. Now I see what Sean was talking about.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 11:43 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these platters! To agree with Sean these things are very strong....maybe its just because I learned on them but I wish I had them now....WITH KEEPERS!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong and Potts make a centerfeed (control plate) retrofit kit to replace the original unit with the modern Strong/Potts microswitch control plate.
For Orange ORC Super Platters use kit number 2546. For blue CFS Super Platters use kit number 2442.

I don't like the Super Platters as they were originally manufactured. With the Strong/Potts upgrades and improvements added to them though, I do like them.

Cinema Film Systems also made their own control plate retrofit kit for the blue Super Platters, but it wasn't much better than the original design.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: