Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Loose Turret

Author Topic: Loose Turret
Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 10:30 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all...

I was wondering if anyone could help me with tightening up a loose turret on a Simplex 1020 projector. It is only very slightly loose, but it is causing a shadow on the top of our screen. If you push the lens not being used up or down (I can't remember which is is off hand) the turret will hold and the picture is fine until we open the turret and rethread. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a bunch.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-08-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you say PR-1020? That shouldn't have any turret, it is a studio single lens machine.

Perhaps it is a PR-1050, PR-1060 or PR-2000?

Steve

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the turret turn the lenses when you switch them or do you have to turn them your self. Could posably be one of two things wrong. You could have a bad lends change motor. Posably a bad wire going to it that is losing conection allowing the lens to drop a little. Or it could be a lose drive gear on shaft of lens change motor that is allowing tthe lens to drop a little. It does not take much to cause a shaddow on the screen.

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 02:09 PM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, the model is 1060. It has a motor that changes lenses, and that is working properly. Could it be a screw or bolt or something somewhere? You can jiggle it up and down very slightly, so that's why I think it might be a screw or something. Thanks.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-08-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What is loose? The lens mount, the turret plate or the entire turret isn't closing completely?

These are things I've found on manual turrets:

There is a spring on the lens mount behind the turret that applies pressure to the lens offset screw. It is a flat piece of metal bent kinda like an "L" shape. I've seen these lose shape on the _manual_ turrets and bending them back into shape only makes them weaker, so you have to replace them. There's one for each lens mount and they're held on by three little screws.

There are three screw-mounted bearings that the turret plate rotates on. I think the screws are accessible from the front of the turret. (Not too tight, or you'll burn up your turret motor!)

There should be a closure adjustment on the bottom of the turret (at the latch). The motorized one will probably differ from the manual one.

Just stuff to look for ... let us know what you find!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 05:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two flavors of turrets on the Simplex. There's the older turret system that opens up by itself when the lenses change and there's the newer ones that have a latching pin at the top. Which ones do you have?
I'm assuming you have the older ones because the thing seems to be moving on you. The newer ones with the latch don't have the tendancy to wander as much.

First thing I'd look at is the adjustments for the turret roation. Are they set right? Is there a gap between the screw and the stopper? If so then I'd adjust the screw a bit and see if that's the cause. After that, I'd go through the "gear train" on the motor to see if the problem lies there. Often those motors burn out because they run 100% of the time to keep the turret up against the stops. Check that too. The motor gets pretty hot when it runs so you can tell almost immedialtely if it's working.

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 05:32 PM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the movie is running on that projector and I'm about ready to go home for the day, so I'll look at it tomorrow and let you know what I came up with...

Thanks for all the help!

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2001 06:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

I will literally be passing right by your theater tomorrow evening. I can swing by and fix it for you between shows if you will email me the downtime schedule. It's most probably a 5 minute fix with the stop points. If memory serves, you have the older model turrets. (I think they are TU-2000s??? Can't remember the model nubmer.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: