Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » General Sound/Showman II

Author Topic: General Sound/Showman II
Armin Pohl
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2001 06:15 AM      Profile for Armin Pohl   Email Armin Pohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fairly old automation setup. The company that manufactured the automation box was General Sound. I believe they are out of business. I found a supplier for the mini lamps but I am need of the little coloured push buttons marked, RESET, STEP, TIMER, START, STOP, FAULT, SAFETY, ISOLATE.

Can anyone help ???

Armin

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2001 08:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pushbutton caps are available from ElectroSonic Inc on Gordon Baker Road Willowdale Ontario
They are blank and you have to get them engraved.
FYI The showman 2 is far from obsolete

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-14-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1184 days since the last post.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any of the old Showman II automations floating around anywhere out there? There must be some if FAMOUS PLAYERS replaced most of them with CineQ.

Is Cinemation still being made?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-14-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Bentley passed away this year and I beleive that there is a UK company that is continueing support for the current cinemation
which is an electronic version
I beleive the manufacturer of CineQ is out of business now or so the rumour goes

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have pictures of the Showman II automation? Can anyone list features of it?

Are there an floating around anywhere that are available for purchase?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can come up with a picture if nobody else has one. It's just a gray box, about 2 feet square and 8 inches deep, with the pegboard in the middle and a few switches and indicators.
It's similar in features to other pegboard units. The cue button or sensor tape advances the pegboard array down one step, and you put diode pegs in the grid to activate functions - cues are rows and functions are columns. There's an electromechanical timer that allows for timed events like opening the dowser X seconds after the motor starts.
The features are basically that it's simple, easily "programmed". and it uses good old relays and wires that anyone with a multimeter can troubleshoot - not a mystery board stuffed with mystery ICs.
There are limitations too but it's pretty reliable and there are quite a few still running out there.
The Showman is a descendant/copy of the Cinemation (I think) and was designed and built in Canada using standard N.A. parts and has (to me) easier setup and servicing compared to the UK one.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, they're definitely easier to get around inside than a Mk-IV.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim;
the Entertainment Engineering automations are a direct descendant of the Showman 2.

Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, I remember that. And it's certainly the Cadillac. The E-E's are more reliable than the others, well-built, and roomier... with A/C and power steering optional! [Wink]

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 8 Showman 2 got bulldozed in my old theatre after it closed, the company that owned it didn't want to re-use them. We had almost no problems in 17 years of operating them.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the "E-E"s still built? Any contact information for this company?

Anyone know if there's old Showman IIs available for purchase out there?

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Century also make an automation called "Showman"? I seem to recall operating them. They didn't have the pegboard/diode set-up. They were an all contained monitor/amplifier/failsafe kinda thing.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-21-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yes, Century made a "Showman" around 1976. I made many a service call on them until we found the factory design errors. Then all was well.

2. Entertainment Engineering is the parent of Hadden Theatre Supply; 10201 Bunsen Way, Louisville, Ky 40299. tel 502--499-0050 (Yes these automations are still made but are quite pricey. Certain customers love them.)

Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: