Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Simplex Interm. Sight Glass Leak

Author Topic: Super Simplex Interm. Sight Glass Leak
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2001 03:00 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a pair of Supers that were rebuilt I guess around 10 to 15 years ago with little use in that time. Now, I filled the one with oil and the oil sight glass started leaking. The other thing is that the I don't think I'm seeing Oil in the other sight glass. They're so damn small it's amazing that you can see anythin in there. Well, what would you do? Is this something worth taking apart and replacing the gasket or is it something that I should try some kind of outside puddy to seal it?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are not too hard to replace but have the new gaskets and sight glasses on hand before you take them apart. Also have a new case gasket for each movement you repair. After you disassemble them you will need a very wide blade flat screwdriver to unscrew the retaining nuts. Clean all surfaces on both the nut and case so the new gaskets will seal well. Re-assemble and set the clearance between star and cam. Follow the instructions in the Super manual here on Film-Tech.
BTW: the parts should not set you back more than a few bucks. Get em from Wolk in Chicago.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2001 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember once when I was on a service call, the window of the movement was so dirty I could not see anything. I grabbed a "Q" tip to clean the window. The little window just shattered.

I made a new window out of a Windex bottle, and it lasted long enough (without leaking) until the new windows arrived.

As Mark said, they are not too hard to replace. Follow his advice, and you'll do just fine. PLEASE NOTE what Mark said about setting the clearence between the star and the cam.

That adjustment HAS to be done unless, of course, you don't mind stepping bare-footed into something extremely smelly that will ooze between your toes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: