Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailer Volume Update - Are Your're Faders Going Up? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Trailer Volume Update - Are Your're Faders Going Up?
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just this past Wednesday, April 18, 2001, the TASA Committee (Trailer Audio Standard Association) got together and voted to lower the upper volume limit for Trailers from 86 dB to 85 dB. To me, this is monumental. The average feature plays at Leq(m)84, which is the average volume of the entire feature.
At 85 dB, the TASA Committee may have actually, successfully, bridged the gap between Trailers and Features... A gap that was 7 to 10 dBs wide almost two years ago.

The pupose of this is to improve the way the feature is presented, by allowing projectionists to raise their faders up to, or near to, the recommended settings. Previously, excessive trailer volume had caused projectionists to lower the faders and rarely were they raised back up for the feature.

I have two questions, if anyone cares to respond:

1) Are your faders going back up? Has the TASA committee's work in lowering the upper volume limit of domestic trailers helped?

2) Now that Trailers are down to 85 dB, are the Screen Adds and Policy reels still at the point that trailers were at 2 years ago? In other words, are the Screen Adds and Policy reels ruining the progress TASA is making with Trailers?

If you have experienced any Screen Adds and / or Policy reels that are significantly louder than the trailers they are playing with, and you can tell me the "name of the product", a brief description of the piece in question, the theatre showing the piece, and the feature it was playing prior to... You can e-mail me directly if you have all that information, or mention it here at Fabulous Film-Tech. The info I get here is invaluable... and damn it, I put it to good use. Really.

Thank you in advance.

THXfully Yours,

Ted Costas
Manager
THX Theatre Alignment Program

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between 85 db and 86 db is miniscule. It's like the difference between 55 miles per hour and 57 miles per hour. Who can tell? I have learned that the minimum a volume level can me changed and have that change be audible is 3 db.

If they had lowered the upper level 3 db, then that would be some thing to celebrate. Since people are running their trailers at a setting of 5 on the Dolby fader so they can run there films at 7 on the fader tells me that trailers are about 6 db too hot.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 06:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the situation is better than it used to be, there are still some trailers that are much louder than others. "Hannibal" comes to mind as a good recent example. Another one is the "Mummy Returns" teaser we've been running all winter. Having said that, unless the problem is extreme, I've pretty much left our faders at one setting and had good results.

I think NATO and TASA are doing a good thing, but if they really want to kick some butt, they ought to figure a way to get trailers distributed to the smaller screens that need them. IMHO, this would put more people in the seats. We've run at least half a dozen movies since the beginning of this year for which we couldn't get trailers.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tech came in about three months ago and gave me the opportunity to re-EQ and set all the preasure levels in the auditoriums. Afterwards I adjusted all my fader settings to give the best sound quality for the feature presentation. this is set to 6 on fader. As far as I can tell the trailers are not exsesivly loud and feature sound quality is very good. we do not move the faders and we have not had anymore complaints about loud trailers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2001 06:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a 1 decibel decrease in trailer volume should be widened to perhaps a 3db or 4db decrease. Movie trailers, other ads and PSA's should never be louder in volume than the main feature.

My complaints with trailer loudness in general goes to the optical analog track in particular. I have seen some trailers in the past where the analog track is loud to the point of being very edgy and shrill. I can only guess the advertisers are pulling the same stunts that people in TV commercial advertising do --blast you out during the commercials.

I have noticed some improvements with regard to movie trailers being played back in digital sound. In the past few months it seems their level of loudness is more on par with the average volume level of the film playing.

Hopefully this problem with trailer loudness will get cleared up completely. I've been to more than a few theaters where master fader settings were dropped down to really low levels thanks to loud trailers and spot ads. If the fader is not up to a good point, the movie just has a wimpy quality in the sound department and will have more people "waiting for the DVD" to where they can crank it up properly on their home theater systems.

I've also never understood just why so many movie trailers are recorded so loud. Because, in general, most movie trailers sound like crap. Sorry, but that's just the honest truth. So why play bad audio loud? It is just going to sound even worse. Unless some care and real production value has gone into the making of a movie trailer, to where it has a good discrete surround mix and digital audio presentation, I don't want to hear it cranked. Hehe.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you don't want to hear this, but I have not noticed any significant change whatsoever on trailer volume. Granted I do NOT play trailers in digital, for running them in SR keeps things more balanced between the different trailers and especially the commercials (which are definitely recorded too loud). If TASA wants the problem licked, 75db is what they should be aiming at. I run a properly aligned auditorium at 7.0 on the fader (SDDS at 0.0) and trailers at 3.5 (or about -10.0 on SDDS) and I actually get compliments from customers! People do not want to be blasted out by the commericals and trailers. I keep those at a comfortable "tv volume" level and then blast them at reference levels with the feature. Many, many, many customers have expressed their satisfaction with this practice by saying they do not patronize other theaters due to the loud trailers AND the low levels they play their features at. This tells me that if the competition is having that problem, that they are running their trailers 5db or so "too high" and their features 5db or so "too low".

John F. Allen wrote somewhere that if you want to get an audience's attention, play the ad a little softer, as opposed to louder. I've tried it and he is absolutely correct! When I go into an auditorium with a lot of people that are chatting and the show starts with loud trailers, people keep talking! When the trailers are at a lower volume, everyone turns around and starts watching the show. Isn't the entire point here for the customers to watch and pay attention to the previews and ads? The trick works!

Seriously Ted, get the TASA committee into a properly calibrated auditorium where the feature plays properly at 7.0 and run some trailers at 3.5 for them. Maybe that will make them understand that a db here and a db there just doesn't matter. The sound mixers of these trailers know all too well on how to compress the sound and sweeten it so that it sounds louder regardless of what any meter says. 75db is a must and is perfect.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 08:13 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted,

I don't think that have trailers at the same level of the feature is a good conquest.
Do you really want to play trailers at the same level of "Godzilla"??
I think that peole wants to chat and find their seat without going crazy with Dolby!!
Brad, I also play policy at 3.5 and film trailers at 4.0. Feature stay at 6.3/6.5 (reference level for my theater is 6.3, not 7.0 for tech problems!!).
This because my automation allow this.
Before that I discovered that people went out claiming for volume level...

I know that many theaters plays trailer in MONO to have a reasonable level.

And, having the Dolby Digital "broadway" trailer at 6.3 after 10 minutes of 3.5 policy and 15 seconds of black leader (for chenge lenses and/or make a little stop before feature) has a different result!!!

Bye
Antonio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, yes I had completely forgotten to mention that. How many audiences does everyone here know of that actually applauds when the THX logo plays after a bunch of blaringly loud trailers? Now imagine that same THX trailer playing at 85db after the trailers were played at 75db? People go crazy and the overall experience is FAR more impressive. I also hold the house lights up until after the policy and bring them down at the beginning of the THX logo to make that point further.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, as I do my PMs, I have been resetting all the SPLs so that you have to turn the fader UP to get the same volume level. Typically, the way they had been done in the past, "5" was the setting we had them at. I have been trying to get it so that you have to put it on "6" to get the same level.

Two reasons for this, IMHO:

1. To help make so trailers and ads don't play so loud.
  2. To combat against kids who like to turn the fader up after I leave the site.

In the past I have noted that the volume of trailers hasn't been as loud but I think it has tapered off. Still too loud but better than it was. I think they could go down a bit more.

I'd say they need to go down another 3 dB. That's the minimum difference that your average person can notice without having to "try". People CAN tell the difference between 1dB but only if they are listening closely enough. If you are trying to convey a message (that you are doing something to solve this problem) you should change things so that people will notice the difference without having to be told.

Sometimes a change (in a given system) has more psycological effect if people think that they are the ones who "discovered" it. Then they will come and ask you if you've done something. You can answer, "Why, YES! We have lowered the levels. How astute of you to notice!" People who walk away thinking, "Ha-ha-ha! I'm smart!" are often better allies than ones that you have to point things out to.

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 04:22 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Brad, I too am pleased with the effort to lower trailer volume over the past year or two. As Randy mentioned, Cinemark sets their reference level at 5, and in the past we have gone as low as 4.5 or 4 because of the loud trailers. Recently we bumped up our processors to 5.5 and sometimes 6 on full houses. I agree that the all pre-feature material should be significantly lower than the feature volume. You want the beginning of the feature (or the digital format trailer) to really kick in and wow people. It's all part of the movie-going experience.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 11:52 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually we are turning our faders down for the trailers a full notch, down to 5, and then turning it up to 6 for the feature mainly due to two trailers which we constantly get complaints about for being too loud. Mummy Returns (both the teaser and the release trailer), and the release trailer of Pearl Harbor.

The biggest problem we have though is that we have to keep the sound low during the trailers because with the DTS, it just overpowers them. The problem comes in with the PSA's and other trailers that don't come with DTS, and you literally can't hear them. So as of right now you either blow out your ear drums, or you can't understand what is being said for the PSAs.... Anyone have any ideas on solutions for this without having a projectionist adjust the fader for each trailer?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-21-2001 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree. There has been little to no difference of levels in what I have heard playing in the last month or so. These guys still have a hundred miles an hour worth of db to get reved down to 82 miles an hour of db or so before it will matter in the least.
Brad,
That is definately THE one thing I think we all will agree with J.A. on. Get their attention by playing trailers lower! It really does work and the THX, HPS, 20th, or what ever fanfare will really get their attention and make a larger impression too.
Mark @ GTS

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one big reason that Cinemark is uping the referance level is because we got rid of the problem that was causing them to be set wrong. NCS that is. When my tech came in he allowed me to recheck and set all EQ's and preasure levels. I found all levels running to hot when fader was set at 7. all channels were running around 93db at this fader setting. all channels are now set at 85db for L,C,R, and 86db for surrounds. Subs were set at 79db for DTS theaters at the fader setting of 7. THis allowed us to achieve a fader setting of 6 for feature presentations. After doing this we have no longer gotten complaints about loud trailers. Even the pearl harbor and mummy returns run thru nicely.

John,
I have been told that if you set up your B chain, as mentioned above, and get the best A chain set up on your scope possable. Then all you have to worry about is making sure that your DTS unit is outputting 250mv for each channel. Setting the actuale preasure levels off of source disc can actualy throw things off I have been told.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 02:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How accurate are the faders on processors? We have CP65's; If they are set correctly (EQ'ed with fader set to 7) what's the dB delta if changed to 6? ... to 8? Is it consistent ie: If the output drops 3dB when the fader is moved from 7 to 6, does it drop another 3dB when going from 6 to 5, etc.? I ask because the ear is easily fooled and some kind or reference would be helpful.

It would be cool if you could buy those Ioan Allen-designed db-time meters cheap. Even if it was designed such that you had to leave the processor cover open (so it could hang out as an extension card) it would'nt matter because it'd only be used to measure random trailers/features, then removed.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 02:44 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,

86dB for surrounds?
79dB for subwoofer?

I know 82dB for split surrounds (to have 85 when together) and 91 for Subwoofer.

Is it correct?

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: