Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tomb Raider closing credits

Author Topic: Tomb Raider closing credits
Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2001 10:36 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with Tomb Raider? The closing credits lack almost all bass and the song by U2 sounds almost muted. The film wasn't like this at all...in fact it had stellar sound all throughout.

Anyone else notice this?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't notice any sound problems (during credits) with our print.. I'll check next time I work.

I thought the focus was rather poor; colors a bit lackluster. I'm not sure if that's because it was filmed in Super 35 (I don't know if it was...it's anamorphic) or a poor printing job.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2001 01:19 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one way to tell if a print is super35 or anamorphic lens on camera. Thats by looking at the headers and footers. If all the information on the heads and tails have been squeezed then that means that the images were squeezed by an optical printer. if the heads and tails are normal then most likely the anamorphic images were shot with an anamorphic camera lens.

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 04:27 AM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice the sound on the end too, kinda disappointing, I know our ushers aren't as happy, the love cleaning Fast & Furious though. I'm not too happy with how these look either, there's just something about 'em that just isn't satisfactory.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2001 06:44 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film on the weekend, and I thought the whole mix lacked a bit of 'punch'. Like it had been compressed.

I saw Shrek after seeing Tomb, and the mix was much nicer and richer

Regards
Steve Brown

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I heard it from the auditorium, I realized that the credits music comes only out of the left and right screen channels. This might be a big factor in the lifelessness of it, plus it seems low in volume anyway. It seems like nearly all credit music (or maybe musical scores in general) comes out of the surrounds as well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2001 03:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of closing credits, I liked the music during the credits of Twister. Very discrete. If you turned off the left and right channel amps, but kept the center channel on, you would hear ONLY the electric guitar. Very cool.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I notices was that in the opening sequence when Lara is fighting that robot the sound of her firing guns sounded flat compaired with the bass sounds given out with the robott stomping about. The guns lacked the clarity of the similar gun heavey sequences in Exit Wounds.

I also definately noticed a problem with the end credit music. The U2 song only seemed to be comming from the left channel and was very quiet.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 07:06 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our German versions were SRD only, and the sound among the poorest in long time. Lacking bass and no brilliant heights with compressed mid, another example of a direct to video type sountrack-mix put on a motion picture release. The film was not released through the Paramount outlet, but through a smaller distributor commonly selling videos.(Tele Muenchen)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: