Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SHISTIE Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SHISTIE Projectors
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 05:00 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deal All,
I am wondering why do more and more cineplexes keep on upgrading their equipment to the magnificent SHISTIE projectors (CHRISTIE). I mean. What is the good thing about them (if there is anything good about them). My boss in his new Cineplex is determined to install CHRISTIE projectors. Why not choose something more reliable like KINOTON?
Just asking
Demetris Thoupis

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 09:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that cost is an issue. Kinetones are a well-made projector, but is more expensive. And when you are doing a, say, a 18 screen multiplex, it's that extra cost - times 18.

If you think you can get him to change his mind, perhaps you can go back through past postings, (at Film-Tech) copy and print out comments regarding both projectors.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 11:48 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that many big companies hire professional buyers who ususally know very little about the product they are buying. All they see is the up front $$ cost, w/o considering long term product reliability and replacement parts cost. I was told that Century Theaters was in some type of exclusive contract w/ Christie, and recently renewed this contract. Basically, Christie undercuts the prices of their competitors and sells the console,projector and platter as a package. I tried to find out what this "package" costs, but was not successful. Christie also has a better customer relations/tech support department which I believe Strong lacks. I think that Christie will actually come to the "site" to install equipment. Sometimes I question just how good their tech departments are, but lord knows they need them with the P-35GPS being as !@#$% as it is! Actually, I think that the AW-3 and SLC consols are decent, but could use some quality improvements. Christie makes their profit by overcharging for replacement parts, but those may not cost you anything depending on your warranty. Example, look at how much they charged for those douser blades that warped all the time, and the replacement cost. However, I guess that they are expermenting w/ other materials to help minimize/eliminate this warping. I also understand that Christie is more willing than their competition to listen to customer complaints/suggestions and impliment design changes. I have also been told that the P-35GPS is an easier machine for unexperienced 'projectionists" to operate and conduct minor repairs on.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 12:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton is usually very competative now in price with the PK60 machines and they are far more durable and idiot proof to run than most

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-30-2001 12:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie projectors are very particular, but once you work on them a bit, they become very friendly. I've been having less and less complaints from them as Christie has been making upgrades based upon customer feedback. Pulleys, basement readers, gate bands, dousers, etc...all of which and more Christie has been making improvements to. With digital cinema so prominent on the horizon, they could pretty much just dump all R&D on the projectors, but they are not doing that.

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 03:16 PM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, I had a Strong tech come to town for my theatre's opening, and we're only a 12 screen. I've never had a problem dealing with them, and I've actually been quite pleased when I've had to deal with them, which isn't that often thank god!

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 04:41 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
This is the second cineplex my boss is opening in Cyprus and since he installed Christie projectors in the first, he will continue install Christie projectors because of the great VALUE they have!YEAH RIGHT. Anyway. Personally I find Christie a nightmare to thread. Also they are suppose to be maintenance free while they are the most maintenance needed machines in the market. Their lamphouse is good though and their platters are considered the best in the platter. TOO BAD they can't improve their projectors to the maximum. I always prefer my Cinemeccanica VICTORIA 5 projector
See ya all
Demetris Thoupis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton PK60 is extremely price competitive over here in the states. I just quoted a job with them. Overall, as far as I'm concerned there is no other projector any longer other than the Kinoton that I would install new.
Mark @ GTS

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 07:08 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So then what's the verdict? My little 2-plex uses Strong platters and Simplex 35s. I like the 35s but they are due for some maintenance, leaky bastards. Our new owner seems to be fond of Christie and we are on the verge of expansion so I would like to know the way to go.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple tell the owner to look at the european options suchas Kinton Cinemecanica and Ernamann

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 11:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Don't knock those Christie projectors!

I just bought a new car with a sizeable downpayment and I expect to be able to make DOUBLE payments on it.

All of this is thanks to Christie projectors!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2001 11:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you currently have Simplexes and like them....stay with them. It is that simple. The current Simplexs coming out of Strong are doing quite well for us. They have addressed the leaking situation even more in recent years. Personally, I have never had any real grief with Simplexes leaking oil...they seep a little but so what? If it stays off the film, it doesn't bother me. I'll take seeping projectors any day over belt breaking ones! The Simplex is a rather low cost projector to keep running too.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2001 05:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There Are only two brands one cinema should consider installing. KINOTON is the first and Cinemeccanica is the second. Anything else is a waste of money. Forget Christie. You need hours and hours of dedication in the maintenance. Of course these projectors are much cheaper and you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. That is the reason why they should be renamed to SHISTIE projectors!
Demetris Thoupis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2001 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually here in the states the Kinoton PK60 and Christie are priced almost the same. This is even with basement digital and 2 lens turrett. The PK60 is unparralled for picture steadiness...the Christie is not even on the map in that department yet.
As far as Simplex's go, replace the main drive shaft seal and the rear gaskets and that should take care of the leaking. When replacing the shaft seal its best to get the whole shaft seal kit from your dealer as sometimes the seal has worn a groove into the outer diameter of the drive gear and the new seal will just be chewed up in a short time. Get the new molded rubber door gasket from Strong. Forget the older medical tubing gaskets that are glued in place! Simplex's are great machines. My #2 choice.
Mark @ GTS

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to be kidding...A Shakameccanica over a Simplex or a Century, for that matter? I'll take a Simplex over just about anything. My results with new PR-1014s this year have been nothing short of outstanding with picture steadiness that would rival the best of European offerings. The Kinoton PK-60 and FP-30 series are indeed outstanding but certainly not the only choice. If you like Century, then great results can be had from them too.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: