Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » So, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BEST PROJECTOR EVER BUILT WAS/S?

Author Topic: So, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BEST PROJECTOR EVER BUILT WAS/S?
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2001 08:31 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that this can be another topic to be debated for years!

One thing that I have heard over and over again is the quality of the Simplex E-7 and early Century C.

Many Projectionists that I have spoken with feel that in many regards these machines are superior in quality to those being built now.

When I purchased my E-7, it had been running when it was removed from service. It had been in storage for quite some time, and was absolutely filthy! It cranked over beautifully by hand, so I assumed that all it would need would be a disassembly and cleaning! What I found were a lot of parts that were worn out, and was impressed with the quality of design and manufacture that enabled this machine to operate like a tank! I know that they had their quirks, and premature gear failure will result if not cleaned/lubed and operated properly. I did ask both Strong and Wolk if the blueprint drawings still existed, and was told that they had been discarded. Does anyone out there have some? Tis a shame, because there are still many of us who are using these machines, and some parts are becomming rare. For all of you out there, would anyone be interested in measuring NOS (New Old Stock) parts and making new drawings off of them? Gear cutting is a very involved and expensive, and the E-7 gears had their own special designs. They were not common gears. I have been scratching my head about the possibility of machining master patterns off of existing gears for the possibility of investment casting. The advantage of investment casting is that shrinkage can be controlled, and tight tolorances and excellent finishes can be achieved!

I have also been told about the greatness of the Century Cs with the turret and gate(?) upgrades.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-03-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My answer is the old Brenkerts.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2001 09:05 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll cast my vote for the Simplex XL.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-03-2001 11:17 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went through this once before, and I think the overwelming response was a Philips/Noreleco AA-II.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2001 02:09 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your talking about early projectors, then there is only one that out ranks them all.And that is a CUMMINGS AND WILSON SENIOR!
But then the P series and the M series must not be forgoten, the model D did turn out ok in the end.

------------------
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.
SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM
PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-04-2001 02:55 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will: do a search for 'Best and worst projector' and 'Best Projector ever made'... constantly starting new topics for beaten-to-death horses does get old.

Party on...

Aaron

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2001 10:20 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best and worst projector Phillips Norelco DP70 EL4001. It's the best until you have to move it. Then it's the worst

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2001 11:27 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best machines I've worked with or on (not in any order) are

Century
Westrex Westar 2001 (2003 rep set for ease, 2002 and the thing just purrs)
Phillips FP20 & DP70
Cinemecannica Vic 8

Worst
Monee (ARRGHHHHH!)
Cinemecanica Vic 5
BTH SUPA

Also always had a fondness for the machines I cut my teeth (and fingers) on.
GB Kalee 19 & 21
Ross GC 2
Fedi XT 35/70
Westrex 7000 (student film soc, many happy nights spent running that old heap!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: