Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS drops to mono on Scary Movie 2

Author Topic: SDDS drops to mono on Scary Movie 2
Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 04:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 3000 model of SDDS and it is dropping to mono as soon as the feature hits the screen. Does anybody have any clue what could cause this? It has only done it on this print and I have ruled out cue sensors already and I am stumped. I really hate dealing with SDDS units. To make matters worse, I do not have the password to get in the unit for configuration. Only our techs have that. Aaarrrggg.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2001 09:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, drops to mono?

On a 3000, button #8 is supposed to be SDDS...it's fall back is normally a digital input first then NR 2...sometimes straight to NR 2 (SR to anyone else). The only way it could go to mono instead...that is stay with button 8 illuminated and display that it is in mono is if it was PROGRAMMED that way with the software. If that is the case, then it has gone to it's fallback because it can not read the film or that there is no SDDS information on the film...since it is unique to this film, my guess is that it doesn't have the SDDS tracks....your complaints about the SDDS system in this case are unfounded.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 10:46 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print does have SDDS. I know it is weird, but the unit jumped from button 8 to button 3 right at the feature. It is like it has been programed behind my back recently. We have had to press any of the digital tracks and then it works fine. I am going to swap our second print into that house to see what happens.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Las Vegas, NV

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2001 10:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher,

I don't think the SDDS unit can do that on it's own! I mean I don't think the electronics are there...I can believe that it is being told to do that....

Here is an experiment...after the show starts, unplug the automation connector from the back of the unit (before the mystery jumping occurs) then wait...if the feature starts and the unit doesn't jump anymore, you will have your answer it is being told to move...if it does jump...you need some service! BTW what firmware revision are you on? It should be v2.74 or later.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 10:53 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx, I will look into that...

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Las Vegas, NV

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: