Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to modify Xetron house for chrisitie xenon

Author Topic: How to modify Xetron house for chrisitie xenon
Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title basically says it, but I need to know if its possible, and how if it is, to modify a Xetron XHC-35 lamphouse to take a threaded chrisite xenon bulb. First problem is obviously that the Chrisites were designed to be put in positive in the rear, where the Xetron is negative in back. Then there's the threaded positive end not fitting into the the front harness, and then the negative lead being too big to fit all the way in the slot. Things like this must be possible, so if you havent done it before, I'd like help being the first.
-Jonathan Haglund

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-11-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what size bulb is it? you can get christie bulbs that do not require being screwed into anything. they have two male ends on both posative and negative ends. They also have a lead cable on the posative end. It can be removed if nessacary.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2001 07:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2000 watt, and I was hopeing to use a 3000 in one of them (light output is low). What is that lead cable for? The bulbs I use now are the kind you describe, but I was told they didnt make them anymore.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd better stop right there before you cause some damage. Positive end in the rear? What? I don't think so. Also, you want to use a 3000 watt lamp in a 2000 watt machine? Bad ideas all around. You just need to get the correct xenon for your lamphouse or upgrade the lamphouse.

How big is your screen? What is the throw?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-11-2001 08:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAAAAAAAAAIIIIT a minute!!!

What Christie lamphouse has a THREADED POSITIVE END?!? I think you have some kind of oddball bulb or you have it backwards. Does the 'positive end' on your bulb have the knurled nut on it?

Also, Brad's correct. Get the proper bulb for the application. Runninig a 3K bulb in a 2K lamphouse is gonna get really expensive when you kill the power supply trying to run it at 100A, or the bulb is gonna die quickly from running undercurrent. A dim picture from a console like an XHC-35 (which are garbage IMO) is more likely to be the result of poor optical alignment rather than a undersized bulb.

The correct 2000W bulb for that console would be:

Osram XBO2000W/H OFR
Christie CXL-20R
PerkinElmer XM2000H/V or H/VC
The cable on the positive end is removeable from any of these lamps, although it really isn't an issue with the Xetron as the terminal on the cable can be attached to where the positive power terminal attached to the spider at the front of the reflector.

Aaron

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-11-2001 09:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what a Xetron XHC-35 lamphouse is, but I have a chart showing what adapters are used to make a particular bulb fit in the XHN/XCN lamphouse/consoles. (I'm e-mailing it to Brad.) I don't know if it will help. Otherwise, I'm sure if you called Xetron, they could help you out.

Be aware, though, the previously posted cautions about putting a 3K bulb in a 2K lamphouse are valid. While Xetron makes adapters to allow different configurations, the adapters are specified at the time of installation. So they factor in other things before deciding on the bulb.

You can't just put in a larger wattage bulb. You must also check the size and type of the power supply,(can it handle a 3000 watt bulb?) is the air flow for cooling enough?, etc.

As Brad said; tell us how big the screen is, the throw, what size power supply, etc. and we'll help you out.

DOWNLOAD THE XETRON BULB ADAPTOR CHART HERE

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2001 04:08 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, stop yelling at me
It never occured to me to double check which end was which last time I worked on a christie because it didn't matter, the darn thing only went in one way. Somewhere along the lines, someone said the negative end was in front of the reflector, thus I figured the positive was in the rear. Ooops
Guess the idea of being able to swap parts around like you can in a computer doesn't apply here. The housing can supply power up 150 amps, though it probably isnt supposed to for normal use. Screen size and throw I do not know, I will soon. Now that I think more on the subject of illumination, I don't think I need more light, just better lenses. But you say I can get bulbs that have male connectors on both ends, then I shall get me to an equipment supplier right quick.
Upgrade the lamphouse. Sheesh. What have you got against 1940's technolgy anyway.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2001 04:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Upgrade the lamphouse. Sheesh. What have you got against 1940's technolgy anyway."

You better be careful about what you say regarding that lamphouse. Bob Maar is one of the big dudes at Neumade/Xetron and rumor has it that he has no sense of humor.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-12-2001 11:45 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>> Sheesh. What have you got against 1940's technolgy(sic) anyway.<<

The XHC-35 is an 80's-vintage console.

and just because the meter reads 150A doesnt mean the power supply is going to furnish that much without making it crystal clear it doesn't like to. Or if it is like most of the IREM supplies in the XHC-35's I have had the [dis]pleasure of servicing they will go out in a blaze of glory..... oooohhh....pretty fireworks....... hmm..... this is a better show than the show of 'Barney's Great Adventure' that we lost!

-Aaron

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-12-2001 12:57 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan,

Call the dealer of your choice and tell him/her to order an
XH 3007527 negative bulb adaptor. Please advise size of your power supply. You may call Xetron at 1 800 526 0722 and ask for technical support. They will be happy to work with you and resolve your problem.

While you are waiting for the adaptor to arrive please post a joke on the forum.

Regards,

Bob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: