Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Worlds leakiest projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worlds leakiest projector
James Robertson
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2001 11:15 PM      Profile for James Robertson   Email James Robertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be a few beauties out there. I nominate the English Ross projectors of the 50's.When I was an apprentice(a longgg time ago!) I suggested to the chief that we rig up a circulating pump so that we could shovel back the oil in the drip tray which had leaked out overnight leaving the machines dry. He was not amused.
Any other nominations/

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-17-2001 12:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any Simplex XL with a porous casting usually leaks loads of oil...

Simplex SH-100x and RCA soundheads can do their share of drooling lots of oil as well.

Aaron

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someday thousands of years from now they'll dig up the ground under where my RCA 9030/Brenkert BX80 sits and sink a new well.

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 07:30 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, You are the first person I have come across who has mentioned the Ross projectors. I have a photo of my father taken at the Granada Cinema in Grantham, England, sometime prior to 1956 that has a Ross projector clearly identified. From what my father has told me they were on RCA9030 rotary stabiliser soundheads.

Regards,

Michael.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 09:00 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Super Simplex over Motiograph. I got tired of using the oil can so I rigged up a gravity feed oil drip made out of some copper pipe and a bunch of plastic hoses that went to the oiling tubes. It look like an octopus. On the bottom of the motiograph was a drip pan (!) with a baby food catch jar. At the beggining of the show I'd dump the contents of the baby food jar into the octopus and let it run through. The drip pan caught most of it

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 09:11 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK you can still find Ross projectors running somewhere. Ilfracombe has a pair of these machines on changeovers with 2,000’ reels and BTH type ‘C’ carbon arc lamps. Also in Brecon I have seen two Ross GC3s on RCA 1041 soundheads with a Westrex tower. The owner told me that the picture was as good if not steadier than the Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 in his 2nd screen.

The worst oil leak I have seen was a standard Simplex projector onto a Western Electric Universal Base.

------------------

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2001 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there may be leaky machines out there remember it is the projectionists duty to keep the oil mess under control at all times!!
My nominees for the leakiest machines are........

1. Older Simplex X-L's. Even with all the new fangled seals the oil insists on exiting right through the main casting. Oil sales to plexes running these are always very good.

2. The Exxon Pro 35 with bad oil seals.... This will leave over a quart of oil all over the sound head and booth floor. And you thought the Exxon Valdez incident was awful?

3. Cinemecannicca Vic-4's are really awful.

4. Any Brenkert, especially an older neglected one with bad, swollen rubber gaskets.

5. Simplex E-7 with built in oil pumper. Everyone always pumps the heck out of these!

6. Simplex Super....Keep those Tampons in there and change em often!

7. Simplex Standard......Definately needs Tampons to keep things under control.

Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-17-2001 10:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Ross's lubrication system was basically like the Super/Standard Simplex put a few drops of oil in each tube. That oil is expected to just run out
I still don't understand why Ross didn't have a slip in apperture plate that could be changed while the machine is running

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 12:28 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Ross machines running up here in jockland, I've got a couple of x-boxes that are taking up space. That said, Mike Denner of Dolby UK uses Ross machines for his outdoor work at the various music festivals here. There was an article about his set up in 'Cinema Technology' a while back.

If my memory serves me well, one of the Ross models had a design flaw that basically stopped the shutter shaft from being properly lube'd. An old guy who was a former RCA engineer told me that it was not uncommon to find that section of shaft (I'm assuming it passes through a bush or bearing) had siezed and sheared clean off, the surrounding metal having been blued by the heat.

The Kalee machines are bad for leaking if they are on any kind of a rake, a place I worked at for a bit had two GK 21's which were down in the head by an impressive 20 or so degrees, the oil used to flow liberally out along the racking handle shaft, drip down into a baking tray carefully positioned for the purpose, before being poured back in through the brass 'ole in the top! Changed days, even in my short life time.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the RCA and Simplex soundhead leaking:

I know that they leaked when overfilled--and that the plain jane oil cup was origonal equipment. How many of you use the sightglass oil cup? As far as gaskets--I am making my own out of bulk Felpro rubber-fibre material to see if it works better. Install sealed roller bearings in the sound drum shaft (1040) so you do not have to oil that!--Do not use rubber shielded ones, as they do tend to be stiff.

Remember, when torqueing bolts down, to use the proper torque and tightening pattern. Tool loose will not properly seal, and too tight can ruin seals. Also, irregardless on what type of machinery you are working on--projectors, auto engines, etc, etc,--proper torqueing sequence is imperative to prevent the warpage of mating surfaces. This is very true of both iron and aluminum! And when replacing seals, double check that ther are no little burrs or debris on the mating surfaces that can ruin your day!

As for the E-7, my gear studs were scored from a lack of lubrication--this is how I received the machine. Anyhow, I am going to overbore my gears and press in oilite bearings. This should hopefully make a difference!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 04:25 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Simplex soundhead oil sight glass that wouldn't stop leaking
around the cork-like seals above and below the glass tube. I couldn't see any way to fix it. It's a pressed together assembly that only goes together one time. (and RTV sealant around it from the outside didn't do the job).

Sooo, I took a trip to the plumbing shop and got a piece of threaded pipe to replace the vertical oil sight glass. This works fine as a standpipe, only you have to view the oil level by looking down into it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way to stop leaks in a Simplex, or RCA soundhead. I've tried all the things you mentioned at least a decade ago. There was even a company outside of Chicago(Perk Industries)that made wax coated gaskets for RCA/Simplex and these worked pretty well. But eventually the oil permeates right through the porus cast iron, or alumnium castings just as in an X-L, or Brenkert. There is a process that Harley Davidson uses and is done by a company in West Bend, Wi. They hermetically seal a given casting under about 20,000 PSI of pressure. The sealent they use permeates the castings pores and closes it up tighter than a drum. This is the only way to do it right. Sometimes having the casting electropainted will do a really good job of sealing things up but you mare relying only on the finish itself for the seal. Although an electropainted finish is pretty doggone durable!

As for Soundhead bearings, Never use a bearing with any type of seal, rubber, or felt, on the rotaty stabilizer shaft. All you are doing is to introduce excessive drag on it and add to the wow & flutter spec. Only use bearings with a metal shield, or no shield at all if you can for this purpose. Use of bearings with a rubber shield on the gearbox can and does help seal it up. Another way is to pump the gearbox with 90 weight gear lube instead of oil. The gear lube will not run out very much. Mobil makes a great synthetic 90 weight gear lube that works great for this purpose. It does not go ransid and stink up the booth either. Oil sight glasses can be had from either Wolk or your local bearing distributer and are easy to get. The whole assembley in machines brass costs only 15 dollars or so. These too may leak even when new but they come apart and can be sealed up permanently by putting just the slightest amount of silicon on the ends of the glass sight tube before re-assembling.
MArk @ GTS

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2001 01:45 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have received my first Simplex XL - SH 1000 projector last weekend, and I am aware of the lightweight casting, so it must be aluminium or so. This type of casting- unlike cast iron - always has small holes in thestructure, and is very likely to drain oil through the metal, even with gaskets intact. Normally theese mechanisms stay dry when new as they were painted with oil resistant paint on the inside, but once the oil has creeped under the inside paint it starts cavity soaking through the casting. So it is pretty natural for every projector made of Al-Si or similar casting to leak. A German example wascalled Ernemann 8, always leaking oil, whereas the Bauer, made of heavy duty cast iron rarely leaked through the casting.
The only wayto get theese babies drey is totally overhaul and retreat the inside mechanism with the special paint.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-20-2001 11:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone elaborate on this idea of porous aluminum? I’ve never heard of this. It seems that if the casting was so porous as to allow oil through, it would be very weak structurally and distort when pressure (from mounting screws, etc.) were applied.

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2001 07:58 AM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballantyne Pro 35 and 70 straight shaft.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: