Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Playing with DTS Menus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Playing with DTS Menus
Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2001 09:21 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this was covered in another thread--I did search and didn't come up with anything the same, however. When I put an old DTS trailer disk into my computer's CDROM drive and execute the DTS.EXE file in the root directory it gives me the following message:

--------------------------------------------------
Just a moment... waiting for timecode reader reset

If I hit just about any key and it defaults and exits the program. Yet I accidently hit the up arrow and it flashes some jargon to the screen as seen here:

SCSI ID 4 = F
SCSI ID 5 = F
Drive 3 not found
Drive 4 not found
Drive 5 not found
Drive E is buffered
Drive F is buffered
F:\DTS.CFG: SETUP=NO
E:\DTS.CFG: SETUP=NO
D:\DTS.CFG: SETUP=NO
C:\DTS.CFG: SETUP=NO
Play from list
spinning up drives...
drives spun up...

Digital Theater Systems Reader = 00:00:00:00
DTS-6/6D Player Player = 00:00:00:00
DTS.EXE: V2.16 Queue/Min = 0/0
TC Firmware: V1.154

Player Type: DTS-6
Delay/Fixed = 165/70
CD-ROM drives = dEF
Timecode mode = DTS
Dac bin 0-15 = 14
Sync at opt hd = FALSE

Title: (None)
Setup = FALSE
Rx serial # = 0 Unmute Count = 0
SN Status = Unkown Reel Changes = 0
SN counter = 0 Edit Count = 0
End of file = FALSE Sync Error = 0
De-emphasis = FALSE Edit TC = 0
Default NR = A type Unmute TC = 0

Last changeover = CD Motor mode = Timeout mode
Nonsync closure = OPEN Motors/Countdown = *** 1799

From here it defaults to a menu as seen here:

DTS.EXE: V2.16
Please select function by number:
1)Play all reels to timecode
2)Play selected reel without timecode
3)Display trailer list
4)Display DTS.CFG options
5)Exit
?

I have tried the options and don't get anywhere. Option 1 simply tries doing something but then exits the program. Option 2 brings up the following menu:

Play select
Title Tracks Reel
----- ------ ----
1) Trailers Reel 14 5 14

Please select the file to play : (0 to exit)
?

From here if I choose Option 1 it defaults back to the main menu, or the program starts spinning the CDROM drive and then does nothing--at least that I can tell. At the main menu, Options 3 and 4 do nothing spectacular.

I do not know of any implications this may have, so I figured I would get the ball rolling a little bit. Surely it should have a gateway with which to play the DTS encoded files properly from a PC, who knows?

Steven Pickles

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the key is in the fact that the DTS unit has various types of circuit boards that are not in a pc...It is these curcuit boards that are what reads and interprets the data feeding from the disk. Without these boards you will be unable to play these files.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2001 05:21 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to make the same but with a DTS unit.

I usually test one of our theater with the help of an AT keyboard. DTS6 does not have an externat hole to plug the keyboard but DTS6D have it!

Write down the key you have to push to reach the "play without timecode" and make the same with the DTS6/6D. When you'll select the reel you'll see the "digital" light and sound in the theater.

It wot work on your PC because, I recall, there is a step in the check of the DTS.EXE that says "DTS player=FALSE"

Bye
Antonio

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-21-2001 11:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an easier ( but somewhat less functional) way to play a DTS disk without the movie... Put the "A" disk into drive-B and put the "DTS Empirical Test" disk into drive-A and reboot. The movie will start playing right from the beginning of the feature and keep going until you stop it.

You can't select the reel, or other part of the soundtrack to play but you can make the disk play. People seem to like this when I show them. The way I use this little ditty is as a final test after I'm done working on the system. There is no better way to test the player out after working on it than under realistic conditions. This is about as realistic as you can get without actually threading up the movie and running it. That is often impractical, especially when you have just finished working on the unit and it's getting close to showtime. (Where "close" is defined as less time than the movie needs to play.... unless you are running reels.)

When I have finished my work I like to show the manager how things sound before I officially "sign off" on the repairs. I usually start the thing up and then take the manager down to the theatre and let him listen to it. This way, if there's something wrong I can fix it before I leave. If there are problems after I leave I can now say that the manager approved of my work before I left and that if there was a problem (s)he should have mentioned it then.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2001 01:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I thought I was the one who thought of the Empirical Test Disc trick! I am going to sue you for millions, Randy!

You can also buy a DTS Timecode Generator. I think they are about $400. It would be interesting to compare it to how useful an AT style keyboard would be.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-22-2001 02:23 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, sue me for all you want. Even if you win you'll wind up with nothing. You can't get blood from a turnip!

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy or Joe:

Where can I purchase/obtain a new DTS Empirical Disk? The one we had at the theatre for a while has been missing since last summer. Thanks.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any theater supply dealer can order you the Empirical Test Disk, but they are NOT free!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[You can also buy a DTS Timecode Generator. I think they are about $400. It would be interesting to compare it to how useful an AT style keyboard would be]

The DTS Timecode Generator is easy to operate, it simply pugs in the timecode head plug (allways ensure to power the unit down before connecting!) and input the DTS disk serial number to be played and select a track (if required) for it to play.

The unit is about 5" square and will be a lot easier to operate and carry than a PC keyboard.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-22-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd e-mail the .img file to you but it's 201 megabytes. If I made it into a stuffit archive I could get it down to about 150. Either way it'd take about 15 hours to send with my modem.

You can just copy them like any other CD. That's what I do anyway. I use the copy for daily use and save the originals. That way when the disk gets all scratched up all I have to do is make another copy. As a matter of fact I have the .img file on my hard drive and I don't even need the original disk to make a copy anymore. I just put another blank disk in the burner and hit a few buttons. A few minutes later... Ka-Ching!... an new disk!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I would Zip (or RAR, which can be segmented into many smaller files) to be compatible with any OS but somehow I don't think DTS would like me doing that. I'd put it up on Film-Tech if I had their blessing.

Whaddya say, Karen?

Also Randy, most ISP's limit e-mail attachments to around 5 or 10 Megabytes.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-22-2001 11:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... if we segmented the archive we'd end up with something like 40 little 5 MB chunks? File size limitations or not, I wouldn't be willing to spend 15+ hours downloading the things, let alone reassembling them!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2001 11:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why segment the archive? Just do it in one BIG file.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-23-2001 12:48 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, but no matter how you slice it (or DON'T slice it ) you will still be downloading 200 megabytes. Even though more and more people have broadband nowadays, that's still a lot of data. Us peons who are still stuck with modems are not likely to be willing to spend the time to download that amount of data, whether it's segmented or not.

I could get DSL or cable if I really wanted it but since I'm never around long enough to make use of it, I'd be wasting my money.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2001 02:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for segmenting is in case you get a corrupted download. That way you can just re-download the segment that got messed up instead of re-downloading the whole thing. Reassembling the big file is automatic. Also, many ISP's kick you off after a certain amount of time, no matter what you are doing. Many dial up people will lose their connections regardless. With segmenting, you don't have to start from the beginning and hope for the best. Broadband users could download "The Big File". Either that or JUST have one "big file" like Brad says and to hell with dial up users It would be a present for broadband users

Then comes the question of what format to upload it in. CDR-WIN with a BIN and CUE sheet? Disc Juggler? Nero? Toast? None of these are compatible with the other (to my knowledge). Mac users are screwed.

Like I've said in the past.... dial up modems should be illegal.

I thought I was fine and dandy with my dial up connection until I got DSL. After that there was no way in the world I could EVER go back to dial up again. It really does spoil you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: