Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Manual for Simplex SPS Portable 35mm Projector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Manual for Simplex SPS Portable 35mm Projector?
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I bought a Simplex SPS portable and I've been tinkering with it a lot lately. I'd love to find a manual for this machine but so far I've had no luck. I don't see it listed under the "Manuals" section of this site. Can anybody help? A photocopy would certainly suffice.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the Simplex portable that has a RCA logo on the soundhead portion? If so, that's a manual I'd like to get myself.

Does that machine also have a picture changeover mounted on it?

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 12:44 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

The Simplex SPS portable does have a Zipper picture changeover mounted on the unit. Mine was once paired with another SPS in a college auditorium.

As far as the soundhead goes, it is not marked with RCA. The components of the sound pick-up are all contained in the same large black cabinet that contains the projector mechanism. It is not a separate unit like we usually see with a permanently installed cinema projector.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Randy!

Here's a long shot, but might be worth trying. ICECO in FL is known to sell Simplex and other portables.
http://www.iceco.com

Maybe by chance they might have one.
I'll keep my eyes open.

--Chris

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 03:05 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Good idea! I'll give them a call.

I'm thinking about calling Strong as well. I know it is probably a stretch to think they might have inherited an archive of old manuals when they bought Simplex but it's worth a phone call to find out.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 05:45 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

Can you post a picture of this projector?

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2001 07:55 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I'll have to see if I have any photos of it. If not I'll take some and post them.

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2001 02:18 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fellows,

I have a copy of the SPS manual and I would be glad to share it if I could figure out how to enter it into the manual section of Film-Tech. Could one of you please explain the procedure and while your at it, I could also use a little help in reprinting what is already there. Thanks,

Dennis Tichy

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-24-2001 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do not have the capability to make a pdf file out of it (most people don't), photocopy it SINGLE SIDED and mail it to us. The address is on the contact us link.

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2001 08:55 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Brad Miller---Thanks for the information Brad. I'll copy the manual and you should have it sometime next week.
To Randy---Hi Randy. I have a question about your SPS. Does your framing knob work? Or to be more precise, "How does it work?" The fellow I bought mine from had two perfect machines---perfect except both machines seem to have a frozen framing knob. The manual is not much help on this point. Apparently there are a few slight varations between the SPS I have and the manual's version. This is one of the great mysteries of my life ---how to use the framing knob on that 400 pound portable? Anyhow, I'll be sending Brad the manual for the SP and the book on the Strong 5400 arc lamp that it uses. I believe they were some of the earliest works of the Korean translator who gave us those side-splitting early VCR guides.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2001 11:55 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

Thanks for making your Simplex SPS manual available for Brad to add to the Manuals section. I'm anxious to download the info and put it to use.

You're right about the SPS being a "400 pound portable." At least it SEEMS like it weighs that much!

I'll have to look at my machine when I get home tonight to be sure I correctly describe how the framing mechanism on it works. I'm a little vague on how one aspect of the mechanism operates and since it's not close by I'll have to check it out tonight. I'll post a description to this thread, probably tomorrow morning, so that we can compare notes. I don't know if there are different versions of the SPS. I do know that they were available with both arc lamps and mazda lamps. Mine has the 1,000 watt mazda lamp. I bet the framing mechanisms on them were probably the same.

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little bit more about the Simplex SP series. There were three different units---all with the same threading. Randy has the SPF unit with the 1000 watt Mazda lamp. The SPF has a Universal motor which will run in either DC or AC and "will give good speed regulation when operated on voltages of 100-135 volts." And I have been blessed with the SPS which has a Strong "Portable" low intensity arc lamp mounted where the Maza bulb would normally go. The arc runs on 110 standard house current which is lots of fun for the projector nut but much less amusing for the partner (in this case--a wife). They will almost immediately begin complaining about the silliest things like ash covering the coffee table or the cat being electrocuted.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2001 08:10 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

I agree that electrocuted cats and ash on the household furnishings are indeed a small price to pay to get great light on the screen from your arc lamps! (Notice - No animals were actually harmed during this educational on-line discussion)

I took a close look at my Simplex portable last night to make sure I am certain how the framing mechanism operates. Here goes...

On my version of the SP there is a module which basically consists of two oil resevoirs, the upper feed sprocket and the intermittant sprocket. One oil resevoir is for the intermittant and one is for the internal workings of the upper sprocket. Each has a sight glass to let the operator determine oil levels.

The entire module is suspended from a rack that extends out to about the end of the lens collar. The framing knob, located on the operating side near the lens collar, is attached to a shaft that has a gear located about midway. The gear teeth mesh with teeth on the bottom of the rack that the intermittant/feed sprocket mechanism module is attached to. Therefore, when one turns the knob, the gear works with the teeth on the bottom of the rack to move the module either forward or backward. Since the upper sprocket and the intermittant are part of the module, when one moves the module the film is moved either up or down in the film path, depending on which way you turn the knob.

The framing mechanism on my SP was very stiff when I first got it. I don't know when it was used last prior to the time that I bought it but I believe that it had been in storage for awhile before I found it at a cinema supply company's warehouse. Once I got it home I put a little projector oil on the gear and gently nudged it a bit until it freed up. Now it works very smoothly.

Does your SPS also have a film gate that resembles that found on a manual thread 16mm portable? After working with Simplex Supers and XL's I was suprised when I saw the different type of gate on my SP. It works great through.

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

In answer to your question about the gate on my SPS, the answer is "yes, sort of". It is really a strange two step movement. First the lens swings and the gate swings. Kind of a product of a 3 Martini lunch.

I'll get that manual photocopied this weekend and sent to Brad first this coming week. Hope it is very helpful.

Dennis

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy are you sure that this is not A ACME SIMPLEX from the way you sound,An it being one Unit I bet it is A ACME

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: