Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Questions on Silent Simplex Restoration

Author Topic: Questions on Silent Simplex Restoration
Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure any of you Film-Tech members were around in the silent era, but I am sure that some of you would know the answers to these questions.

I am restoring an early Simplex regualar (the type with the framing lever in the back). I also have a very early arc lamp(no name) , a 3 point base, and two very early Simplex Mags (the shiny black with raised painted letters). If you look at the Film-Tech pictures from the Highlands Museum, it should look quite a bit like the third machine back in the first picture.

Here's my problem. Apparently the bases from the silent period were generally almost straight across on top. I am assuming that because there was no soundhead, there was no need to mount the projector from the back. It seems as if they were mounted on the bottom. Am I right so far? The next problem is the lower magazine. They must have screwed into the bottom of the baseplate because the magazine holes do not line up with the two large holes under the head. Am I still right? If these assumptions are correct, could I not just convert my "modern" 3 point into a Silent base by using the thickest piece of deck planking I can find and cutting a slit for the bottom film mag?

I am also curious as to what the correct spacing was between the projector head and the arc lamp. It seems as if it would have to be at least 9" because of the framing handle in the back of the projector head. There is already a snout on the lamp. Did they just keep that rest of the space open?
I would really love to go to the Highlands or Chicago Museums and see how this was done. I am sure one look would be worth a thousand questions. However, in the meantime, I would appreciate hearing from those of you who might have pictures or advice on Silent restorations you have done.

P.S. I still need a crank for the Simplex Regular. Please e-mail me if you have one to sell. Thanks

Dennis Tichy

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: