Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » When is it safe to start building theaters again? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: When is it safe to start building theaters again?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2001 11:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As just about everyone in the industry with an IQ over 8 knows, it is mainly because of overbuilding that many chains have filed for bankruptcy. Many theaters have been closed by chains that avoided bankruptcy as well.

Now, a certain theatre chain (Colorado Cinemas Holdings Group Limited Liability Corporation) here in Colorado wants to start building again. The plan is to put a brand new 10 plex in the small town of Parker. This new theater will only be 6 miles from the chain's current flagship 16 plex. I guess they have already broken ground and want to have it open by October 2002. Not long ago a different theatre chain (Century) pulled out of two new 16 plexes they had under construction in Boulder and Lakewood (Lakewood doesn't have ANY movie theatres). Before that Mann Theatres couldn't find the finances to finish a new 16 plex that they were building. They tried to cut costs by putting in (very) used equipment, but it just wasn't enough. The project was abandoned. And tons of theatres in the Denver metro area have closed down or have been sold to independants wanting to run dollar movies. More closures are supposedly to come.

What's everyone's opinions on this subject? Should we take it easy for awhile or should we start back up again?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2001 11:21 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the combination of egos and fiscal irresponsibility that permeates this business, the building is never going to stop. The major players all think they are PT Barnum and want to have The Greatest Show On Earth ....whether it makes fiscal sense or not!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they've gotten rid of the dogs and are done with the reorganization, are done with the legal part of the proceedings (?) and are becoming more stable? Maybe a lot of the whole reorganization thing was just to dump the losers? At any rate, at some point in every economic down turn there comes a time when people begin to get their courage back and standup and take a step forward. Maybe it's time. I've always felt that economic upheavels were generated by a state of mind. Someone said "recession" and everybody bought into it. I vote we go forward

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the area that I live in is concerned it is still over saturated with too many screens. This is after both Cineplex and Carmike have shuttered a number of locations. The funny thing is that Larry Miller of Jordon Commons fame is planning two more locations of which only one is really needed. He is putting in screens at the "Gateway project" and up in Park City. The Park City location is the one needed as there is little to no quality as far as film is concerned up there. This is where the Sundance Film Festival takes place and I'll never figure out how they have survived there this long.
As far as adding more screens to this are is concerned, it is EXTREMELY FOOLISH! Greater SLC is still over-screened and there is only one decent theatre here (The Villa).

What does need to be done to theatres around here is to bring up the overall quality of presentation in regards to picture and sound. Its piss poor everywhere around here. Only one decent place that a quality presentation could take place and it is under utilized and on the verge of disappearing ( www.villatheatre.com ). Other areas that must be explored and always improved on are customer satisfaction and personal service. ALL theatres in this area give their patrons absolutely nothing beyond the glitz. I have lived here for quite a while and have yet to see an usher help someone find a seat after a film starts. Man, thats the most basic personal service that can be provided in any theatre.

All in all, its time for theatre owners, and in particuluar the large chains, to go back to square one, step back and look at what is missing from seeing a film today in a multiplex. What I see missing usually is quality presentation, and customer service and satisfaction. It is also time to survey what little is left of the past. As much of the past should be preserved as is possible. Be it a Cinerama Theatre, or a local suburban single screen theatre. None of these can be replaced after they are gone and they are indeed far more important than building more multiplexes at any location at this time.
Mark @ GTS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2001 01:48 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that a company could build a new theatre at just about any time, providing it's located in a market that hasn't already been subject to "saturation bombing". There are plenty of medium sized towns that don't have a really good theatre. There's bound to be one or two places left that are still ripe for the pickin's.

It's just that the time and place has to be thought out well enough in advance so the theatre will make enough money to stay afloat. There are still a couple of towns down here that could use a good theatre but so many companies have spent all their money building locations that have bombed, so they don't have the resources to build another one.

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote to build new Drive-ins and the hell with these megaplexes. We have enough of those and they all have poor picture quality. The Drive-ins around here are much better and more fun to go to.

------------------
http://www.drive-infilm.com

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2001 05:22 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how the Sacramento area's got a LOT more screens than it did 10 years ago, and most of the independent movies STILL don't get played anywhere except for the sleazy old 'art house' theater that should have been closed a long time ago. Are we really gonna need "Rush Hour II" playing on 3 screens at every place else in town?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2001 09:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't be too hard on the independent art house they may be the only survivors

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2001 11:48 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews is about to open a megaplex in Elizabeth NJ at the Jersey Gardens outlet mall. The theater was to have opened last year but Loews' fiscal woes and Chapter 11 filing held it back.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-29-2001 12:16 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are still building:

In Las Vegas:
http://www.e-vegas.net/display/article.asp?article=1216 http://www.lasvegas24hours.com/news2.asp?Region=99

In Minneapolis: http://www.mcda.org/whats_new/Newsreleases/block_e.htm

In Chicago (just opened): CLICK HERE

In California: CLICK HERE

We are quite lucky we are privately owned, and so don't have thousands of shareholders demanding immediate "knee-jerk" changes to a fairly stable business plan, just because the stock market goes up or down. We've actually had several mall owners ask us to take over theaters they own after the orginal theater people quit because of bankruptcy.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the chains building new theaters when they are not even taking care of the theaters they already have?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-29-2001 01:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which theatre in Sac is a 'sleazy old art house'? the Tower? Crest?

Most of the new cinema properties in the Sacramento area are being built [or proposed] by Century, who doesn't seem to be suffering too badly with the bottom falling out of the megaplex boom.

Aaron

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-29-2001 07:23 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- the only art theatre in Sacramento is Reading Theatre Company's TOWER theatre --- I'm told they haven't done much to keep it up.

-Scott

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews just opened a new 17-screen gigaplex in downtown Boston. I have no idea why. It sounds like a really bad idea, but who knows. I haven't been yet, so I can't comment on the quality of construction or presentation.

The Loews theatre follows last summer's opening of the GCC Fenway 13. Thus, in the past 12 months, the total screen count in Boston proper has gone from under twenty to over forty.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2001 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a manager at an independent in a very upscale suburban Detroit theatre (Uptown Entertainment). We have one location with eight screens. As it stands now, we can not fill the high demand we have. We need more screens pronto. Since our clientele is very picky and sophisticated, we are undergoing construction of a 12-screen to be completed this October/November called The Palladium 12. It is located only one block away. It is going to be THE nicest looking place in the midwest, if not the country. We'll be the only one in the midwest (correct me if I'm wrong) with a theatre with leather seats and dinner tables that our guests can dine at from a buffet while watching their movie.

Our business is not letting up whatsoever, hence the reason for our new sister theatre. I think part of it has to do with the fact that we offer a different type of product. We're not the cookie-cutter megaplex. It's just something you'd have to see. Being an independent offers the oppurtunity to change things that are pretty standard throughout the industry and be able to change policy and what not immediately with almost no red tape.

As long as your product is unique and your service is personal, people will eventually recognize it. It seems to us that every few weeks we break a record for attendence or grosses since we've been open in 1996.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: