Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thank you, ETS

Author Topic: Thank you, ETS
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to the ETS depot in Elizabeth, NJ (and New Line, too) for the two prints of Rush Hour 2 we received.

Both prints were shipped on black Transfilm reels, all heads up, properly wound and in excellent condition! It was a rush (no pun intended) just to handle them. Incidently, this has been characteristic of New Line prints lately. Nice to know there are people out there who do get it. Then again, we rarely have a problem with ETS in general.

To borrow on a "Pytlak" expression with slight variation, this was "film shipped right". It put the fun back into print make-up.

Then...I turned to see all those bright orange cans just waiting to be opened!!! Oh, my.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2001 03:16 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS does have good quality cans and reels, but I sure wish the Minneapolis depot would ship prints sometime before Friday . I mean, for God's sake, the Twin Cities Carmike's get their prints on Wednesday, why must we get ours on Friday morning!

Hats off to TES for shipping on Thursday .

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 12:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A reminder to Film-Tech users, never underestimate the power of these forums. You would be amazed at who is lurking here; everything that is said is noted. This afternoon, while running around the ol' multiplex like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest (I was the usher for all 12 screens, the projectionist, and at the same time I was training in a new projectionist), I kept on getting passed messages that said someone had called for me. No return number or name was given, so I didn't pay them much heed. Well, at around 3 when I was finally getting a chance to slow down, the cashier catches me walking by and says, "Dustin, you have a phone call, some guy from LA who's been calling for you all afternoon." Well, to say that got my attention would be an understatment. I got on the telephone and you know who was on the other end? Who else but the President of ETS.

To make a long story short, I was mistaken in the above post. Yes, we do get our ETS prints on Friday, no, it it not the fault of the Minneapolis Depot. As it turns out, Twin Cities News, the people who deliver our prints from the Minneapolis Depot, get the prints on Wednesday. For some reason they didn't deliver them until Friday morning. Since it is Carmike that has a contract with Twin Cities News and not ETS, they couldn't do anything about it. A phone call from us this afternoon has hopefully rectified the situation.

I also want to be clear about the tone of the call. It wasn't a, "Its not our fault, you deal with it," call. Rather, it was a "I'm sorry about this, here's how you can fix it," kind of call. Hats off to ETS for giving a damn.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-04-2001 12:20 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, It is nice to know that someone really does care. I think the that gentleman that called you is they type we need more of in our industry.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2001 12:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet further proof that ETS is the film depot that does try and does care! Why they do not have someone representing the company on the forums here is beyond me. Having someone from a company lurk on the forums and contact individual people concerning their problems is a way to help, but it only helps that one single person. Having a rep on the forum providing public assistance to individual questions helps many people having the same problem.

To borrow a line from "Me, Myself and Irene"..."do the math!"

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 07:16 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got our two copies of RH2 on Tuesday from ETS down the street from us. The reels are in sound condition all heads up. We would screen it on Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. This will give us enough time to replace damaged reels (which is uncommon from ETS) before Friday's start date. Last month I built Pearl Harbor (Open Captioned for the hearing impaired) from TES all nine reels but one were tails out. I wound up buiding the whole thing backwards. By the way we get about two or three prints a month to show for the hearing impaired. Their site is www.tripod.org

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-04-2001 07:39 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind getting all the reels tail out. In fact I kind of like it. It allows me to inspect the reels and build them up onto big reels all at the same time. Some would even say that this is the proper way to ship a print, but I'll leave that discussion for another time.

What counts for me is that all the reels are wound the same way. It only takes a few minutes to rewind them but the easier way is to look at the reels as you sort them out and stack them in piles of heads/tails, then put them into cans to make up the prints before shipping. Okay, once in a while there'll be an odd reel or two but that's the breaks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: