Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Long Term Equipment Storage

Author Topic: Long Term Equipment Storage
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 01:10 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting ready to move all of my projection & concessions equipment into "long term storage" (maybe 6 months to a year) as construction begins on our theatre , and wanted to know if there are any precautions I should take when I put this stuff away.

Projection Equipment:
4 - Brenkert BX-60's w/ RCA 9030 SH
1 - Simplex XL w/ SH-1012

Should I drain all of the oil out of the projectors, coat anything with oil... I'm not sure what to do?

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 01:13 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure it's HEATED storage and that the area is dry. Projection equipment rusts very easily.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 03:59 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The storage area I have available is not heated, but it does have electricity.

Should I coat any "rust-prone" surfaces (i.e. sound head drum, etc.) with any type of oil or something. I was considering crating up the projectors and soundheads in wooden crates, but I don't know if that would be necessary.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry!

Go to a performance automotive or hot rod engine shop. There are special greases and lubricants used to store engines and machinery for long term storage. But, generally speaking, these lubricants must be thourghouly flushed when the equipment goes back into service, and proper operating lubricants reaplied. Yes, humidity and temperature control is very important. Professional vacume sealing for machinery might be a good idea. But remember that if not done properly, plastic bags can retain moisture. Also see about the large anti moisture containers--these are large versions of those little packs that come in suitcases, camera equipment, etc. These containers to need to be inspected and drained of moisture on a regular basis. Regular oils may gum up if static for a long time. In any case, when you bring the equipment back into service, thourghly clean it and test/clean all oil passages/galleries/groves to make sure they are clear. Also, keep fingerprints off of equipment--fingerprints and oils from your skin can enhance corrosion. Make sure equipment is properly cleaned and prepped prior to applying storage lubricants.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-06-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the environment is fairly stable you shouldn't have huge rust problems. I don't know about Nashville, but unheated storage in Toronto is bad in summer as the metal cools off at night and then condenses water during the day if hot humid air can get in at it.
A coating of light spray oil should suffice for a few months. Really long-term storage in humid locations means a grease coating and wrapping - and a nasty cleanup when you want to use the stuff.
I've used sprayed-on WD40 and wiped-on 2-stroke oil to protect motorcycles stored in unheated sheds, and both work pretty well but the oil doesn't disappear like WD40 so I think it's better.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 06:27 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No to W.D.-40. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: