Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » keeping the leader off the floor while unthreading a projector

Author Topic: keeping the leader off the floor while unthreading a projector
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 01:18 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets say someone has alredy threaded a projector and it needs to be unthreaded for whatever reason.

how do you keep the leader off the floor then?

ive tried to do this acouple times but couldnt figure anything out.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2001 02:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Back off the takeup tension, but not so far that the film hits the floor. Start at the bottom of the projector and unthread upward, holding the film off of the floor. Depending on your situation (poorly placed conduit and such) you may need to clamp the leader onto the soundhead with a clothespin and then unthread the projector. Every booth is different.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-05-2001 12:15 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Brad said. Plus, you might get a small desk-type plastic trash can to put the film in as you go.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-05-2001 01:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...OR.....

Presuming a platter...start at the take up platter...grab the ring and start unthreading...as you unthread the take up of the platter keep winding on the take up ring...when you get to the projector...set the take up ring on the lamphouse/console and unthread the projector..then continue your journey back to the platter...when you are done, plop the ring and film back into the middle.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 02:36 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the payout platter, tear the closest available splice, then wind the remaining film onto the takup platter as normal. Take the small amount of film from the takeup platter to the work bench and wind it onto a drop-in reel tails out (assuming you have one, this tip won't work if you don't) and drop it back onto the payout platter. Peel off the tape from the ends of spice that you tore and re-splice. No lost frames, and the film won't touch the floor.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2001 04:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Did I misread the original question? Was it intended to be concerning unthreading a projector "temporarily" before a movie has even started (still threaded on the leader), or how to restart a film once it is going?

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 09:11 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STEVE AND KYLE -- I do the same thing depeding upon the situation. If the leader is threaded and no one shows for the last show of the night. I'll use the ring and wind it. But lately I would motor up until the spice hits the brain and then rip it and follow the tail out to the platter so it won't hit the floor.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 01:28 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<Did I misread the original question? Was it intended to be concerning unthreading a projector "temporarily" before a movie has even started (still threaded on the leader), or how to restart a film once it is going?>>

Actually I was referring to when you unthread it before it has started in the case of a wrong movie being threaded, having to move the print, or having to work on something.

As for stopping a movie to restart it (i assume youre talking about restarting the whole thing) ive had no problem with that.
Its as easy as making a cut in the film before it goes through the brain, running the motor, and holding the film up so it doesnt rub against anything before going though the projector and holding it up as it releases from the projector and on the platter.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 03:05 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how much of the film is already on the takeup deck you dont even have to make a cut. Just follow the same steps that Steve said. Ive done this with about 1 1/2 reels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: