Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » National Avg Salary between 19,395 and 28,569

Author Topic: National Avg Salary between 19,395 and 28,569
JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 04:23 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Salary.com the National Average wage of a "Motion Picture Projectionist" is between $19,395 and $28,569 anually. In the Twin Cities, MN market, I know projectionists who make anywhere from $16,000 to the high end of $35,000. The area average is probably closer to $23,000. Of course MOST of these jobs include management responsibilities as well (and vice versa). The job description for the national average figures is:

"Sets-up, operates, and maintains media equipment including video, film, slides, audio, motion pictures, slide projectors, and computer equipment. May require an associate's degree or its equivalent. May be required to be certified in an area of specialty. Requires 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Typically reports to a supervisor/manager."

I look at Job opportunities in my areas with theaters and think to myself, it's time to exit the business. Theater chains need to seriously re-investigate their markets' salaries and job descriptions. Personally, if you combind two jobs (projectionist and manager) the new salary should be higher than the average of the combining two. In many instances I find this not to be the case. I don't expect salaries to double, but fair compensation should be a no brainer.

I bring this up because several theaters in my area, luckily mine not included, are shedding their full-time projectionists and instead of replacing them, training management to take over their jobs. Salary increase? Didn't think so.

When you axe jobs exceeding $20,000...one could at least expect a simple raise of $10 to purchase a bottle of KY Jelly or Vaseline.

|  IP: Logged

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully concur with you--we all should be paid more. I believe that the theatre industry does not pay well at all until someone runs their own theatre or is in charge of several theatres. While my salary as an assistant manager with my company is not borderline poverty level, I still sometimes expect too much. In Southern Florida the cost of living--with rent, auto insurance payments, groceries, and miscellaneous things--is just a little bit less than what I make. Whatever money I usually have left is hoarded for a rainy day. Since I'm working 50-60 hours a week at odd hours of the day, I'm lucky not to have a life otherwise then I'd have no money. The rest of my time is spent either sleeping or dreading having to go into work. I'm sure some of you guys and gals understand what I'm talking about. While we should see more notes coming our way, I know to not hold my breath. Luckily I'm still in school and unfortunately "the business" will not be in my lasting future. If I could make a decent living doing what I do now then I wouldn't be looking for a way out--I love it too much. I suppose sometimes we have to go away from what we love just to get by in the world.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 06:19 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where they are getting these figures from. To think of all the stuff I did for my past employer, and my salary was a fraction of this! Shows how they appreciate skilled craftsmen!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: