Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ceiling hight

Author Topic: ceiling hight
Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 09:53 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How hight schould we go? For example a 60 by 40 ft house with stadium seating with about 200 seats. What would be the best hight. Just got the ok to build a eight plex in Chehalis, WA

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-07-2001 10:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something that is going to be determined by the architect. The building codes in your area define the required rise and step of the stadium seating, which (along with other factors) will define the floor to ceiling height. Will there be main floor seating? Will it be sloped? Is the booth over a hallway, or not? There's no way for us here to answer the question accurately.

If you are still in the planning stages, ask to see the drawings to prevent common mistakes. (My favorite is when they put an exit door next to the screen, but center the projector port for the entire auditorium, rather than just the screen.)

Also, may I suggest you try to get the architect to understand that side masking (for flat/scope) is better than having top masking, and to leave room for that.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another thing to remember is that you do not want to exceed 300 seats or you will have to install an elevator system.

Mark Mayfield
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark Mayfield   Email Mark Mayfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a hot topic for me - architects and building contractors are sometimes not as mindful as they should be about ceiling heights for optimal sightlines and sound coverage.

Make sure they allow enough "headroom" (literal) for the surround speakers along the rear wall at the top of the slope (whatever slope it is) and make sure that the ceiling height at the front of house is high enough that you don't end up with severe projection down angles.

Most rooms I work on in this size category are minimum 24 feet at the screen and 10-12 feet at the rear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: