Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exciter lamp replacements for RCA 1040

Author Topic: Exciter lamp replacements for RCA 1040
Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 01:48 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA 1040 heads I have came with BXR (10v, 5a) exciter lamps in them. I was wondering if there was ever a new improved replacement for that number. These are getting a little hard to find through the standard bulb dealers, Bulb Direct and Gray Supply (Top Bulb). When they have them, their around $6 each. Are there any other sources in that general price range?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:03 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji Lamps is making them again as well as the BXC 8.5 volt 4 amp exciters that the Holmes portables use. Check their website at this link: www.fujilamp.co.jp/index-e.html

Any lamp supplier that carries Fuji brand lamps should be able to get these for you.
Cinema Products International carries these (www.cinprod.com)

David Tyson Lighting (www.davidtyson.com) should have them, too.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-08-2001 09:22 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter your name is familiar, Have we met...maybe in Stamford, Ct.?

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 05:25 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they the G10 Lamp with the pre focus skirt. If they are, we hold stock of these. sales@jack-roe.co.uk

If they are G10 type or G11, (Bayonet cap 10Volt 5 amp)your best bet would be to convert to Jaxlight. The prefocus one (XLS-650).

jonathan@jack-roe.co.uk

Projecting a round image

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-2001 06:13 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, how easy is it to convert the RCA sound head to reverse scan LED? It doesn't look any more difficult than converting a Simplex. In fact, it looks like you could just use the same kit.

I was just thinking converting the thing would be a better answer in the long run.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 09:19 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

The Component ASR-40 reverse scan fits the 1040 just fine and no cutting or drilling the castings.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 10:11 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replys. I couldn't find a good picture, but it's a single pin bayonet base (BA15S), no pre-focus alignment ring. The girl at Bulb Direct said the last time they ordered them was in 1996, but they could still get them. Not a hot seller. I got the last two they had in stock.

Ken:
David Tyson's web site is really something to see. To bad the ordering page doesn't work yet.

Bob:
I don't think we have ever met.

Johnathan:
Not that the Jaxlight isn't a possibility, but I think I'd opt for a reverse scan conversion. Much more bang for the buck, so to speak.

Randy,
I was told that the light baffle (part of the cast iron) behind the lamp will hit the reverse scan reader. I cut that out with a sawsall before I repainted them, just to be ready. The "low cost" Component Engineering reverse scan unit is looking better all the time. Anyone had any experience with them yet? This is all for my own use and is not in a commerical application so cost is the only thing holding me back from converting. $6 per lamp vs about $600 per machine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2001 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems with the ASR-40 series from Component Engineering. They are what they claim and install lickity-split! The power supply is kinda nifty too....the logic on the LED ON/OFF terminals is opposite of how I would have liked but otherwise seems just fine.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: