Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brenkert film platters?-idea

Author Topic: Brenkert film platters?-idea
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2001 05:08 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I am wondering if someone could bring Brenkert back in business
& prevent it from going into another demise. I would like to have
Brenkert to manufacture a film platter that would meet or exceed
the quality of Kinoton &/or BigSky platters-preferably Kinoton
in design,construction & operation & receiva a good as gold review
with nothing negative what so ever. It would probably be
be called BRENOWIND. I wonder if you could post or email me any design drawings on how it should be designed as well as any ideal
Brenkert equipment such as projectors without or with turrets.

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2001 07:11 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While they're at it, they can design a new and improved model of the Packard Clipper, or maybe the GE "Top Hat" refrigerator. The Brenkert name stood for quality, but then so did DeSoto. We don't need improved versions of old technology, we need to think up new ways of doing things. Look at the example of Kodak. They've taken silver-based film technology about as far as it's going to go, but they're progressive enough to understand that the future lies not in a product that hasn't changed substantially in over a century, but in a totally new concept like digital imaging. They understand that their business is in storing pictures, not film per se. What you propose is like asking someone to design a spiffy new steam locomotive. Let's face it, a few years from now nobody will be using platters, film or projectors as we know them except for hobbyists, collectors and museums. The weakest link in the whole idea of film is the film itself. It's fragile stuff. It's expensive, bulky and a pain to edit, print, ship, splice, build up, tear down and store. What you should propose is not a new way to move it, but a way to either improve it or replace it. Imagine if you will a feature "film" that can be instantly shipped anywhere, that won't scratch or break, that looks better than anything currently projectable and won't wear out. Perfect THAT idea and put the platters in the Smithsonian. The only reason they were invented in the first place was to fire projectionists and save money, not do a better job of showing films.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-11-2001 07:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather see a motiograph platter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-11-2001 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They all died a final death for a good reason! Personally I never want any of them to come back. Both Motiograph and Brenkert had gear trains that were blown way out of proportion! You saw what happened when Simplex tried to make a platter..........Too much hot air went into it.
MArk @ GTS

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-11-2001 02:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new platter would be pointless at this juncture. We already have the AW3 and Kinoton, arguably the best platters obtainable. but I would LOVE to see the Brenkert BX60/80/100 line reinstated keeping the original bulletproof mechanicals, but adding things such as a turret option. I wonder who holds the [Brenkert] patents and trademark rights these days... GE? Thomson?

Aaron

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2001 06:42 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's likely that Brenkert and Motiograph patents and trademarks have expired and fallen into public domain.

I would love to see the Brenkert and Motiograph projectors manufactured again!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-12-2001 07:33 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkert manufacturing rights for parts were bought out by Charlie Wolk in 1959/60.RCA Photophone soundheads ( tools, dies, casting )and manufacturing rights to Brenkert where sold to Toshiba of Japan. they chose to develop their own projector which is a mix of Brenkert with a Norelco style AA/II style, rear opening film gate ....which they call the P-35. Toshiba sold their rights a few years ago to India where the machine is still in production.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-13-2001 12:52 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, someone told me lately that a Japaneze version of the Brenkert for 35/70mm might have existed. Can you or anyone verify that?

Aaron, It would be nice to see the old Brenkerts come back again. But unfortunately, they won't. We have the technology to put a man on the moon, and send a probe up to Uranus but we don't have to technology to build an old machine with the exacting specifications such as the Brenkert, Moshee (which I never really liked, but was a darn fine machine), and a steam locomotive and make it cost effective.

Through the years, the manufacturer for Brenkert parts let the tolerances slip so bad that some Brenkert parts didn't fit a Brenkert anymore. I have seen this with other manufacturers as well.

Precision manufacturing has fallen by the wayside for many years now, it is apparent when you see all the crap many of the manufacturers (including those in our industry) are coming out with.

Mark, BAH-HUMBUG! It was called "over-designing" and "quality".

Yeah - Mark, those Simplex air-drive platters were a disaster! They even sounded like a run-away Hoover Vacuum Sweeper! Ear protectors were needed while you were around those things! What a POS! I serviced one of those, and it was one too many.

Grumpy Paul

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-13-2001 07:22 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the theater owners that have driven the manufacturers to reduce quality.

When an accountant is equipping, say, an 18-plex, (let's face it; that's who really is spec'ing the place) every little expense is times 18. And manufacturers are forced to go along and reduce prices. It's an easy trap to fall into, especially with market share dwindling. If you can buy cheaper steel shutter-ghost adjusting knobs (never mind the surface rust; it doesn't affect it's use, right?) you can save a dollar per projector. Loose the fire-safety shutter; film doesn't burn anymore. Not a big deal, but then you figure you can save more buying cheaper bearings for your flywheel soundhead. After that, it's not too hard to just reduce the tolerance on castings. Oil leakes out, but just describe it as a quaint characteristic, like a Harley ("It marks my parking spot!") Should get that bid now!

Then some manufacturers found out, it can be a win-win-win situation: Sell the projector now; let your customers do your engineering by finding the problems; then sell the same parts again later to fix them- only this time, sell "new-improved" parts that should've been used in the first place! The manufacturer only has to maintain that balance between; "just good enough to not fail right out of the crate" to; "not bad enough someone got killed using it." A projector/console/lamp setup costs as much as a new car; lemon laws and recall notices should apply.

Multiply all this times 18, and there's just enough to give that multiplex accountant his bonus for "saving" the company money. After all, it will take a 6 months to a year for the problems to start, so no one will associate him with the problems. Besides, maintaince appears on someone else's balance sheet. That's another reason why theaters want to paying nothing for a projector, but don't seem to mind paying lots to keep it going.

It's not always easy to quantify poor presentation with cost. It's not a simple debit entry, so accountants never think of it. In fact, they will rarely even acknowledge it's a factor.

Ranting.. and not a little a bit, either.... sorry!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-13-2001 11:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photophone produced in Japan a 35/70 version of the Brenkert BX100

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-13-2001 04:29 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toshiba Photophone...........The Indian manufacturer still buys the stars and cams from them to produce his P-35.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 04:39 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Anastasio was insulting steam locomotives! Shame on you John! Steam locomotives outperform diesels. However, steam is very high maintenance and requires a lot of knowledge and team effort betwen Engineer and Fireman to operate. When steam went out--so did many, many jobs that required skilled craftsmen! What I am saying here is only the tip of the iceberg.

The fact is that with the exception of computers, much of our technology is recycled! Case in point--multi valved dual overhead cam engines. Gee Whiz, what were the Deusenberg Bros. doing back in 1928?

In todays world of manufacturing, planned obselence of products is a critical factor! Unlike merchandise of years gone by, todays products are built to only last so long--so that people will be forced to buy new. Otherwise manufacturing companies would not survive! Case in point--what happened to the Tucker automobile, and the technology that was put into it! After Detroit shut Tucker down, it was not until the late 1980's thru mid 1990's that much of his technology was reintroduced into automobiles! Did you know that there is such a thing as a lightbulb that will not fail! What would be the disasterous financial consequences if such a product was brought to market! So one one hand, design obselence is a necessary evil, but even though we have todays technology, too many of todays products are not quality and reliable.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-13-2001 06:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - the manufacturers come out with their "All New and Improved" version of their junk. In manufacturer's language, it simply means, "Well, the last one didn't work, maybe this one will get us out of trouble".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: