Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » There once was a crappy, dirty, dusty, scratchy print of a modern classic......

Author Topic: There once was a crappy, dirty, dusty, scratchy print of a modern classic......
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-13-2001 03:38 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time I bought a clapped out 16mm print of Raiders Of The Lost Ark from a collector in the USA. It had many flaws... it was dirty, it had multiple base and emulsion scratches and in later years it was also turning.

Then, for its 20th anniversary screening last Saturday night it had a present. I applied a coating of Film Guard to it...

I ran it on Saturday night (which, I will add here, was very successful attendance wise...Paramount have really missed out on this one) and I can't recall how many times I thought throughout it just how f**king good this clapped out filthy print had turned out looking!

It had (in a previous life) two real bug-bears with me...one was a nasty black scratch in the sunset scene as Indy flies away at the start. As you saw the sunset this blasted scratch was there right in the middle of the sun! Then there was the scene at the end as the ark is 'going back to God' through the clouds. Again, a nasty black scratch right slap-bang in the flame.

I really hated that...

And now...guess what? (I know those who have used FG don't really need to guess) Clear! Absolutely clear! Nothing there! How f**king happy was/am I? I'll tell you how f**king happy I was...
I had a beer for Brad.

Even those in the audience not 'in the know' commented how good the print looked. The only blemish now is where the emulsion scratches just go too deep...but that's it. It doesn't even matter now that it's going pink (nowhere near as much as my Star Wars print) It looks fan-f**king-tastic.

Anyone who doubts the effectivness of this product, throw caution to the wind and spend the $35 or whatever it costs for a quart and try it. You will never accept dirty or dusty, scratchy prints again.

Your jaw will drop...

John.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage' - Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-13-2001 04:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rewind the media pads and run it again. It'll pull even more off. That is if the pads aren't too dirty already. But I have run a print with the same media pads for about 5 weeks, 5 shows a day with absolutely no problem. I would resoak the pads once a week, though. Also, I started this when the print was brand new, so there weren't huge chunks of dirt to worry about scratching it. Filmguard really makes you get your money's worth out of the media pads. And the print.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-13-2001 05:28 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this was a 'hand job'...so to speak. With a rag, not media pads. They were at the time busy keeping my Moulin Rouge print like new.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage' - Indiana Jones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: