Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Irem rectifier problem

Author Topic: Irem rectifier problem
Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 10:50 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Well, I had a good one today and perhaps someone else has run across this before.

Irem G3-X75 p.s. in a Xetron XCND console w/ P35GP projector.

Bad strobe on screen...normally a missing phase or open diode.

I immediately saw a terminal burned off the line side of the contactor. I cut the wire back to a good section and rewired with a new contactor. Problem still present. Checked the line side and load side of the contactor...118V to ground and 206V across phases. Diode? Checked all diodes...ok. Well, sometimes a diode will fail under load but test ok...so I replaced all six with six new diodes. Problem still present. Changed the bulb (you never know). Problem still present. No load voltage is about 98V and load is about 23V. I can easily bring the amps up to 82A. All of the tranformer outputs to the bridge test close in volts and amps. I tested and tightened all connections on the p.s. and up to the lamp. The large capacitor measures about 95V with no load and takes several minutes to discharge. I also checked the projector because I was running out of ideas...it appears to be running at the correct speed and the shutter is not damaged and is properly timed.

I would have changed the diodes again but I only have two more spares.

I am getting a little stumped. I called Neumade and they suggested the things I had already tried. I would have called Big Sky but it was too late.

I would greatly appeciate any suggestions. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I gotta agree, your first sentence is right, this is a good one.

You tried everything I would have tried.

Just wondering about the burnt wire on the line side of the contactor. How come? I know Irem is not famous for over-tight connections, but just wondering why that phase, is it possible something else down the path drew an unusually high current?

Have you tried checking the continutity of the transformer windings, (pain in the ass, I know, but that is the only thing that comes to mind, other than a burned connection underneath the input lug, which I'm sure you would have checked.

Good luck, and please let us know what it was.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you are already aware of this, but have you checked the veracity of the incoming line?

With the contactor engaged, you may be getting a "back-feed" through the transformer windings giving you a false indication of voltage where there actually is none.

In other words, have you tried checking incoming voltage on the input side of the unenergized contactor?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-05-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes check that incoming power source...could be a bad breaker for 3phase in the breaker box on the wall.....

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-22-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3303 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with this same model rectifier.

On this one, after a show had run fine the projecionist reported no lamp strike on the next show (second of the day).

I'm reading, at most, a no-load of 60vdc. Without attempting to strike with mode in manual (auto doesn't even trip at this point) the voltage then drops very fast. In 20 seconds or less it's below normal output range of 22-32vdc.

Have checked caps and diods and all 3 incoming legs measure 210 and quite smooth.

Thoughts?

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
you can write to Ing. Giaccone at IREM: sva@irem.it
He surely can help you with this problem.
Regards,
Giorgio.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with the same rectifier. 60 volts. The only difference if the voltage didn't drop. Try changing the starting cap.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 06:23 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

It ended up being the magnetic shunt. Only had one leg making contact. It was in pretty bad shape altogether. A wonder it hadn't failed sooner!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: