Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS defaulting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS defaulting
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been previously addressed or not, but here goes:

The DTS logo and previews run fine, but DTS defaulted into SRA at the start of Harry Potter. It could not be brought back manually to DTS mode unless the disks were removed and re-inserted into the drives. This happened twice, once on me, and today it happened to the owner when he was acting like a projectionist.

The DTS is reading the time code as observed on the status window, and has nice bright steady green light on the reader head.

Bad drive? Bad disks? (DTS-AD unit.)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model DTS player?

Is it a new player or been in service for a while?

Try moving the discs to different drives and see if the problem follows the disc or the drive. The SYSTEM light must be blinking or the DTS player will never play.

Be sure no audio cues are added to the film within timecode = that will screw us up.

Make sure automation does not switch us out by mistake. The DTS player sends one pluse to the CP to go to the DTS format. It does not poll the CP to see what format it is in.

Make sure to not cut off timecode at the beginning or at the end when splicing film together. If using leader, be sure to add in only black leader (that does not have timecode) doing otherwise can cause the DTS player to misplay.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Karen. I will verify your suggestions. It is a DTS6-AD unit. About 1 year old.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2001 09:33 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I had pretty the same problem with Monsters Inc. Ended up being a bad disc. Technicolor replace within 2 days, problem went away. Good luck.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2001 09:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity and for further clarification, is there anything (policy or sound logo) in between the attached trailer and the feature? Are there any cues, and where are they placed (beginning of policy, end of policy, etc)? It sounds to me like a drive is dying or there is an automation cue right at the point where the dts unit would normally pulse the processor to dts.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2001 11:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it only did it twice. Once on Sunday, and once yesterday. Nothing else has changed, as far as previews or anything like that. It did not do it today, it functioned normally.

I'll have to check the unit (probably Saturday) and see what kind of drives are in that thing, as it is an older DTS6-AD unit.

I might use Karen's trick she discribed, and force the disks to run. Except for the two glitches, the DTS unit has been running almost perfectly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-13-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I miss something? Where did Karen tell of a way to "force the discs to run"???

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2001 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it was in the tread "Tricking A DTS Unit"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-13-2001 03:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that trick Karen told us of in the other thread won't help you determine the cause of your problem because it is forcing the discs to play without running film. (Unless I am still missing something.) Moving the discs around between drives and checking on your automation cues are definitely the first thing to try.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 11:44 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Since it is a DTS-6AD, then please check the VERSIONS screen. If you have anything lower than:

CPU Version 1.06
DSP Controller 1.03
DSP Firmware 1.10

(CPU being the most important for your probl;em). Please let me know and I'll send you a free system upgrade disc. There was an bug on old 6AD software that would not allow the feature to play in DTS after trailers played in DTS.

If you do need the disc, please send me an email with shipping address and I'll send the disc.

Thanks, Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2001 06:44 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Brad.

Oh, I don't know....if I can force it to run using Karen's method, maybe I can determine if I have a bad drive or disk, hopefully. It is just a shot in the dark.

I have the theater owner checking what version of firmware is in that unit now.

Paul

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 09:10 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HMMM

"My" Potter drops out constantly the last 10 min's before intermission ( = last 10 mins of reel 5) - every second or so show !!
Timecode reader blinks all wild.
Same print - other screen - no trouble. -But it's this now and then business that confuses me.... Some shows running off platter, some off tower - and that's not the answer..

-------
Something quite different: Brad, if Your watching here. -You started helping me some few days ago with SRD beep-question - but now the topic has disappeared. -Would have liked to read Your wise words. -Topics normally doesn't go away like dts sound , do they...

(sorry, Karen - just kidding - i think You know how much i appreciate DTS)

Per

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2001 11:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, we are obsolete. Ours is CPU-1.04, DSP Controller 1.03, and DSP Firmware is 1.09.

I'll email you as to our shipping address.

Thank you.

Paul

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-14-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Per - Your other topic is down on page 2 right now.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2001 12:54 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,

If one reel is having problems in one theater and not another - then it sounds to me that the reader is in need of recalibration.

You can try to turn the lateral adjustment on the reader (in the middle of the largest roller). Be careful when doing this though, you do not want to calibrate for one feature only to mess up the readibility of the next. The current readers have a "DO NOT REMOVE" sticker on them. This was done because we changed the design of the reader so that the len's slit was exactly the width of the alotted timecode area on the film. It is factory adjusted for that space. If the slit moves too far one way - it will hit picture, and if it is moved too far the other way - it will hit soundtrack. Either way, it will saturate the signal and you'll get drop-outs.

The green light on the reader should be bright and steady. It should not blinking "wildly" (as you menitoned it did for you). A blinking green LED is an unhappy LED. Keep your LED happy! ;-)

Seriously, though, a blinking LED is telling you something is wrong. Try adjusting the reader's lateral adjustment first. If that does not work and all films are having timecode reading problems (on this reader), then do a repair/exchange on the reader. If you choose to do this, contact your local DTS dealer.

Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: