Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS switchback to SR at end of feature

Author Topic: DTS switchback to SR at end of feature
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2001 01:28 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On some of my DTS features when the last cue goes by and the system is supposed to revert to non-sync it instead reverts to SR. Will using blank leader without timecode solve this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-14-2001 03:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing you are using Ultra*Stereo processors and CFS automations with your DTS units. (this is a very common problem with this combination of equipment, and also happens with DA20s and USL processors as well).

What is happening is the inboard (end show) vue is being executed by your automation before the timecode drops, and when timecode finally quits, the DTS player thinks it has failed and reverts to analog (pulsing your cinema processor into SR mode in the process)

The quick fix is to add an extra 'inboard' cue about a foot or so from the physical end of the film, this will force the processor back into non-sync mode.

-Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attach a 25' long piece of junk film (without timecode) to the end of the feature. Rather than putting the cue on the feature, the end cue is at the beginning of the junk film. This has several benefits...the system winds up in non-sync every time; I save cue tape; and most importantly, the tail end of the feature is protected from dragging on the floor.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 12:57 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

The fallback depends on the vintage player you have.

If you have a DTS-6D (3-drives), the discs determine the fallback and are programmed to go go NONSYNC at show end.

If you have a DTS-6 (2-drives), the DTS logic breakout board determines the fallback. In this case, you will need to add an automation cue at show end to go to NONSYNC. Be sure you have the current breadout boards that will not over-ride the cue and send the CP back to SR (or A-Type).

Be sure no sound cues are added to the film withing timecode. If you are going to add a cue, add it in black leader.

Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: