Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard...How 'bout it, Brad!

Author Topic: Film Guard...How 'bout it, Brad!
Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 01:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm missing something, but I found the gallon size cans of Film Guard to be very convenient. Mark at GTS tells me that they've been discontinued. It seems like a waste to have to buy new bottles and sprayers every time, and the quarts don't last all that long. Any chance of bringing back the gallons?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2001 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No. There were only 6 I believe "gallons" made and they were made specifically for GTS because of a special situation. A while back there was a dealer who was rebottling the 32oz FilmGuard into 8oz bottles and distributing it without instructions, rewind cores or sprayers UNDER THEIR OWN NAME! Even though they only sold a dozen or so bottles like that, it caused me a ton of grief. People actually thought that little 8oz bottle was what they were SUPPOSED to be buying, and then they got the bottle in had NO IDEA how to use it. Needless to say, the theaters were misusing the product and were very put off on it due to not knowing how to apply it and having nothing to dispense the product with (sprayers). I did end up making good with everyone who bought those rip off bottles by sending them full sized kits at my cost, for of course this super classy dealer was in no way going to admit their fault in the matter...of which it was entirely theirs. (You will also notice a seal on all FilmGuard boxes nowadays to prevent tampering.)

That dealer is no longer permitted to stock our products. The authorized dealer list is here on the site under "film cleaning." (Any authorized dealer who is not on the list for whatever reason, please email me so I can add you.) As to who the dealer is I do not feel it is something that needs to be brought out into the public, but if you run across a dealer bashing the product, you've in all probability just found them, for they can no longer stock and sell the product and must convince you that you need to be buying one of their other knockoff rebottled items.

Anyway, after that incident I have no further desire to ship out FilmGuard in any other container. I can assure you the extra items in the kit does not raise the cost enough to make a difference. (Also, upon looking back at that special gallon size order last year, I accidentally underpriced them anyway, so the price would not be that if it was sold today in gallon containers. Besides, who wants to keep going to the gallon can to keep refilling the spray bottles???)

On a completely separate note, why wouldn't you want the FilmGuard bottles? Besides being convenient, they are valuable from time to time as "proof of purchase" for giveaways.

(Plus, the pricing on those gallons was a mistake and they left here partially donated, if you know what I mean.)

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 03:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the unscrupulous dealer, Brad. It's not that I DON"T want the bottles, and I do dispense the product from them, it's just that the underpriced gallon was more cost effective! Well, now that I know that was accidental I guess the case is closed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
The two main reasons for the Film-Guard in Gallons is that we have a customer that uses it directly from the gallon can. They have an RTI film inspection machine that is used for cleaning and checking 16mm films. The film cleaning machine pumps it right out of the can into the cleaning pads. In doing so they have alot less scratchges than they were getting by using regular Neumade stuff, plus there is not an evaporation issue either. In this case it just makes plain sense. We also have another user that is a Video Transfer House that also is using it straight form the can although I'm not familiar with how they are doing it.
Mark @ GTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2001 05:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, this can be continued off of the forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: