Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film, DLP ,home theater....about face!

Author Topic: Film, DLP ,home theater....about face!
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 10:20 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

Great forum!

I am the owner of a high end HT business. Internet based. We deal in the ultra high end and cater to an elite clientele across the country.
We sell and install 3 chip dlps and 80K Teranex processors in client's homes.( I even got a chance to play with the Panasonic D cinema 100K unit)100K ouch
We also have a forum with some of the best talent in our industry.

While my business is based on electronic display my hobby is FILM and I have my own 35mm screening room. Ahhh film, nothing like it.
I do not post here to often but this is by far my favorite forum.
You guys rule.

Its not to often my customers give in to film. Most of the time they
are complaining about a bad experience at their local theater and how their HT system rivals the commercial theater experience on all levels. ( Ill let them believe this, it keeps me in business)
This is why I found this thread so interesting. Some of the guys had a chance to view the digital screening of Oceans Eleven while at the same time checking out the film version accross the hall.

Ahhh what an eye opener. Check this out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100329

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-19-2001 01:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes your clientele "elite"? The fact that they have lots of money?

I started to read the linked forum thread, but whoever is responsible for that site simply could not have picked a worse color scheme. I was getting a headache and closed the forum window as quickly as I could. What an ugly site!

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 05:21 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it interesting that some dodo who claims to be an expert is blaming film grain on the projector lens! I mean, GRAIN is GRAIN. It's either there or it ain't! As far as I'm concerned, your lens isn't worth dog poop if you CAN'T focus down to the grain level of sharpness. The grain, after all, is what carries the image information.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-19-2001 06:03 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film is simply the best for quality, hands down. But, (and this is a very big, huge "but") most people can't get prints. So video is actually the best choice for 99.9999% of the people. Especially since most of those would probably find threading a 35mm projector too hard.

Generally, I thought the comments made by the forum members were reasonable, (and pro-film) considering most of them do not know all the little details of motion picture projection. Most seem to simply affirm what we already know; poorly trained operators are the problem.

I have been lucky enough to have worked on two high-end 35mm screening rooms in private residences (and with more luck, a third soon.) One with a full 8-channel SDDS system and SR-D. The picture quality really is wonderful; better than Barcos or those "Roadmasters."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: