Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Godfather Interval

Author Topic: The Godfather Interval
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My venu might be showing this at some point if its avaliable. It's around 175min and 9 reels.

I run tower projection can anyone recomend as to the end of which reel to have the interval? thanks

also will it be ok to show in 1:85:1
or 1:66

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've shown it in 1.85 and it looked quite good, but I can't think of the best spot for an intermission.Can it not all be squeezed onto one reel?

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 11:31 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had intermissions last year for Gladiator and The Patriot, which are films of a similar length. Thanks for the info anyway Joe much appriciated.

At our venu since we have side masking it would be advantageous for us to present the film in a 1:85:1 aspect ratio rather than a 1:66:1 ratio.

Since we are a student venu which has to compete with multiplex cinemas - the larger the screen size we can offer the better.

but:
I am proud that as a cinema we have the ability to project flat films at a 1:66:1 ratio if needed.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 01:53 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, sounds like you and I have a similar work situation. I too am proud that we can show 1.66 as well as full frame silent at speeds ranging from 16-24 fps. Here I run changeover, but we have a double mut in case of a breakdown.

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ,Ran this picture originaly with 'Towers' If I remember correctly we had screened the picture beforehand and we put the intermission just as the scene changes from Marlon Brando being told that Michael was safe, at this point the picture moves to Sicily where Michael is in exile.I figure it's about 1 1/2 hours into the film ,not at the end of a particular reel. Tom
ps. (no sacrilege) screen the film in video beforehand(if you cannot get the print early enough) time where this scene is then calculate aprox. what reel this happens on.

------------------

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALSO (sorry,I forgot to mention)
The last time we ran it a couple of years ago, Paramount had redone the sound with a Dolby Digital track with some stereo effects ,actualy pretty good!
Tom

------------------

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-05-2002 06:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, the 1997 reissue prints are hard-matted 1.85 and DTS/Dolby SRD sound.

-Aaron

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 06:52 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, how did you fix your Godfather dilema? everything went well?

------------------

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2002 05:50 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still not had it yet. If we end up getting a print then it will probably be February.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had it tonight. Just finished about 45 minutes or so ago.

I didn't get one of the re-issue prints that Arron has talked about. it was an original print.

10 reels
mono

I had the intermission at the end of reel 5. And it turns out the end of reel 5 was the intermission place Tom spoke about. At the end of reel 5 Michael shoots the guy in the restaurant. Then in reel 6 he is in Sicily.

A bit of a splicy print. Ran ok. But i did have one break (right in the middle of the credits when my audience has just left. phew )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: