Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » boom mics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: boom mics
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again. I have problems sometimes with the boom mics showing on my screens. I have the right lenses on, is this a problem, with the apature keys, or something else I'm not getting? Most of my projectors don't have keys, just tape on the port glass. I just got this theatre a few months ago, and am trying to redo everything, the equipment is ok, but the theatre was built in 1926-, and now has 2 upstairs screens crammed in where the balchony used to be-

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking strictly from the audience viewpoint, having a boom mic appear at the top of the screen is a very bad thing. Totally ruins the "movie magic" thing for me. This happened in Jurassic Park at the local Cinemark dollar theater -- was mis-framed. I reported it and they fixed it.

Seems like it could be a simple framing issue, or aperture not right. Someone here will have a better answer for you. But you should try to fix it if you can!

------------------
- dave
Stay away from the meadow...

Ben Stephenson
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for Ben Stephenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a few films with the not so discreet BOOM MIC but the framing is right, may be cheap film making

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, if this is only happening on "flat" films, you do not have the framing centered. Remember, just because you don't see a frame line does NOT mean that a flat film is properly in frame. Tweek it on a green band for a quick and dirty fix.

I wish the labs would at least hard matte the first reel of movies to help keep presentations as a whole in frame.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered some (but not all) of the flat movies can slightly be mis-framed (if needed) to hide the microphone without too much trouble. On rare occasion, I have done that.

I agree it is poor editing if a boom microphone or any other scene rigging detail shows up anywhere in the frame.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually editing has nothing to do with it they can't remove it once it is there. It is sloppy boom operators they are supposed to keep out of the cinematographers frame

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does hard matte mean?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-27-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard matting a flat film refers to blacking out the portion of the frame that is not supposed to be projected.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Most of my projectors don't have keys, just tape on the port glass."

Aperture plates aren't all that expensive. You might want to invest in a loop of test film and a few plates. Filing them to size can be tedious, but properly cut plates will eliminate much of the problem.

I don't notice a dedicated manual to filing plates in the tips section. Perhaps someone could do a basic write-up and point out how to avoid the obvious problems - cracked lenses, filings in the works, overcutting, improper alignment, etc.

Alternately, a good tech can do the job of aligning and making plates right in a quarter of the time.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Gordon. I used the wrong word. Sorry about that.

Maybe I should have said, "A crew paying inattention to insignificant minor details, in other words, screw-up's by the gross......."

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could there be a problem such as showing Flat(1.85:1) Films in a wrong 1.66:1 or even academy ratio. Josh what aspect ratio do you project flat films at?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-27-2002 05:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is on to it.... Because the release film format is defined as 1.85/1.66 and the 35mm frame is much higher, you will see all sorts of things on the top and bottom of a mis-framed image. It is sloppy cinematography when a mic or some crew member shows up inside the matt of a properly framed image...and there are several.

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that can really screw you up here is that if the film is a true 1.85 ratio, and the boom mic still shows on the screen, you are basically screwed. If the 1.85 is racked correctly and you purposely mis-framed just a small amount, it would look like crap with a black bar showing on the bottom of the screen.

What really adds insult to injury is that I have seen many flat prints use a combination of 1.66 and 1.85 frames. If you catch a boom mike or some other back-drop rigging in the picture in a 1.66 ratio, you can "tune it out" with the frame knob. But if the next scene comes along and has the big fat 1.85 frame lines, you are simply out of luck.

Same holds true with 2.35 prints, unfortunately. You can't mis-frame to cover those up without the audience howling.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 08:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would a director or DP *choose* to shoot full-frame and then print without a hard matte? Is it considered a non-issue because proper framing takes care of it in the projector? Seems like it would be easy to use a hard matte when the prints are made and not have to worry about framing issues. I was pretty surprised to see that boom mic in Jurassic Park. Why not hard matte and be done with it? Enquiring minds want to know.

------------------
- dave
Stay away from the meadow...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2002 09:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I sometimes think it has something to do with how many martoonies they had. And, the number of boom microphones you see in the movie is probably directly proportional to the number of the martoonies that were consumed.....

But seriously, I just wish the 1.85 format would ride off into the setting sun. It has served its purpose very nicely since it was introduced (I believe I have been told) to compete with smellivision.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: