Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange DTS Problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strange DTS Problem
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an excerpt form one of my customers e-mails regarding this.

"Well... we are having problems with it again! We previewed it
> Thursday in DTS and it sounded fine, but today for some reason it just
> sounds like rumble. I tried to switch it back to stereo and it wouldn't
> let me until I completely turned off the DTS. I believe the disks are
> fine, since nobody has touched them and it played fine for the last
> couple of days. Anyway thought you would love to hear that."

Could this be the DC convertor failing? The unit has just recently had the upgrade kit installed in it too. Or just bad disks?
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

"Sounds like rumble" That's odd! The only time I've ever heard that complaint is when the film plays in analog and the sound head picks up the timecode track. Other than that, I've never heard of "rumble" (unless the DTS subwoofer is too adjusted too high).

Are they getting dialogue when in DTS?

The other thing that concerns me is the DTS unit locking up the CP. Obviously, it should not do that. You should be able to push and enable any format button when the DTS is on.

Is this on a DTS-6D? If yes, they could have a bad D536 board.

Please send me an email so we can discuss this further.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Karen,
Yes, its a 6D that just had the upgrade done to it. The film is Spy Games.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.....
Mark @ GTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 02:08 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I am looking forward to your email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-31-2002 10:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a "rumble" or a "buzz"? Does it sound like a 30HZ buzz?

I have has the 30hz buzz thing happen on several units, and all of them were shipped back to DTS for repair.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The problem you described is NOT a disc issue. Please send me an email so we can discuss it further.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-19-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This turned out to be a bad time code reader.
Mark @ GTS www.getgts.com

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-19-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, then how did a bad TC reader prevent them from changing formats on the CP?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-19-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he replaced the reader with a cat701 and and a 650 and the problem went away

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-19-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Actually a Sony DFP-2000!

Well as it turns out they didn't have a clue as to what was really up with the thing. The LED was flickering and causing the TC to come in to the processor intermittently. You should have heard what it sounded like!! Realy wierd.
And this at a theatre that I just removed the framing intermedeiate gears from in the X-L's. Now that have to frame em up right. I'll put them back on Saturday before I leave though.
Mark @ GTS www.getgts.com

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-20-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw...give them the Disney (no-framing) version of the Ballantyne.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Framing controls are for amateur projectionists. No professional operator needs them.

Mark, just last week I came across a dts unit that was doing all sorts of weird things like you described. It was finally tracked down to a faulty crossover card, of all things. The card would oscillate and throw the amplifier into clipping, which (I am assuming) caused AC line fluctuation of some sort and wreaked havoc on the dts player. After the card was changed out, the dts player returned to normal.

(Thanks to Karen for sending me firmware updates that were needed anyway.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Weremoved one of the framing gears today!! You shoulda been there.
We decided for now to remove one at each site up here in Idaho and see if they learn it correctly.
That was a really wierd problem with the x-over cards. I know that Edwards went through a spell with bad x-overs that were blowing HF drivers all the time.
Mark @ GTS

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much on the same topic.

I had a DTS unit start making a 'buzzing' sound yesterday, much like a sticking contactor makes. The buzzing was very loud in the auditorium and was fixed by selecting analog sound.

It was 40 minutes into a feature that had played with the same discs for 2 weeks.

This is the first time this has happened and tech support suggested that I put a surge protector on the unit, to which I have.

Has anyone had this fault? Could a faulty ROM drive cause this?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-15-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, in my case it was the DSP board.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: