Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MN Projectionist for hire (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MN Projectionist for hire
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know of any theaters in the Minneapolis metro area that is currently looking for a projectionist?
I just left the Lakeville Theatre for personal reasons, and I would like to keep working in a booth, preferrably in the south metro area.

I have extensive experience with Century Projectors, Speco Platters, all aspects of Sound upkeep and film cleaning; as well as 2 years, nine months of floor experience.

If there's no booth jobs out there, I could consider a supervisory or assistant management position too.

Let me know if any MN people know about any possibilities.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:46 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! Ive been looking far longer than you... there arent any unless you want to drive forever away. actually if you check out the cheap theatre in apple valley they are always looking for staff.
952-432-2514, but dont say i told you the number...
ask for mike black.
thats all i know of, they have an opening because i quit being the booth manager.
--kristin

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a feeling it would be that way. Marcus Rosemount has 2 floor staff openings, or so their box people say. I'm considering working the floor, but the booth is really my natural place.

Tim emailed me & said Megastar Southdale could be looking for someone. It's a drive from Lakeville, but I'd be up to it if the wage compensated for the gas.

GCC Mall of America may be an option too, I'm heading up there on Sunday to find out.

Anybody know the number for Southdale?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-09-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for MegaStar Cinemas. One of our guys here wasn't treated too well by those bozos. Do a search for "MegaStar" and you'll find it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-09-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Marcus Theaters as a very good company. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time i was at GC Mall Of America it was union operated. But this was back in 98 so things might have changed due to GC's financial problems.

Glenn

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2002 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus doesn't hire projectionists anymore either. Oddly though they have a contract with Local 110 in Chicago while all the other Chicago chains have pretty much gotten rid of 110.
Mark @ GTS

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 09:30 AM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Last time i was at GC Mall Of America it was union operated." Nope, not any more. I only know of one union job left in town. Steve, you should just start knocking on doors. I think there is a lack of good operators around and if you show you know your way around a booth many theatres will jump at hiring you. Of course, most theatres have their operators manage or assume other duties within the theatre so strictly booth positions may be hard to come by.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I think a call to the union there might be worth while. This is their slower season, but they might be able to get you in somewhere. I spoke to someone their a while back and they told me to give them a call when I got into the twin cities (I am moving there in a couple months) and they might be able to find something for me. Also, if you need work, you might be able to do some stagehand work with them as well, setting up for concerts and what not. That would get your foot in the door with them and let them get to know who you are.

I do agree with Barry though. Someone with experience would be a great asset to a theater, and someone will eventually take notice.

As Brad said, make sure you find that Megastar thread before signing on to work with them. They don't seem to want their employees to aspire to do good work.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We (Crown Theaters) are building a theater in the Minneapolis area (right now the plans are for a 16-plex, but it could change.) It will be located on E Ave. which is part of an urban development project. (Translation: The city planners have finally decided to fix up the area.)

It is not planned to open until August 2002, so it's a bit early. We are also still in the planning stages of how it will be managed and operated, but with theaters this large we have always had 2-3 regular full time projectionists. I do not know what the pay will be.

I've seen the plans; currently all projectors are all in one big "room," not on multiple floors. While anything could change, currently the equipment will be Big Sky platters, Kintone KP60D projectors, mostly CP650's, 2 or 4 SDDS 3000's (full 8 channel,) Xetron consoles with the CineQ automation.

Email me if anyone is interested (friends of Film-Tech especially welcome!)

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megastar does not have a listed number, only a moviefone deal. Sincere good luck if you apply there, I am just passing on the latest Megastar experiences since the removal of post fiasco here on this site before it opened.
The first time I went there, it was to see Oceans 11, it was a Friday night and we were literally let into the theatre as the previews started. People were grumbling and I mentioned to a manager that you should have more time between shows and he said, "Oh it's not that far to walk to the movie from the lobby." (huh) Then the print had lines down the screen during what part of the movie we stayed for before bailing. Maybe if you work there, you can improve things.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 05:57 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody; I've received several emails asking about the theater we are building.. give me a just few hours to get back to everyone!

One thing I should add; We do much of the installation ourselves, and the extra personal required has already been contracted out.

In the meantime, this is our company web site. It has the usual propraganda, but but is fairly honest and might be interesting reading.
http://www.crowntheatres.com/

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick responses and insights everybody,

I had my doubts about megastar too, and I think the costs in driving there during rush hour won't make things any easier.
Marcus did look like a good company, they said they start off everybody on the floor unfortunately. Kristin, do you know about this, didn't you used to work at in Rosemount?

I saw The One a few months back there & the presentation was fair, but not spectacular. I thought I saw a simplex or century type projector, which I worked with in Lakeville.

As for the stage work, I already am employed by a teacher at my high school to run their sound & lighting for plays, presentation etc. That's a good job, but it's periodic and some jobs are voulunteer only.

I've heard mixed things about Regal in Eagan too, what's the word on them hiring?

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--
I live in Rosemount and I know pretty much the entire staff there, I know that they don't hire for projectionist. At one point I had thought about working there even though I had already left that company at a different location, because I wanted to be their projectionist and I was going to do so through their city manager. But then I was lazy and didnt.
I work in Eagan, and we are hiring, but the stack of applications is so big, about three inches high, so good luck! E-mail, me for anything else.

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve!!

Word of advise; never give a way that you left a past employment because of personal reasons. There are too many presumptive people in this world and raeding your post might now never consider you simply because of those words "personal problems." It just leaves a negative impression and most people don't like personal problems. At the very different try to be a little more less honest <be more discriet> regarding those issues and imply next time that you have "moved on" or are looking for a new chanllenge. And certainly don't put "personal problems" on any resume. I'm assuming you know this as a given!

Rory

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: