Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UK Print Delivery Problems (Securicor) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: UK Print Delivery Problems (Securicor)
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen the following in 'Cinemascope' (the British Film Institute's newsletter for exhibitors):

quote:
Brian Walters, BFI Programme Unit writes:

There have been serious problems with the level of service provided by Securicor, and since John Badham left these problems seem to have worsened. On 18 October Christine Woodhouse [BFI bookings], Phil Hills and Lorraine Salter [BFI print despatch] and myself had a meeting with Stephen Howard, a Development Manager at Securicor.

Stephen acknowledged that there had been some problems and plans to visit a number of organisations to get an idea of what people feel needs to be done. He hopes to start work on getting a system in place where film boxes can easily be identified by drivers and therefore improve the level of service.

We have not as yet had a follow up meeting but hope to have one later this year. Up to now though, nothing has improved.

The CEA [Cinema Exhibitors' Association - UK representative organisation for theatres] has sent out 'print report sheets' to cinemas, which are to be filled out when prints are not delivered on time. These should be sent to John Wilkinson at the CEA, who is liaising with distributors, and to Lisa Doherty, who handles complaints, at:

Securicor Cinema Department
Sutton Park House
15 Carshalton Road
Sutton
Surrey
SM1 4LE

I hope to have a meeting soon with Stephen Howard and am also keen to invite Lisa Doherty and Emma Roberts from the Securicor Cinema Department. There is no adequate system in place whereby cinemas can get compensation for prints not being delivered in time for a screening, an issue we are keen to raise at the meeting. This needs to be rectified as soon as possible so Securicor realsise just how much their poor service is costing cinemas. I'll keep you informed of further developments.

I wonder what this 'system' for enabling Securicor's drivers to spot the film boxes will be? Teaching them to read?!

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 03:55 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo

You really know how to start my week !

In our office we try not to use "The "S" word" before the third cup of coffee!

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 06:33 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,
I havn't seen any of these report sheets yet!
If securicor are delivering them, Dick will probably have mine in Bradford!

Darren.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Darren:

Maybe we could make life easier for them by producing a 'how to identify a film' chart which could be stuck on the dashboard of every Securicor van. It would have a life-size picture of one of the green boxes from hell with an arrow pointing out where the label goes...

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 07:42 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generall we dont have any problems with securicor. Only very occasionally some ads might not turn up ect... This week for example.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 07:54 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

You only don't have problems with them because you are a single screen, showing a small number of films per week. Take the number of times they mess you around, multiply it by the number of screens and different features shown at your local multiplex and you'll soon see why wrong/late/missing deliveries are a huge and potentially expensive problem for cinemas. Ok this analogy isn't statistically perfect, but you see my point?

Every cinema I visit tells me that Securicor is the worst thing that ever happened to film transport in the UK.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 08:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I'd guess that Michael doesn't get that many films on crossover, i.e. most of them come straight from Perivale. In my experience, the worst problems were with short-run arthouse titles where a small number of prints were being constantly crossed over against tight deadlines - that was when Securicor really cocked up, time and time again. It didn't matter how many times the despatching and receiving cinema, or the distributor, rang them up to confirm the arrangements beforehand, films which arrived in time for the first show were the exception which proved the rule.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, I'd forgotten all about cross-overs! AKA how to lose a print, and cause the receiving cinema to lose a show! Invariably crossed over prints were only on once, so you'd miss the screening, which doesn't do your reputation any good at all. Often if it was an 'in town' cross over we'd do it ourselves, either in someones car or by taxi, or very occasionally someone got sent on a bus trip with film boxes in hand.

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we've had a couple of problems where prints we've had have meant to be going on a crossover the day after we've shown them, but we've been told complete nonsense by the securicor people...

They would have been made down, except for the fact that we actually phoned Securicor, asked them if they were on crossover and needing to be picked up that day, they'd say "no, just going back to Perivale" so they might not be done straight away, and so would follow a nasty phone call from whichever cinema asking where the heck their print was!

But hey, all those taxi trips get you the opportunity for a free bitching session about Securicor when you get to the other cinema What I think I'll be buying our driver for his birthday though is an A-Z - once he manages to figure out which cinemas are where in York it'll be a start at least!

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must stick up for Jerry the driver who comes to City Screen anyway, He seems to at least care about if we get the films in time for us to show them, and does all he can to come before 10am.
As for the drivers who come for films on cross over on a thursday night, we have one who often send's his dad to pick the films up!
Must say securicor are better than Express Parcel Management who sometimes bring me films.
Darren.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 03:38 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the UK distributors are supposedly dropping Securicor completely in favour of Express Parcel Management .
Does anyone have a list of these?

Our first,knowing,run in with EPM was the other week when they called me on a Thursday to set up a crossover for the print of The Hired Hand. Our last show was on Monday 8.15pm and they asked that it be left out for 9am collection the following morning.The confusing thing about this is that we usually get crossover requests from the distributor not the transport company. They eventually picked it up around 2.30pm.No documentation or receipt. Then 2 days later they sent another driver in to pick up the same print plus two others we have never seen to crossover to Sheffield Showroom for Friday!

One of the other recent horrors was during RLFF on tour when we had numerous crossovers. One print which was a 9am pickup from Tyneside for sameday to us for 6pm screening was picked up by Securicor despite being labelled for another carrier (Epic?). As there was a) no collection request with a consignment number and b) not entered in the Film transport book it was swallowed up by the Securicor sytem and eventually spat out TWO MONTHS later at Berkhamsted.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 06:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Darren - the problem does not lie with Gerry or any individual working for Securicor - it's the failure rate of the system as a whole that's the issue.

As for crossover drivers not providing receipts, I eventually printed out my own receipt slips which had boxes for the film title, print number, destination cinema (full address), time and date of collection and full name/company of person collecting. I wouldn't release a print without either the Securicor generated paperwork (e.g. an entry in the Perivale book or one of their separate consignment slips) or one of my own slips. At least if the film did then get lost, we had the paperwork to prove that it wasn't us who lost it.

BTW, Darren, is City Screen still keeping its head above water? When I walked over Lendal Bridge going to the station this morning, the walkway on the north bank between Lendal and Scarborough bridges was already under a foot of water, but the level looked like it was still 3-4 feet above the City Screen basement windows. But Radio York said that a 'surge' was due down the Ouse at around midday. Did you survive?

Michael Hunt
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 10:05 AM      Profile for Michael Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting thread to come across today...

I'm waiting for Securicor to deliver a copy of a Bollywood feature 'Pitaah' for screening tonight and tomorrow at 6.30pm...

Its nearly 4pm, and despite calls to the distributor and the local Securicor depot the print still hasn't arrived, but they've kindly informed me that 'its definately on its way'

If it doesn't arrive soon I'm probably going to have to show Harry Potter instead...

on the subject of crossovers, I get a few of them, usually arthouse material, and crossover or not, always break down the feature and box it up following its last screening, and then leave it out labelled up for the next cinema if I've been informed where its going...

Recently Securicor have collected prints labelled for crossover early the next morning, when they've made a film delivery, and have then come in before lunchtime to collect it again, usually with a comment of 'They've been told not to collect those sort of films...'

for example, we finish with 'The Piano Teacher' this Thursday, for crossover to the Ultimate Picture Palace in Oxford, playing the 19th Feb (Thank you for the info Artificial Eye, you're one of the few film distributors that bother to tell cinemas about crossovers)
The print will be ready for pick up after midnite, and I expect that it will have been collected Friday morning with next weeks deliveries...

no doubt I'll get yet another second visit...

------------------
There must be more to life than Film and Rugby...

Gwan Glawster!!!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 10:41 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael said"I'm waiting for Securicor to deliver a copy of a Bollywood feature 'Pitaah' for screening tonight and tomorrow at 6.30pm...

If it doesn't arrive soon I'm probably going to have to show Harry Potter instead..."

Just call it "Hairy Pitaah"

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I eventually printed out my own receipt slips which had boxes for the film title, print number, destination cinema (full address), time and date of collection and full name/company of person collecting."

Do you think it might be worth sending these to Securicor and suggest that they implement it or something similar - or maybe just change the current film transport books to include All shippings - including crossovers and BFI prints etc.. which don't go to Perivale/Glasgow.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: