Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp and geometry problem

Author Topic: Lamp and geometry problem
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 06:30 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to everyone.

Someone will remeber the lamp problem that I had in one theater with lamp alignment and power (4000W at 105A). At that time I posted the following picture to explain how the lamphouse has been aligned.

Now, the lamp has been replaced with a 3k one. I went to the theater with my colleague to check the cinemeccanica's alignment and I found the following problems:

1. The "focus" leverage on the lamphouse is at the end of its range. I have a good uniformity on the screen but I think that can be better
2. The vertical alignement works only in one way; I cannot align the lamp way up.

I believe that the adapter installed on the 3k to match the 4k plug has move too far the lamp itself. What can I do without the "help" of Cinemeccanica?? The problem the photo is explaining is still there...
The projector is a Vic5 in a consolle.

More: the screen is very big (15meters, 49.21 feet) and too near the projector (I think no more than 68 feet, 21 meters).
The geometry of Cinemascope is very bad. I tried to rise the frame up and down to see the frameline: they appeares like this draw:

Lenses are made by ISCO (I'll check the model).

What can I do to increase the picture quality???

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a job for
The
Align-O-Tron!

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 10:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the adjustment for focus is at the ned of its travel it may need an adapter on the end of the lamp to lengthen it or one removed to make it shorter so there is some range to travel

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so to align the lamp I definitly need a laser tool. I must call Cinemaccanica...

What about the geometry issue?

Bye
Antonio

Jack Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 04:18 PM      Profile for Jack Johnston   Email Jack Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The adapter on the negative (cathode) end of the xenon bulb for a 4kW is shorter than for a 3kW...hence, you will require the appropriate adapter from Cinemeccanica. Part number for a 3kW adapter is DO2724 and should be available from stock. Do this and your "problem" is solved. Ciao!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 05:13 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Noone answered to my geometry problem.

Since I'm facing the problem with my manager, I would like to have your opinions!
Let me update to the situation.

That theater definitely has the lamp/lamphouse/lenses in a very very bad alignement.
I hope that my manager provide me a laser alignement to correct it, I now have few feet of 35PA to check the scope but...

Yesterday night I was at that theater to see "collateral damage" that is in 1.85:1.
Before the show I saw the trailer of "Killing me soflty" that, in Italy, has few black words on a white background.
I have that trailer at my cinema too and I always saw that words fucosed perfectly. Yesterday night I saw that words out of focus but, better, with a strange "halo" surrounding them. It was just for few moments but perhaps I saw a red halo surrounding the words...
I went under my screen (since in that theater the screen is very big and the room is not so long...) and I confirmed that the words are perfectly focused.

I also noted that the geometry problem is still there also in 1.85:1 (not so viewable as in 2.39).

So my questions are:

1. Can be the lamp/lamphouse/projector/lenses alignement affect the quality of the image or just the quality of the light?
2. WHY that lenses are deforming the images?????? The screen is completely FLAT, but the projector is not in the absolute center of it, is slighty shifted, not too much. Lenses are made by ISCO.

I will try to remove the booth/auditorium glass since I believe that it is not a quality glass. Parhaps that is the problem.

In the meantime I will appreciate any suggestions!

Bye
Antonio

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2. WHY that lenses are deforming the images?????? The screen is completely FLAT, but the projector is not in the absolute center of it, is slighty shifted, not too much. Lenses are made by ISCO.

Lens design is a science, and I wish we had a film-tech member who was involved in this. I'll give you my take on the subject, but if I am wrong I'll be happily corrected by a qualified representative from one of the lens companies.

What you are seeing is called pincushion distortion. The opposite type of distortion where lines curve outward is barrel distortion.

If the film in the projector was perfectly flat and the screen was perfectly flat, and the audience sat exactly in the "sweet spot," this would be an inexcusable flaw in the lens design. However, a projector lens has to be designed for a curved field, because the film in the gate isn't flat, but warped by heat (except in projectors like the Imax projectors.) Even worse, the lens designer can't be sure exactly how much the film will curve in the gate. Generally, the hotter the film, the more it curves. That means the lens designer must make compromises and assume certain things, like the film distortion caused by the most common lamp (2,000 watts), most common shutter, average humidity, average size of image in the aperture, and an average density of the film. In short, a good projecter lens is very specialized and must be much different than a good camera lens.

When an audience must sit too close to a screen, a little pincushion effect in the lens can be a good thing. It has the visual effect of compensating for the barrel distortion of the image caused by sitting too close to the screen. Certainly it is less noticable than barrel distortion, which can have the effect of seeing the image projected on a barrel or big ball. The amount of distortion you have drawn seems excessive. If the distortion is this much, it could be a design flaw in the lens.

The halo around the credits is called chromatic abberation, which simply means that all the colors don't focus in exactly the same spot. A perfect lens doesn't have it, but as I've said, projector lenses are not perfect, but compromises. Sometime chromatic abberation gets worse as a lens ages and coatings are lost or damaged from heat and light. (Oddly, I've been told that on the earliest camera lenses, chromatic aberration often diminished with age as pollution made a coating on the lenses.)

It sounds as though you might have lens problems, and it might be worthwhile to try some other lenses to compare.

One point this whole subject brings forward is that only focusing on the credits isn't the best policy. Credits are surrounded by very dense black which will absorb a maximum amount of light. This heat will physically distort the film more than the lighter scenes in the movie itself, changing the distance to the lens and increasing flutter. Depending on the difference, it could be a minor focus shift or a major one. On a lens with a small depth of field, this could be a focus problem seen by the audience.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not find another known good lens and replace the one in question to see if the problem is really with the lens. The lens you try doesn't have to be the exact size to do a focus test. Just purchased Mueller's laser alignment kit a few months ago and it's really worth the investment of a couple hundred dollars.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 02:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

I do not completely agree with you...

1. Geometry distortion: aperture plates on that projector has been worked to compensate the distortion on the screen (its shape is bended). Why my aperture plates, at my theater, are perfectly straight and boders on the screen are not bended? If you have a flat screen, I'd say that the projector would project the images straigh, not bended... let's suppose that the projector is not at the center of the screen: an hypotetic cube on the screen will became a trapezium, but not a sphere!!!
The amount of distortion I've drawed is real, I'm not exagerating.
I will try another lens, but I'm afraid that my lenses will make a too small picture on that screen to evaluate it.
2. Chromatic aberration: how many years can a lens be used without problems? Mine is in service since 8 years with no visible problems. That lenses are in service since 4 years but with bigger lamp (4k and now 3k, mine has a 2,5k).
3. Focus at credits: good tip, I never tought about that!

Greg,
Yes, I'll try another lens. Align-o-tron: I'm not the one that pay for these stuff, once my manager will be convinced about the usefulness of that tool, I will can align the lamp in the best way!

Bye
Antonio

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I do not completely agree with you..."

I have a hard time agreeing with myself sometimes. As, I said, it would be nice if a lens designer could set the record straight. I imagine many of the techs here know more about lenses than me. I just have a big mouth and like to use up Brad's bandwidth.

"1. Geometry distortion: aperture plates on that projector has been worked to compensate the distortion on the screen (its shape is bended)."

Most of the plates I've seen have minor distortions in them. I heard that Bob Maar cut one to look like a martini glass.

" Why my aperture plates, at my theater, are perfectly straight and borders on the screen are not bended? "

Probably you have a better lens.

"If you have a flat screen, I'd say that the projector would project the images straight, not bended... let's suppose that the projector is not at the center of the screen: an hypothetic cube on the screen will became a trapezium (trapazoid), but not a sphere!!!"

True. Here is what I mean by barrel distortion A square projected on the screen looks like it is projected on the bulge of a sphere.

"The amount of distortion I've drawed is real, I'm not exagerating.
I will try another lens, but I'm afraid that my lenses will make a too small picture on that screen to evaluate it."

I think you will see a noticable lack of distortion with a different lens.

"2. Chromatic aberration: how many years can a lens be used without problems? Mine is in service since 8 years with no visible problems. That lenses are in service since 4 years but with bigger lamp (4k and now 3k, mine has a 2,5k)."

I don't know. I've seen new lenses ruined by running a projector without any film in the gate. The current crop of lenses may not be affected as much. If different glass is used to get the same effect as a coating, it may not be damaged as much by overheating or age. You are getting beyond what I know.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Why my aperture plates, at my theater, are perfectly straight and borders on the screen are not bended? "

Probably you have a better lens.
---
Same lenses. ISCO ones, blu series.
---
"If you have a flat screen, I'd say that the projector would project the images straight, not bended... let's suppose that the projector is not at the center of the screen: an hypothetic cube on the screen will became a trapezium (trapazoid), but not a sphere!!!"

True. Here is what I mean by barrel distortion A square projected on the screen looks like it is projected on the bulge of a sphere.
------
I have nothing of that at my theater. Since projector are tilted and higher than the screen I have the aperture plate borders on the screen forming a trapezium, but are absolutely straight!!!
Do you think that a lens with minor focal can have the barrel distortion?

Bye
Antonio

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No two lenses are exactly alike. Generally lenses of the same batch and focal length will be close enough to be indistinguishable, but just because two lenses are from the same manufacturer it doesn't mean they are identical. If your two lenses ARE the same focal length, bring yours over to the other theatre and test it. I think you will find that there is no pincushion distortion with your lens.

"Do you think that a lens with minor focal can have the barrel distortion?"

I think you are asking if a short focal length lens can have barrel distortion. The answer is yes, it can, but until the focal length is VERY short it may not be apparent. This is slightly different from the apparent distortion possible with a short lens when a photographer takes a picture too close to a face, and the subject appears to have a Jimmy Durante nose. In photography, a 28mm lens can have some distortion, and "fish-eye" lenses are by nature "distorted" when the image is shown on a flat surface.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

The screen is 15 meters wide and the projector is 21 meters far.

I don't have right here a converter...

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: