Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CIR Splicers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CIR Splicers
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 different kinds of splicers at my theater. I am pretty sure they are CIR, because they all say "Costruzione Incollatrici Rapide ROMA" on the bottom. Here are what they look like.

(The one above says "CIR M.2" on it, so I know this is genuine CIR.}

I have several questions.

1. Is CIR the same as CIRO? If so, where does the "O" come from?
2. Why do these not have the side cutter that springs back up? I thought this was a feature of CIRs.
3. Someone on this site said that CIRs have a screw hole on the bottom for a base plate. None of these have that. I've used economy splicers at my last theater that did have the base plate. I know they were not CIR. What's up with that?
4. In regards to #3, the presence of the name "ferrania" would seem to indicate that it's a knockoff. Yet is still has that phrase whose initials are CIR.

Notice the part that you stick the tape down on to hold it back on the first splicer:

I have never seen this before. I have 2 of this particular kiind of splicer, and on one of them the bar fell out. Does anyone know what this peice is called and where I can get it from? A part number would be great if you have one.

I assume that the M.2 is an older model than the M.3? The two I have look brand new and are in great condition. Im asking about thise because CPI doesn't have the M.2 on their website, only the M.3. Could anyone tell me what models number 2 and 3 are?

Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are all different vintages and models that is why they are different

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2002 09:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

The flashbacks! The nightmares! Take them away! Take them far far away!

Nice splicing tape.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I know you think they blow, but I have no problems with my CIRs. The economy splicers at my last theater were, however, a different story. They were cheap peices of junk.

For the record, I have switched to using only clear tape for building prints. No more zebra tape.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 10:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know I have never had grief from a CIR splicer infact all I own are CIR's as well

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-11-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The M3 is the deluxe version of the splicer. The M2 is the "standard" or no frills version.

The M3 is the only one people should use though (presumming you like the CIR, which I don't have any problem with either).

I was under the impression that CIR and CIRO are the same and only differentiated by their importer (Goldberg uses the CIRO name). They have the same lettering with the "O" going around the "CIR" in the logo.

As to the parts, we can get what ever you want for the M2 or M3 of the CIR/CIRO.

Their part numbers are not fancy...they start with 1 and go up to however many parts are in the splicer.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-11-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The "deluxe version". hehehehahaHAHAHAHARDYHARHAR! What a piece of crap. Nothing beats a Neumade 35SS! Nothing! Once you go Neumade, you'll never go back.

(Assuming Strong fixed that little problem in the review, their splicer is awfully nice too...but I'll take a pair of scissors, a roll of splicing tape and a paper clip before I'll take a CIR splicer. Not even a print of "Freddy Got Fingered" deserves being spliced on a CIR.)

Gordon, make me some sample splices on a CIR and bring them to ShoWest. I want to see how your CIRs are performing. I've never met one that did not deserve to be thrown in a trash compactor.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that is my opinion of neumade splicers (sorry bob)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 11:47 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there has been much debate on this forum about which splicer is best. Unfortunately, I have no control over what equipment my theater uses. I simply want to know about the splicers that I have.

BTW, I have had no problems with my M.2's.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ciro parts manual is here on the manuals page. The main importer of these splicers, J&R Film Company distributes them under the "Ciro" name as J&R Film/Ciro Equipment Company. The Ciro name does come from the "O" around the CIR.

Only the later models of the splicer have the popup cutting arm.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no one is blaming you for the purchasing choice of your theater Ken. However, get yourself a Neumade splicer. Then and only then will you realize what a pile of crap it is that you have now. As it is right now, you just don't know any different. It's kind of like people who have never seen a 70mm print before. Then one day out of the blue they go to some other theater and see 70mm projected onto the screen. Suddenly they realize that the 35mm films they have been running for years that they *thought* looked great just don't cut it.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad: GET A NEUMADE!!! As previously stated: they are so much better than CIR's, but then again most anything is. My reasons for the Neumade is that you don't have to worry about adjusting the gap in the film as you would on a CIR, and the tape goes on oh so smoooooth. Well that's my two cents, hope it helps you convert..

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 01:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(In Homer Simpson mode) MMmmmmmm, Neumade Splicer. I love Neumade splicers. However, I have one of the new Strong splicers and it is pretty damn good too. I absolutely hate those crappy Italian splicers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2002 03:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, did Strong fix that punching plate like I was complaining about in the review?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 03:41 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chistopher said:
"I absolutely hate those crappy Italian splicers."

What do you have against Italians? Italians makes better...

I have a CIR of course. I have to clean it periodically, and align the blades periodically but, after all, it makes its job.
Yes, it left few piece of tape on the splice sometimes but nothing terrible.
If the blades are dirty and in bad alignment, however, it will left piece of tape everywhere and it will not cut the tape correctly.

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: