Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gaumont Kalee model 12

Author Topic: Gaumont Kalee model 12
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, that's my first post here and I'm looking for some information on Gaumont Kalee model 12.
I got one of these projectors a few months ago and I'm still working on putting it to run properly , still need to replace some parts of it.
well, my questions about this projector are a few, I'm planning in re-painting it completely and restoring it to original, or nearly original and any information on htis machie is very welcome .
First of all.. this projector seems to be very different from all the other Kalee's I know and doesn't have the sound head below the projection head, the one I got has a Zeis Ikon soundhead sitting between the lamphouse and projection head, it's the right setup for this machine? I mentioned I'm planning to re-paint it, then, what is hte original color of Kalee's? I worked with models 18 and 21 and both were gold with white details (?), same apply to the lamphouse, mine is the President model, still running carbons ( but I don't have any :/ ) ( in the case of lamphouse, what color it 's painted inside? )

last question is about the intermittent.. mine is making a loud knock noise while running without film and i'm a bit worried about it.. is a loud noise a sign of upcoming problems with the intermittent? the only thing I noticed is that it lowers a little when I turn the frame fully to one of the sides and increases while turned to other.

well.. that's all I have to ask for now.. more to come soon...
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-12-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first off, do you have oil in the machine?
If you do and the movement still knocks, it may be in serious trouble.

JJ

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The knocking when there is no film compared to with film is usually related to the adjustment of the cam/star clearnences

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
generally the Kalee 12 was painted black. In your country there is of course many GK37 projectors in operation with the built in soundhead and the golden finish you are used to seeing. Kalee 12 ( usually with a RCA soundhead ) are also common in Argentina. Kalee had a factory at one time suppling your market also Phillips - Norelco ( that is why they are also so many FP-5 with the separate soundheads in Brazil...which Centauro rebuilds ). Parts may be available and manuals from - Willy Ford - Malvern Film Services - Gaumont Kalee LTD - 14B Cowleigh Road - Great Malvern - Worcs WR12IQD England - Telephone 01684568322.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc www.tvpmiami.com

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 08:26 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..
First thing I did when I got this projector was open it and clean the mech., oil tubes, filter and so on. I did not open or removed the intermittent box in any moment, and the only thing I did on it was remove a grid-like cover to clean it then placed it back on the box,put the cover back and filled the projection head with oil. Then I'm sure it has oil in it and yes, it's being pumped to the places it needs to be, including the intermittent ( I didn't have other way to check it in a clean way, took the cover off and put it to run..)

As I mentioned before, the noise decreases when I turn the frame control clockwise ( starting from the mask centre mark pointing up) and increases when I turn counterclockwise. at first I was thinking that it could be the intermittent's assembly touching somewhere inside the projector, now I'm worried about the clearance of it's parts, I ran a short reel I use to test projectors at work after cleaning and such and didn't notice anything wrong with the image, it's steady on every way.
There is anything I can do to check the intermittent? or is better I take it somewhere to be examinated?

Thanks for the information about the color of this machine. I guess the one I got was repainted a few times already then.
About the soundhead, wich one is best, leave the Zeis Ikon running just like I got it or try to find a Kalee or RCA soundhead and change the setup?

( I'm working with a Philips FP-5 in the theatre I'm on now and, yes, it has a separate soundhead, works good and is silent compared to many other projectors, but I still prefers Simplex, Century or Victorias for some reason)

Thanks

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-12-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, thanks for the correction. Brenkerts refer to that as the radius adjustment. As for the soundhead, if it works well, sounds good, ect. why bother getting a different one. Without getting into a war over it, I like RCA soundheads, drawback is you cant easily get parts for them anymore. besides those, Simplexes(the older style) are decent, supposively having the lowest wow and flutter of other soundheads in the US, except maybe a Kinotone. since I know nothing about Kalee's, I have no idea what they are compatible with as far as mounting is concerned.

Josh

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 12:58 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,
Based on everything that was told me and on what I saw in other theatres I worked, it's possible to mount other kinds of projection heads on Simplex and RCA soundhead as long as the proper mounting adaptors and intermediate gears are provided.
I worked with a Kalee 18, mounted on a Kalee SH and when it got a serious damage ( something got into the shutter cage and locked it causing about half of the gears to self destruct) it was replaced by a Simplex Xl head, and the only thing that was changed was the gears and one metal block that served as adaptor . it worked fine.

Why mine came with a separate, non motorised Sh, I have no clue.
it works ok,but will be a PITA at the time to align a stereo cell on it . ( the drum looks like the ones used on victorias) the one I have in it is mono .

Richard,
thanks for the info on it's color and SH.
the company you mentioned in your message, Centauro, is the one I trust most here . I have a projector they made ( well.. part of it, only a projection head, no pedestal or SH)and it's a well done and simple machine.several years, or better, decades, of work and the mech is like new. I'm working on this one too and it will be back to work in a matter of days . ( maybe i'll have some pics available if my camera don't waste the reel again . GRRRRRR!)

Gordon,
How I can check the star/cam clearance of this intermittent and what kind of tools I'll need to do it?
Or, it's better take it to be checked by someone more experienced in this kind of assembly?

Thank you all for the help

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 04:43 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound head would be one that was fitted to turn a silent machine into sound, I have seen a couple here in AUSTRALIA.

If you would like to send the movement to me I will set it up for you at no cost, you pay postage, You may contact me direct to discuss it if you like.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER.
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-13-2002 07:32 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano,
Centauro was started in 1935 by the grandfather of the present owners - Mariam and her brother - when he left another company to start manufacturing projection equipment, starting with carbon arc lamphouses. Where their office / shop is located was the "film center" district for your country in the 1930's to 1950's....the cinema exhibtors went to buy equipment and book films.
Brazil early start was with the importation of Pathe projectors from France around 1909.
Your country until 1984 was basically a closed market with high import tarrifs and your national government encourged local production of equipment, which in many respects was very good and very flexible.
Centauro, Inchol ( Defaria family ), Phillips, Kalee where many of the brands offered in addition to 16mm sound projectors built in Southern Brazil....quality of some of these items are such they where exported as far as Mexico......at UCLA, the famous university in Los Angeles, there is an Inchol as part of their projection equipment collection......some special projectors manufactured was a 16/35/70mm projector with a lamphouse with an adjustable mounting to work all formats which your government purchased.
Today you have Cinemeccanica, Christie, Kinotone, Simplex, Century but there still many Phillips, Inchol, Kalee GK-37 units working everyday.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc./Que oferece uma linha completa de equipamentos para cinemas. www.tvpmiami.com

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,
Thanks for your offer in setting the intermittent to me,but I got the confirmation I was afraid of today.
I took the intermittent assy to be inspected in two different shops here and both gave me the same result. at some point of it's working life, the projector i got ran out of oil or had some problem with it.
result: no oil in the intermittent box both parts, star/cam, has scratches on it's surfaces and they're not bright as others parts they showed me.
I think that there's not much to do with this one now. It'll run ok, except for the loud noise. I'll see if i can find a replacement for it ( new parts or complete assembly) or maybe get another projector and junk this one ( and that's something I don't want to do...)

Richard,
Seems you know a lot of things about theatre equipment and shops from here and there's an Inchol ( well. .I know them as Incol) in UCLA?? wow.. that one traveled a bit.
The place you refers as the film centre, still has at least two companies and the film depot is located there too. I believe that's what has left from everything that it used to be before.I'm always around there ,talking to theatre people and techs and looking for a job opportunity in one of these shops. ( I'm not good with mechanics but I'm learning. my deal is more with electric/electronic for now.)

Thanks all

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-13-2002 01:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano,
you are right on the spelling INCOL. I just type very poor before my first coffee....many of these are still working in Brasilia in many government agencies and your Congress has two 35/70 and one 16/35mm projectors which can show movies to your senators.
Too bad on your star and cam.....In Buenos Aires there is a street lined with cinemas built in the late 1930's with seating from 1200 - 2000 seats...there are several Kalee 12 units in operation with DTS readers installed giving excellent projection on 12 - 14 meter screens in 1998....they are probably still running.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com....site em portugues

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano

I have a selection of used cross and cams for kalee, The offer still stands.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER.
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 10:45 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.. now I'll get a silly look in my face with this post..

Even after having two people saying my intermittent was bad, I still took it to another tech inspect, but instead of taking only the movement, took the entire projection head, the guy took it off, inspected and.. " hey dude.. there's no problem in it.." he even put it ro run outside the projector and .. no noise. worked just silent.
The problem turned to be in the projection head, but at the time I was so mad at myself that decided to leave it as is.. Curiously, after putting the movement back in it's place, the noise decreased a little when the projector is running..
Ok, you all can make fun of me now.... I still sucks with mechanics but I'm not lowering my head to it.. I'm learning with my mistakes.. even if I get funny things said about me here and there
Gimme a booth to set up.. I'll do it.. set up a sound system.. will do. but fix a mech. problem.. wait a few years..
Now I know it won't annoy me except with the noise.. I gotta decide what kind of light source I'll use with it..
I got a lot of suggestions from people I know here ( no, not here on FT) but I thinkh tat many aren't ok for things done right.. maybe I should post a different topic to discuss it.. any sugestions ??

Laters!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-21-2002 11:20 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano,
a Kalee tank is hard to kill. What cinema do you work in Sao Paulo?
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I believe that it's right. I don't know how old this porjector I have is, but it'll run for several years and even more. I'm thinking about getting the other machine that worked with this one and make the pair again, the chances are extremly minimal, but who knows?
( at this time I was thinking about a tower system but if the other projector is still avaialbe, I'd get it for less than a new tower )

Right now I'm working at the Eldorado theatre #4 ( Eldorado mall here in Sao Paulo,Brazil) , night shift ( 7Pm to 12AM)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: