Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cp50 prob/questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: cp50 prob/questions
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently bought a cp50 that was supposed to be in working order when removed from service. It contains cat113c and 280t cards. I hooked it up and can only get sound in bypass mode? Does this mean that something in the system is defective or could it possibly be hooked up wrong? I hooked the stereo cell up as explained in the manual and left and right outputs to my amp as in the manual. Also, is SR the same as SRD? Thanks for any info.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-12-2002 03:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a fader connected to it? The CP50 requires an external fader; do a search through the forum and you'll find a post that tells you what you can get at Radio Shack that will do the trick. The Dolby remote auditorium fader will also work.

Another possibility is that one of the cards is either bad or not seated properly. The output card could have the levels set too low, also.

SR is not the same as SRD. SR is a newer noise reduction scheme; it's like Dolby A, but better. Since you have the cat 280T cards, you can play SR prints properly. IF you want to play older Dolby A prints, you will need a set of cat. 22 cards. SRD is Dolby's digital sound system; all (well, most) SRD prints also have an SR optical track.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st the ce;ll doesn't connect to amps but to preamp input
I am assuming that you had sound when you had the pink noise generator in it so that would determin that the eq and fader cards are working
And since there is sound in bypass the preamp card is working os the problems are possibly the bass extension card or the cat 110L put in incorrectly the NR cards or the meter cards

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will go with Scott's guess that there is no fader hooked up; an external one (just a simple potentiometer) is mandatory. Gordon, I doubt he has a pink noise generator card so pretty much *anything* except the pre-amp and power supply could be bad or in wrong.

Some trouble shooting hints: In by-pass you are sending sound directly from the pre-amp to the output by way of the 113C control card. Normal signal progression is from left to right, preamp, NR cards, meter card (the meters themselves are driven by the NR cards but the meter card is also where the Academy roll-off filter for mono is found). Then assuming you have a Cat. 150 2:4 decoder the slot before it will either contain a subwoofer card (Cat. 160) OR the 110L link card Gordon refers to which must be in place to pass the signal unless someone has jumpered the connections on the backplane. Then the 150, then the EQ, and finally the output card. Note that after the 4 channel electronic fader the output card contains only 2 line drive amps and these are for Center and Surround. The L and R signals are routed BACk to the NR cards to make use of line amps found on them (it let them save a few bucks), then all four appear at the output terminals. If you have a prehistoric stereo decoder, there will be an LCR card where we talked about the link card OR subwooder card, and then a Surround card (two bolted together actually) in the slot where we talked about the Cat. 150 2:4 card. I doubt you have that old stuff since the 113C card indicates a CP-50 that has been updated. Hope this helps you trace it out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, You need a 100K linear potentiometer for a fader on the CP-50. You won't get a peep without it. If you have it all hooked up correctly and you achieve Dolby tone without any other problems then the preamp section is ok.

On a CP-50 though the power supply is barely big enough to power the unit with the 113C card and a pair of CAT 280T's. If U plug in a new 108C preamp card it will lower the B+ to the point that some of the cards cease to function properly. If it seems that the level cannot be achieved or if it comes up sounding ok and then fades out, check the B+ lines and you'll probably find one of them quite a bit lower than it should be. On a unit this old its also a good idea to replace the power supply caps inside the power supply. I've found many of them actually leaking electrolyte. Several have had hum problems stemming from aged power supply components. Ya have to stop and consider that most electrolytics have a rated life of 5 to 10 years and many of the 50's out there are far older than that!

On another note replacing the caps will not correct a sagging power supply problem either. There are two options for this problem. The forst and expensive way out is to buy the newer uprated power supply fomr Dolby at about 450.00. The second way which is cheaper and actually better is to build a whole new supply for it and can the original which is way to under rated for an upgraded 50. I ahve a completely upgraded 50 in my screening room and the supply I built is competely regulated on all lines and cost under 75.00 to build with all new parts, including a new toroid power transformer. The supply is now outboarded as well. The CP-50 can be a great sounding unit, easily surpassing the sound quality of the newer digital processors quite easily. For best performance you should also have the new cat 417 fader card in there as well to handle the higher playback levels of SR tracks.
Mark @ GTS

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are so smart. I wish I knew more, Im learning. I checked to be sure all the cards are seated properly and they are. Where would I connect the fader control to? THere is a fader control on the cat113c that adjust volume in bypass mode, does it not work the same if it were not in bypass or do I need another fader control somewhere else? Would it be better to go back to a cat112? MARK, the power supply you talked about building, do you have plans for building it? Thanks.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fader on the 113C is just for bypass. Connect the main fader to the terminal strip on the back, upper left, 2nd from left (SK2), "AUTO FADER." It connects accross terminals 5 and 6. Your potentiometer will have a center contact for the wiper and two end contacts. One wire goes to the wiper; the other goes to the that end of the pot. which represents full volume (clockwise when viewed from the front).

No reason to go back to the 112 although the funky mechanical buttons were kind of fun (if unfamiliar, these are buttons whose internal labels changed as you push or release them). The purpose of the 113C was to enable format control via automation via the usual contact closures. The 112 not only had mechanical buttons also required several to be pushed (NR on or off, Stereo or mono, Surround on or off).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2002 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Yes I have the plans around here someplace. I'll dig em out and e-mail them to you.The supply would only be needed if you upgrade beyond a cat 113c and two cat 280T's. The stock unit will run that much but JUST BARELY!
There is a connection terminal block at the top near the center that is labeled for the fader. Connect the wiper of the 100K linear taper potentiometer to SK2, terminal 5, labeled auto/fader. Connect the top of the pot to SK2 terminal 6 which is a B+ terminal. The other end of the pot is not connected. If the fader works backwards after connection, just move the wire at the top of the pot to the oposite end. Now that was easy, wasn't it?
Mark @ GTS

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quick and dirty varification of the fader card...short the "Auto Fader" terminals (BTW nobody uses the designator B+ when referring to the Dolby power supply rails except Mark G. so don't go looking for it, the CP-50 runs on +24, +12 and -12VDC)

As Mark has pointed out...the power supply (Cat. 114) was a very simple brute force supply that had just enough current to handle a stock CP-50. I've seen the +/- 12 volt rails dip down below 10 volts! (they start out at around +/-15 volts).

Ideally, you would want a good +/- 15 volt supply and +24 volt supply...the +/-15 volt rails are the ones that take the biggest hit when you upgrade. I believe the NR cards use only the +24 volt rail since they must be backwards compatible to old pro-audio systems.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2002 12:49 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who know these CPs backwards and forwards, is there any easy way to install a switch to knock out the Academy curve out of the circuit -- a manual switch would do fine or would this require drastic surgery on the card? I would sure like to be able to switch that high-end roll-off out of the Mono format as we get lots of foreign mono prints that don't need that roll-off. And plenty of later Hollywood prints too for that matter. Leave the high-cut filter out and it sounds much better.

How do I know? because we had down and dirty setup in one booth where we were just going directly from the cells directly into a standard Shure mic preamp with no EQ at all and the thing sounded great -- plenty of high-end. I remember the first film we ran on that setup was YELLOW SUBMARINE and it sounded almost like the kind of response you got with mag. I remember being very impressed. We added an outboard EQ and only had to give the bottom end a bit of a boost but other than that, the high-end was very smooth.

I don't see the need to use any curve at all since the Academy curve was only a low-pass filter to cut down on the high-end noise of the old tracks. It wasn't any compensation for high-end boost in the recording process. We played all those mono prints from the 60s and 70s and they sounded fine before we had enough money to get real gear (Dolby). Rolling off the high-end just seems like it would be a step backwards. Any thoughts?

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 01:52 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I think the easiest way to dispense with the Academy filter may be to run in Dolby Stereo mode/no surround and turn off the noise reduction. There may be diode mod for this but I don't know the CP50 all that well. How about it Steve or Steve? Otherwise you could add a switch which shorts the two NR Signal lines to ground, which appear at pins 8 (and 9) on each NR card slot.

One big difference though between your Shure preamp and the CP50 is the slit compensation circuit which adds about 16dB of boost at some frequency in the region of 10 to 20kHz, depending on your slit size. This would most likely make your unfiltered mono films sound very brittle and crackly. Add to this the effects of any high end boost in the room eq and your unfiltered mono films may sound really awful.

A more preferrable alternative may be to modify the Academy filters for a more gentle roll-off, say 6dB/octave rather than 12dB/octave. This could probably be done simply by shorting out inductors L101 and L201 on the Cat109 card. This should give a 6dB/octave rolloff with a 3dB down point at about 5.4kHz. If you want to try this let me know and I can look into it further for you.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2002 05:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Steve and Steve are probably sound asleep right now but I'm up heading to south central Utah on a call so I thought I'd grab this one. Steve, sorry for the generalization use of B+, but it is just that, a generalization to say there is juice at that point, It is used quite often in some areas of the industry, probably more often that we'd like to see it at any rate. Its a terminal with available electrons and thats all one really needs to know when hooking it up, especially if one is not knowledgable about this stuff.

Frank,
I don't think turning the NR on and running that way is a good idea as the NR may add its own artifacts to an un-encoded audio program. This is further complicated in units that have a CAT 113C automation switch card. On this card there is no NR off and on button, its patterned after a CP-55/65 processor that only allows certain pre-selected formats that are designed into the 113C card. Fortunately there is a mono(01) select button on this card.

Adding a switch for disabling the academy filter is easy and there are two ways to do it. The quick and and easy way is to lift the junction of R102(R-202) and L-101(L202) and insert a spst dip switch there to open , or close this junction. There is plenty wide open space to add one of these into the card quite easily. You could also add a DIP switch to the rear of the backplane as well just by opening up the pin 10 trace of the meter card and inserting the same DIP switch there. This is labeled + for NR off on the drawing(there's that darn refernce to b+ again right on the CP-50 schematic Steve, courtesy of none other than Dolby!)Either way is good but I prefer the switch installed on the meter card as its out of sight and out of mind from other operators curiosity. The final option is to pull L101 (201) off the pcb entirely to disable the darn thing all together. I always felt it had bit to steep of roll off and perhaps Dolby intended it to be that way. Only poor mono tracks with lots of over modulation, or very worn tracks will be more noticable. Clean mono tracks sound lots better IMHO without the filter in place. Even old variable density tracks can sound great with the filter removed, although there will be a bit more noticable background noise on these.
Mark @ GTS

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-13-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"This is labeled + for NR off
on the drawing(there's that darn refernce to b+ again right on the CP-50 schematic Steve, courtesy of
none other than Dolby!)"<<

Boy do you like to use things out of context! The "+" in this instance is for a logic input such that it is active high or high for on. The "+" merely refers to "high". There is no mention of "B" in there.

Now back to the subject...personally, I think you are dead wrong on the Academy filter. It is proper to be in there for mono film, even recent ones. While I don't doubt that there may be SOME films that did not have a pre-emphasis, that wouldn't be the norm. Mono films were mixed with the presumption that you had the typical sounding theatre from the '30s or so (before equalization in the current sense was used). With a modern cinema processor, one can tune a theatre for "flat". This equalization does not make your theatre look like one from the '30s. The Academy filter does and thus makes your theatre sound closer to what the director/mixers heard when they mixed the film.

As to not running with the filter making the films sound "better" or brighter..., perhaps, subjectively but it isn't they way they were supposed to sound. Your position is similar to that which I heard back in the '70s when using cassette recorders...encode with Dolby-B and playback without...after all, using Dolby-B on the playback kills the highs! No it really doesn't (unless your recorder was rather poor) but most people tend to boost the treble to make it crisp....if that is the case, then use the treble control, not the filter or NR.

Now, if you insist on having a switchable filter, I'd vote for putting the switch on the rear and switch pin-10 (open for filter off, closed to follow normal CP-50 logic)

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2002 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I am just trying to keep things in layman terms for those that could care less if its logic level, b+, b-,c+ or ground.
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-13-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at a feature post production center we had a CP50 in our largest screening room and I had it modified so I could feed dubbers and other gear through it. It bears mentioning here that on a stock 50 the non-sync/mag inputs are switched directly to the outputs--no EQ, no fader, no nuttin. I modified it so I could feed into the pre-amp card just before the changeover switching FET's. This way I had two Lt/Rt inputs to feed dubbers to. A couple of small switches on a plate attached to the preamp card did the optical vs. "other" switching. I had a selector switch on a rackplate to allow other sources such as 16mm (being mono, it fed both Lt and Rt lines). To avoid the Academy rolloff when NR was off I had the switch others have described--I put mine right on the meter card between the meter. There were probably more elegant ways to do this but it worked well. David Gray from Dolby told me where to tap in from memory on his cel phone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: