Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which Slide projectors to use?

Author Topic: Which Slide projectors to use?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What slide projectors are most reliable for on screen ads?
Best place to buy?
Anyone willing to share how they are making their own slides?
I'm sure it can be done with transparency's and a printer?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-13-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can make your own B&W slides pretty easily with a 35mm SLR camera, a makeshift copy stand, and Kodak "Ektagraphic HC" film. This is the same Kodalith material that is used for making negatives for offset printing--i.e. it is a very dense, high contrast negative material. Motion-picture sound recording film also works. You can develop either of these at home with only a developing tank and a changing bag. Essentially, you create the artwork as black-test-on-white using a laser printer, etc. You photograph it and develop the negative, which produces clear text on a black background. This is a simple and cheap way to create decent-looking slides.

I've been happy with both Telex projectors and Kodak Ektagraphic projectors. Some people have posted that the Telex models hold up better over time. I haven't had trouble with either brand.

Regardless of the projector type, be sure to use glass slide mounts and "flat-field" projection lenses. Avoid zoom lenses if possible. Get the bright EXW bulbs, not the cheap and dim bulbs. Dim slides look awful on large screens. Consider a dual-projector system with a dissolve unit for smooth crossfades.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go buying slide projectors until you have checked over the contract of whoever you are going to sign up with for onscreen ads. Most of them provide the projectors for you.

If you have a choice, go for the Telex units. I've never had one fail.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: